• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Sun Drop XR-U Problem

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
I have a SunDrop XR-U that is acting strangely. When I turned it on this evening, it cycled through all 3 levels and then stopped on low. I thought that it might be an indication of a low battery, so I put in a fresh CR123. Whe I turned it on it came on low and gradually built up to high. It is not repeatable at this time. This is the first time I have had to change he battery, so I do not know if this is a normal occurrence or if there is a problem with the light.Any insight is appreciated.

nbp

Flashaholic
Did you cycle quickly through all the modes several times, as in change the modes a dozen times or so in rapid succession, by any chance?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the light came on low and ramped up to high, did it change modes as expected? Multiple mode changes, as mentioned by nbp, triggers a calibration routine.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
What you describe is definitely calibration mode which is entered by a series of fast off-on cycles strung together. If you did not input this series then I don't know what is going on unless the battery when it got depleted somehow cycled through such a series on its own. I just got an e-mail from another user who has described possibly the same behavior and related to a depleted battery. His e-mail came today and I read your report today as well. At this point I don't know what is going on as this is all brand new to me. I have been using the same version of 3S converter now for quite some time so my guess is that there may be a new battery that has entered the realm but it's a guess with little substance and no support at this point.

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
It has not repeated the symptom at all today, I will write it off as the ghost in the machine... thanks to everyone for all of your input.