Want to bring new life to a Magcharger.

Helmet

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of Magchargers lying around. Unfortunately none of them is being much used anymore, mostly because of their power/size factor. I'd like to upgrade at least one of the Magchargers with a led kit, and would be happy if someone who have installed a led kit would share their experience.

It seems it's not many kit to choose from, but I have found kits from Terralux and Malkoff.
I have no use for a dedicated thrower. My usage is to light up the area in front of me or around me, both indoors and outdoors. I will probably continue to use the nicd batteries as I have a few of them, except if there is a drop-in lipo/li-ion alternativ available.

So what do you guys say? Terralux, Malkoff or something else?

Thanks. :)

tjhabak

Enlightened
The Terralux isn't bad, but the Malkoff would be the way to go. The current model has a smooth mirror reflector but should still have pretty decent spill. It definitely will not be a "dedicated thrower." The tint will be much nicer too. They are currently out of stock, but you can sign up to be notified as soon as there are more. Most of the time it only takes a week or two. Malkoff is a great company to deal with. I had an issue with a C Mag drop-ins and after a few emails Gene called me in person to discuss it. He's a great guy!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in 2006 I did a "long term review" of my magcharger, Last year when it finally needed another battery pack I went ahead and got the Teralux MiniStar31MR-EX upgrade. I quickly discovered that the "hi-med-low" adjustable mode was just too quirky for my taste (I think it has something to do with my older model switch) and flipped the little switch to "full power all the time" mode which is fine for me since I'm using it to cover football-field sized swaths of territory.

Malkoff makes awesome stuff and there is no denying that, but the Teralux has proven to be no slouch in real world use and makes the original MagCharger configuration (once the gold standard of off-the-shelf lights) look very sad.

Helmet

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback folks. :)

I quickly discovered that the "hi-med-low" adjustable mode was just too quirky for my taste (I think it has something to do with my older model switch) and flipped the little switch to "full power all the time" mode which is fine for me since I'm using it to cover football-field sized swaths of territory.

Exactly how does the multi-mode UI on the Terralux work?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly how does the multi-mode UI on the Terralux work?
click click click (comes on high, turns off, comes on med, turns off, comes on low)
Mine would skip randomly sometimes Hi-Low or skip over high, etc. Like I said, I got erratic results but ultimately didn't care because if the mag-charger comes off the wall in the house it's time to light up the NEIGHBORHOOD!

There is a tiny little switch on the side of the module that sets it to "multi level" or "just high". Since it's inside the head, you kinda have to choose as you have to disassemble to go to the other setting.

Helmet

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so it starts the multi-mode with high output. That's not the best UI imo. I'd rather have it work the other way around. The Malkoff seems to be a nice kit, pitty it's only single mode.

I have to think through this some more before I make up my mind.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gave my brother my old MagCharger, on my suggestion he brought the Malkoff drop-in for it. The upgrade is a noticeable improvement. The way it inserts seems a little flimsy at first but once the head is on it's solid. I would recommend it.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one for a 4-6 D, and a Mag Charger. Both of mine always start in high mode.
Interesting. Mine never functioned that way. Maybe I have a lemon. It doesn't really matter to me though because as I said I set mine to "always high" and it's been FANTASTIC in use.

sadtimes

Enlightened
I put in a ceramic socket, metal MOP reflector and phillips 1161 (?) bulb from fivemega. I love that thing, stays on the cradle by the backdoor as my nightly use for taking the dog/trash/things that go bump in the night and I forget to grab my SST-90 mag from beside the bed.

Its got plenty of throw and spill, its just like adding 600 extra lumens to the regular light.. you will enjoy it.

Helmet

Newly Enlightened
Finally I went for the Terralux kit. I have used it for a couple of months now, and I'm quite happy with it. This is really a nice upgrade for the Magcharger. I'm in no position to verify the claimed lumens, but compared to the original Magcharger this is almost literally night and day in difference. :)

So far I've only used the kit in a newer Magcharger housing with the newer on/off switch, so I have not been able to try out the 3 mode functionality yet. I have an old housing somewhere, and I will try out the 3 mode functionality when I stumble across the old housing again.

The only thing I can point my finger at is the runtime. Terralux claims 2 hours runtime on high. That's way beyond what I can squeeze out of it, after about ~70 minutes it's pretty much over. Either Terralux have measured runtime with 3.5Ah batteries or my old nicd batteries are getting weak (which is probably the case).

Anyway, I think the Terralux MiniStar 31 MR-EX is a nice and worthy upgrade for the Magcharger. :)

Last edited:

Helmet

Newly Enlightened
I think I have to get a couple of new battery packs for my Magcharger. I have tried to search the forum for 1/2D batteries, but it wasn't easy to find any recent info on either 1/2D packs or single batteries. If someone can give me an advice for good, high capacity 1/2D batteries or packs I'd be really grateful. :)

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Mag-Charger. It's the newest halogen version with NiMH battery and electronic switch. I know the LED version is out, but I got a very good deal on this one ($50 new) and I figured I could upgrade it with brighter halogen bulbs, or with an LED drop in.

I'd prefer the Malkoff drop in, but that hasn't been available for a while. Maybe he's discontinued them? Will the Terralux upgrade work with the multimode switch? I figure I could set the module to constant high, and the mag switch would still work. Has anyone tried it? Also, does the Malkoff drop in work with this model MC (multimodes)?

Helmet

Newly Enlightened
Will the Terralux upgrade work with the multimode switch? I figure I could set the module to constant high, and the mag switch would still work.

In single-mode (high-output-only) it will work perfect. In multi-mode it will flicker through 2, 3 or 4 modes every time you push the button, making it really difficult to enter the mode you want to use.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
That's what I was thinking. Do you happen to know what emitters it uses?