Costco membership - Talk me into it

markr6

Flashaholic
I hear Costco mentioned at CPF often regarding Eneloops. We just got one in my city, so I'm wondering what the big motivation is for others. I'm sure the $55/year is worth it, but are you drawn there for anything specific, or just to save on your everyday supplies and groceries?

I really need to stop in there someday to check prices.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
You just have to take a moment to do the math; anything you buy in bulk is a better deal than how you buy it at the grocery store, and buying larger sizes of what you use most often means less trips to the store anyway. I mentioned it over on the Minimalist Living thread, that if you actually are living minimalist, it seems almost contrary that you end up with giant containers of food you barely have room for, but that's what the numbers conclude..

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
Top reason for me is their gasoline. There's probably five Costco's just within my normal driving-area, so it's convenient. Here in WA, they typically have the lowest prices, along with Sam's Club.

Also, from my experience, all their "Kirkland" house-branded merchandise are better quality than what you'd find elsewhere. They source the best product (that they still can price low), then make a deal with the OEM to rebrand it.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try and get a day pass and see what you think.In the UK they were selling a pack of 5 Snap On penlights for near enough nothing a year or so ago and they were a really nice light,many mechanics who bought them are not even half way through a pack yet.

ven

Flashaholic
The birthday cakes are worth it alone:D

Seriously its free to go round,check it out,see what/if your interested in is there,the chances are you will save the amount of membership on your 1st visit;)

Some good stuff,as mr mcnair said there are some good lights,tools,electrical bits oh and food too.Also sell tyres,usually 1/2 decent brands so money is to be saved.It can soon become a regular shop...............go as free,check it out(cant buy anything without being a member but can still go round) simple as that,you decide if its worth it,worse case you wasted 1hr of your time:D

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Large hot dog and soda for $1.50. What else do you need to know?

Speaking of that, $10 giant pizza - nothing like buying a month's worth of groceries and then on your way out picking up a hot, fresh pizza that barely fits through your car door and will last two or three days.

Also sell tyres,usually 1/2 decent brands

I do in fact have Costco tires, though being someone who frequently uses the metaphor "where the rubber meets the road," you have to back that up when you're actually buying the rubber that meets the road - so I went against the cheap-as-possible model and got the top shelf luxury sports sedan Michelin Primacy grand tourers; the upshot is Costco does all maintenance on the tires for free, including nitrogen refills.

markr6

Flashaholic
Speaking of that, $10 giant pizza - nothing like buying a month's worth of groceries and then on your way out picking up a hot, fresh pizza that barely fits through your car door and will last two or three days.

LOL! I plan on that, but seem to eat those in stages throughout one day though.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
They have a fairly generous return policy. This makes it risk free to buy a new TV, Computer or other big ticket electronics. Fry's and Best Buy will not give you your money back after a very short time on the order of a few weeks. You might be able to get store credit if defective. Costco gives you a few months and np reason required.

As StarHalo said, they have name brand tires. I've bought them several times over the last 20 years and saved several hundreds of dollars.

We typically buy some of the same things each time. TP, paper towels, batteries seem to always be on the list.

Don't forget the free fitness plan.

From rec.humor.funny, with permission of the author.

We've got the Atkins diet, the South Beach diet and the Jenny Craig diet. I'd like to introduce an even cheaper and more effective diet, the COSTCO diet! It's cost effective and easy to do even on your busiest shopping day. Here's how it works.

Start by making a grocery list of 10 or more items and then head to your local COSTCO or similar warehouse store. When you get there, carefully tear your list into strips and put all the strips in your pocket. Grab a shopping cart and you're ready to go!

Pull out the first strip and make your way all the way across the store to that item. As you trek through the store, you will see vendors giving out free food samples. As you pass the third one, take a sample of what ever they are selling. Repeat with each strip of paper until you have finished your shopping. By the time you are finished, you will have eaten 5 to 10 samples and will have walked at least 5 miles.

There are several important points to remember;

1) There is a law of nature that says, "Whatever you look for in COSTCO will be on the opposite side of the warehouse." This ensures that you will walk far enough to satisfy the American Heart Association's exercise requirement.

2) Do not skip the melba-toast with cream cheese sample in order to get the Ben and Jerry's ice cream sample. It's the randomness of the food selection that guarantees a balanced diet.

3) Do not double dip. Getting two samples from the same vendor at the same time is NOT acceptable. We know you won't get two samples of fried squid to make up for it, so don't kid yourself when you grab that second cup of ice cream.

If you don't have paper to write your shopping list on, you can get a similarly random list by calling your spouse. "Hi! I'm at Costco, want anything?" will almost always result in half a dozen things that you just have to buy. Don't forget to pick up a 10 pack of writing tablets on aisle 10.

Daniel

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a big family or buy in bulk, a Costco membership is for you. Love their NQA return policy. The deli serving pizza and hot dogs is awesome. My only complaint is the selection of office supplies have shrunk over the years. I used to be able to pick up Pentel lead in bulk but they don't sell them anymore. I'm a flashaholic and a mechanical pencilholic on the side.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have shopped Costco once a week for years. We only purchase our gas there, and we have purchased 2 vehicles through their auto buying program. We also have the Executive account with the Amex card tied to it so we get a cash back bonus from both Costco and Amex......no brainer for us.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
there is talk of a costco being built here but way out near the south of town about 10 miles from here.... phooey

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I hear Costco mentioned at CPF often regarding Eneloops. We just got one in my city, so I'm wondering what the big motivation is for others. I'm sure the $55/year is worth it, but are you drawn there for anything specific, or just to save on your everyday supplies and groceries?

I really need to stop in there someday to check prices.

Honestly, it's not worth it. It's really not. You can get Duraloops (rebranded Eneloops with a Duracell label) from places like Rite-Aid. Just check that they're white tops and 2200 mAh.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Honestly, it's not worth it. It's really not. You can get Duraloops (rebranded Eneloops with a Duracell label) from places like Rite-Aid. Just check that they're white tops and 2200 mAh.
If you are going to get a Costco membership solely for the opportunity to get Eneloops, then I would agree with Monocrom, for the simple reason that every Costco location is stocked with different sets of stuff, and therefore "your" Costco location might not carry the one item you want to buy.

However, since there are so many other items that you can buy at Costco that provide good value, I would encourage you to wander through "your" location when it opens and compare prices and selection on items you normally buy, as well as on items that you have never seen before, but would like to buy. Then, figure out whether it makes sense for you or not. For lots of folks, it does seem to make sense, but for others, it does not; either they feel that Sam's or some other membership-only club is a better use of their money, or they opt not to belong to any such club.

YMMV, my friend.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you are going to get a Costco membership solely for the opportunity to get Eneloops, then I would agree with Monocrom, for the simple reason that every Costco location is stocked with different sets of stuff, and therefore "your" Costco location might not carry the one item you want to buy.

However, since there are so many other items that you can buy at Costco that provide good value, I would encourage you to wander through "your" location when it opens and compare prices and selection on items you normally buy, as well as on items that you have never seen before, but would like to buy. Then, figure out whether it makes sense for you or not. For lots of folks, it does seem to make sense, but for others, it does not; either they feel that Sam's or some other membership-only club is a better use of their money, or they opt not to belong to any such club.

YMMV, my friend.

Unfortunately, security won't even let you inside without first showing your membership card. You don't get to look around and decide if getting a membership would be worth it to you.