Looking for some outdoor, attic and bedroom light bulbs

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
Let me start with the attic first. There is a single bulb. I figured the best way to get the most light is to use CFL or LED so I don't go over the fixture rating. CFL will take a bit to obtain full brightness though. It takes a normal screw in bulb and size doesn't matter. The brighter, the better.

Outdoor number 1, the back door. I've had a 42w CFL in it for a while. It isn't outdoor rated though. I don't really have to worry about it getting wet too much due to the way the wind blow the rain. It takes forever to warm up but provides a decent amount of light once it does. I'd like to leave it on for security purposes. I'm looking for an LED bulb to replace it.

Outdoor number 2, front of the house. I like to have the front of the house lit up pretty well for security reasons and to have a decent amount of light in the front yard. What I have now doesn't go into the neighbors yard which is fine with me since I don't need something that bright. I know this is a long shot. Is there something that will provide 800-1000 lumens of white light but also allow custom colors? I change out the bulbs around some holidays with some that are colored. I've seen bulbs that use a remote of some sort to change the color. I'll report back the with CFL wattage once I pull one out to check it.

I have two bedrooms with fans that have a 3 bulb fixture. The sockets are the normal sized ones. I have 10w CFLs in the right now. I'd like something that is a little brighter in the 3000k to 3500k range, dimmable and doesn't look funky since they are visible. I'd say they aim down at about a 45 degree angle and have frosted shades. I want something a little brighter for when I want more light but dimmable just to provide some lighting other times.

CRI doesn't really matter much. Higher would be better as long as it doesn't use more electricity such as the Cree TW 60w equivalent over the normal Cree 60w equivalent.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attic: Even the most feeble of wiring should support 5 amps x 120 volts, 600 watts. I use a 90 degree y-splitter with 2x 150 watt halogens (Philips? ~2400 lumens BT type bulb), found on clearance cart of Lowes for $4 each. If you are set on CFL, there are 4-way splitters on Amazon, meant for photographic work. Why LED? Just for the instant on

Outdoor#1: Is that a general purpose A-type, or directional BR / PAR type. Because the highest output general purpose A-type is only 125 watt equivalent.

Outdoor#2: The Philips HUE system is stupid expensive, with only a 600 lumen rating. Others are getting into remote control, don't know if they also do color changing.

Fan(s): There is a large chasm between the nearly ubiquitous 2700K incandescent replacement and 5000K cool-white. 3M is unique with a 4000K 60 watt replacement, but has many downsides: mass, distribution, flicker?

IMO, you want a 90 or better CRI for the bathroom, and the food prep area.

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
Attic: I'd prefer the LED for instant on. It is pitch black up there. The switch and light are right at the top of the stairs. There are other things on that circuit such as HVAC controls and some other outlets.

Outdoor #1 is a single base up A19. The bottom of the lamp is open so length doesn't matter.

Outdoor #2: I might just stick with what I've been doing for now and continue looking for new stuff new to the market.

Fans: I might pick up one of those 3M LED bulbs next time I go near a Home Depot to check out. HD doesn't exist in my town. Luckily there is a Lowe's though.

I'm not picky about CRI. I have daytime white CFLs above the sink and a 15w 5000k PAR30 LED above the shower. The kitchen does have Cree LR6C in the ceiling though. I still want install some custom LED strips under the cabinets. I just haven't figured out what to do about power or what LEDs to use. My plan is to use thermal adhesive to mount them to aluminum or copper strips.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feit just introduced a 100w non-remote phosphor A21, and I am waiting to see the price at Menards. Hopefully they simplify their pricing $24-100, $18-75, $12-60, $6-40. There isn't a Menards in S.C., but Lowes sells the Utilitech house brand made by Feit, so product selection/price should improve soon.

GE has a 100 watt 'Bright from the Start' 100watt CFL. Substantially cheaper than any 100w led, but it uses 25 watts, and is an A23 form factor, and 2700K.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?360865-3M-Advanced-LED

angerdan

Enlightened
Let me start with the attic first. There is a single bulb. The brighter, the better.
Outdoor number 1, the back door. I've had a 42w CFL in it for a while. I'm looking for an LED bulb to replace it.
Outdoor number 2, front of the house. I like to have the front of the house lit up pretty well for security reasons and to have a decent amount of light in the front yard. Is there something that will provide 800-1000 lumens of white light but also allow custom colors?
Bedrooms with fans that have a 3 bulb fixture. I have 10w CFLs in the right now. I'd like something that is a little brighter in the 3000k to 3500k range, dimmable and doesn't look funky since they are visible. I want something a little brighter for when I want more light but dimmable just to provide some lighting other times.

To put in in a nutshell:

NOW

Attic - E26 [unknown fixture rating]
Back door - 42W CFL [unknown socket]
House front - colored bulbs during holidays [unknown socket]
Bedrooms - 3xE26 10W CFL inside fixture Fans

SETPOINT
Attic - >1.000lm [size doesn't matter. The brighter, the better.]
Back door - 2.800lm
House front - 800-1.000lm white + RGB
Bedrooms - 800-1.000lm with 3.000K-3.5000K, dimmable

With the missing information it would be possible to help you more easily.

Best would be you take pictures of the current places during night with the lights powered on.
And of the fixtures during day with and without the lamps.
And of the lamps itself.

Last edited: