Wuben        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN32-"I hope it does not happen to you!!!"

Banned

Default TN32-"I hope it does not happen to you!!!"

Ever hear of the group called "Cream"..........from the 60's,,,,,Eric Clapton? Anyway In the song, "BORN UNDER A BAD SIGN" they say, "If I didn't have bad luck I would not have any luck at all"!!!

In all honesty it has not been that bad but I have had my share of Condensation issues with Four of my power house torches,,,,,,,the silica gel treatment has resolved and is resolving those issues.

The TN32 was one of the lights that had condensation under the lens the second time I used it. Tonight was the 5th time I used it and since I started Silica Gel therapy it has not come back!

Ok,,,,,,,,tonight, 20 minutes into my mini hike w/ Capo My Siberian I just happened to check the lens. I was baffled! There was not condensation, the lens looked FROSTED! I took another look and realized this must be some gas or vapor,,,,,,,,I could not see the LED. It was Opaque, like a dense fog! I turned it off and then back on and noticed the output had diminished tremendously!

Thank God for my TK35[and other back up lights I bring!]. I mean that! This dirt country road had more travel because of a road closing! Without a torch , I would be *%##%%!!!

Back to the TN32. After a few minutes when the Fog had settled I shined my TK35[on low at an angle of course!] across the lens and noticed that THE LED WAS FRIED!!!

Things happen,obviously a defective LED or something shorted out causing it to BURN UP!!! BTW I bought it on January 12, 2014!

I do not know exactly how these operate. I do know Thrunite boosted the amps. on this version to around 6amps. Could that be the cause?? I do not know,,,,,,,,the experts can evaluate, discuss and determine that!

The good news is I am a FLASHAHOLIC!! I get to use the K40vn more,,,,my newest torch and a very awesome one! I love my TK75, M3X, OSTS TN31mb and my X10vn!

Also,,,,,,,,,,,,I love my dealer!! They have ALWAYS taken care of me,,,,,,I have my return label, box is packed and they[IS] will be sending me a new TN32 in a few days!

I did take pictures before I packed it in the box!! I probably do not need to tell you this but I will!!

The REFLECTOR has magnified the Burnt LED and displays the image of it!!! Pretty cool pics.!

What is the cause Gentlemen? "TIME IS YOURS" PICTURES BELOW!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: TN32-"I hope it does not happen to you!!!"

Wow, that is wild. I have not seen an LED look like that before. I wonder if it was just a weak LED or something? Many people have been driving XM-L2 LEDs on copper MCPCB at 6-6.5 amps with no problems. Thanks for posting pics as that clears up people questioning you about saying the LED is fried!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tone View Post
    Wow, that is wild. I have not seen an LED look like that before. I wonder if it was just a weak LED or something? Many people have been driving XM-L2 LEDs on copper MCPCB at 6-6.5 amps with no problems. Thanks for posting pics as that clears up people questioning you about saying the LED is fried!
    Your welcome!! Craig from IS said he never heard of one frying!! Leave it to me to get one!

If the TN32 was my only high powered torch, I would be bummed!........I have a healthy collection like most of us "Flashaholics!"

Don't worry, Capolini, we will get a replacement to you since the light is covered under a 2 year warranty. It looks as if there was a small gap between the LED and the copper star. Due to the high current of 6.5A the LED probably overheated in that spot and was damaged. Please don't worry, we will replace it for you.
    Last edited by ThruNite; 01-31-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: dd

Holy cow! Looks to me like the emitter die was missing solder under the half that went bad and the heat from that area couldn't get into the MCPCB.

Sorry to hear that,Roberto! That light does not look good at all!

Ive never seen anything like that before happen to a LED. Its good to know however that your going to get a replacement light for this defective TN32. It would be interesting to know if the condensation in combination with cold has anything to do with this issue or if its caused by something else?
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    Sorry to hear that,Roberto! That light does not look good at all!

Ive never seen anything like that before happen to a LED. Its good to know however that your going to get a replacement light for this defective TN32. It would be interesting to know if the condensation in combination with cold has anything to do with this issue or if its caused by something else?
    Hi David!,

It only formed condensation under the lens once,this was the 5th time I used it. Something was defective with the LED and or the way it was mounted. That is my guess. Temperature[outside] and condensation [10 days ago] I do not think had anything to do with its self destruction!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capolini View Post
    Hi David!,

It only formed condensation under the lens once,this was the 5th time I used it. Something was defective with the LED and or the way it was mounted. That is my guess. Temperature[outside] and condensation [10 days ago] I do not think had anything to do with its self destruction!!!
    If so then the issue is probably caused by some other defective with the LED. However i can read from ThruNites reply that you will get a replacement light so it will be allright.
    LED: Olight I1 EOS,Olight S1,S1R,S2,S10R,S10RII,S15R,S20R,S30R,S30RII,S30R Javelot,Nitecore SRT7,Sunwayman V20C,Sunwayman R10A,FourSevens Atom AL,Fenix TK75 2015,Crelant CH10, and more

My guess is the LED was not mounted on the heat sink with enough solder paste. I have witness MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY LEDs not mounted with sufficient solder paste from every company.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    My guess is the LED was not mounted on the heat sink with enough solder paste. I have witness MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY LEDs not mounted with sufficient solder paste from every company.

Makes sense to me! I am sure you have seen Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds of LED'S throughout the process of all your Mods!!

My TN32 "was" a great torch!. The TN32 still "is" a great torch.

I would not let this DETER anyone from purchasing the TN32 unless what appears to be an isolated incident becomes a somewhat common occurrence.

Roberto's TN32, "QUI RIPOSA IN PACE"!!!
    Last edited by Capolini; 02-01-2014 at 04:50 AM.

Flashaholic*

It's good to see Thrunite is taking care of it. My guess is this will be an isolated incident but only time will tell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tone View Post
    It's good to see Thrunite is taking care of it. My guess is this will be an isolated incident but only time will tell.
    I agree Mr. Tone!! In fact, you "SET THE TONE[!!!]" by being the first person to post on my thread!

This is a bit technical!

However, It is more like this! Illumination Supply is taking care of me[ as they always do] and in turn, Thrunite Should take care of Illumination Supply, resulting in both Capolini and Illumination Supply being taking care of by Thrunite,,,,,,,AS THEY SHOULD BE!
    Last edited by Capolini; 02-01-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Sorry to here roberto,you are the man to test these lights to their full(in more than one way) be it outside temps and time on high/turbo.As said by the experts it sounds like a manufacturing issue.
    I am sort of on the line about this light,more for getting one and how things are resolved certainly gives piece of mind come any issue(which can happen to any make of light)
    Very reassuring its all in hand and Thrunite/IS will soon have another in your hands.

Flashaholic*

I agree Mr. Tone!! In fact, you "SET THE TONE[!!!]" by being the first person to post on my thread!

This is a bit technical!

However, It is more like this! Illumination Supply is taking care of me[ as they always do] and in turn, Thrunite Should take care of Illumination Supply, resulting in both Capolini and Illumination Supply being taking care of by Thrunite,,,,,,,AS THEY SHOULD BE!
    Yes, that would be the proper chain of events

Banned

Gday Roberto, your real world use provides a valuable and real guide of reliability and performance to all of us with your ever expanding collection of the latest and greatest lights. I think as others have said it looks like a poorly mounted led to pcb and 6amps of current took care of the rest. It will be interesting to see how quickly this is resolved and more importantly how the new one handles the 'The Capolini factor' real world use-thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Gday Roberto, your real world use provides a valuable and real guide of reliability and performance to all of us with your ever expanding collection of the latest and greatest lights. I think as others have said it looks like a poorly mounted led to pcb and 6amps of current took care of the rest. It will be interesting to see how quickly this is resolved and more importantly how the new one handles the 'The Capolini factor' real world use-thanks.
    Gday mate!!

As far as how quickly it will be resolved,,it is already in motion as Illumination Supply will be sending me my new torch next week.I live 30 miles NW of Philadelphia,,,,,,,,,I sent it back at 9 AM[was first person at V.F. Post office]!! It is ready to board a plane destined for San Jose, Ca. as I type this!

Unless the "This" in how quickly it will be resolved is in regards to Thrunite correcting the glitch,,,,,,I don't know. Like they say,,"Haste makes Waste".. The person who built the defective part of my torch was probably RUSHING/IN A HURRY!! lol!

As far as "The Capolini Factor"[I got a kick out of your terminology!!]. I am actually toning down "Constant Turbo on all my torches!!I am starting to use the other levels about 15 to 20 minutes out of my 65 to 70 minute mini hike!!

GUESS WHAT??? IT WILL BE DARK IN 25 MINUTES!!

TONIGHTS LINEUP: K40vn with the X10vn getting around 20 minutes of use as the back up torch!!

Have a good Day/Night,,,,Down under!!

The heating should not be a problem for this big lights used outdoor in the cold weather.
    You and Capo are the best real world testers for this lights.
    Hope you will have a new TN32 soon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLion View Post
    The heating should not be a problem for this big lights used outdoor in the cold weather.
    You and Capo are the best real world testers for this lights.
    Hope you will have a new TN32 soon.
    Thanks Flashlion!

Illumination Supply is very accommodating. the new torch will be here next week.

I am grateful to have so many torches to enjoy! I went on one of my favorite hiking trails that is close to home. I really enjoyed the K40vn and the X10vn! They are both awesome torches.

The TN32 is no slouch,especially for a stock torch! I am moving to Norway so i can have more darkness to enjoy all my torches!!!

For some reason, the lyrics for "Hound Dog" keep playing in my head.

Wonder why that is?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dss_777 View Post
    For some reason, the lyrics for "Hound Dog" keep playing in my head.

Wonder why that is?

Jimi Hendrix version?

When I read your story, I thought of Blind Faith - I'm wasted and can't find my way home.

Jimi Hendrix version?
    No, Gene Malkoff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dss_777 View Post
    No, Gene Malkoff.

I knew that is what/who you meant!! lol!

Vihn and OSTS/OMG [Michael Johnson] have served me well!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    When I read your story, I thought of Blind Faith - I'm wasted and can't find my way home.
    Really??!! But I had back up lights!!! lol!

Ever since I eliminated certain substances, I "Always find my way home"!!

I meant the light - honestly.

Banned

ok,,I guess that went over my head!

"ot" from the "op"!

How is Biscuit? Capo is LOVING the Snow,,,we got 9" today.

We haven't had any snow - we're too low. Just grey, fog and rain. Saturday was nice and Biscuit and I went for a long walk in the farm fields, orchids and vineyards by our house. The cows are in the barn for the winter even if it isn't that cold. The French alps, including Mont Blanc, on one side and the Jura (small mountains = hills) on the other side. Really beautiful.

Too bad your light is wasted.

Banned

"YOYOMAN" SAID-Too bad your light is wasted.

Good news is Illumination supply is a great dealer....New torch will be here in a few days and I have plenty of nice torches to guide Capo and I in the mean time!

I've also had good experiences with Illumination Supply.

Yes, you need a good light to guide the way. Here's something that really throws - DEFT-X

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    I've also had good experiences with Illumination Supply.

Yes, you need a good light to guide the way. Here's something that really throws - DEFT-X
    Nice torch!! lighting up the daylight!

I believe that goes a bit over a mile! I have chatted with a few people who have one!

If my eyes and aim were good enough there would probably be enough illumination to "spot a deer" from .75/.85[?] miles away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast