NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) REVISED Prototype Review: RUNTIMES+

Default Re: Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) REVISED Prototype Review: RUNTIMES+

These are now for sale! Thanks for another great review, really looking forward to this one.
    the harder I work, the luckier I get.

Default Re: Niwalker MiniMax Nova MM15 (2xMT-G2, 4x18650) REVISED Prototype Review: RUNTIMES+

Quote Originally Posted by KarstGhost View Post
    These are now for sale! Thanks for another great review, really looking forward to this one.
    FYI, Niwalker will be sending me a final shipping sample to review. No exact ETA yet, but I will compare it when it arrives.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Unenlightened

Hi selfbuilt,

I need a new flounder light and this one looks really good with 5h runtime on 2k lumens.

Thinking about getting two TK35UE or one MM15. I need as floody as possible 5-20m in front of me. I'm looked also at TK76 with 120degree beam but it's too big and expensive.

You reviewed both light, can you please tell me which will produce more flood and wider beam angle: two TK35UE or one MM15 ? I was thinking of putting TK35UE in 30-40 angle to each other to get wider beam.

Also Niwalker specs said they tested runtime with 2200 battery, which means 3400 batteries will give 40-50% more runtime ?
    Just wondering if specs are right, as Fenix runtimes (with 2600 batteries tested) are much lower.

TK35UE 2x18650 - 750lum - 4h
    MM15 4x18650 - 1950lum - 5h ( or almost 6h 20min with 2600 batteries )

How about MM15 mode button ? Is it push button ? Do you think that sand or tiny debris from ocean salt water could get inside button and break seal. It happened to TK21 within year or two and water get past mode button and saw droplets on inside lens.

Thank you and sorry for so much questions.

Quote Originally Posted by artis View Post
    You reviewed both light, can you please tell me which will produce more flood and wider beam angle: two TK35UE or one MM15 ? I was thinking of putting TK35UE in 30-40 angle to each other to get wider beam.
    The MM15 has a much wider spillbeam than the TK35UE. Not sure how well two side-by-side would work - you will get two more defined hotspots due to the deeper reflectors on the TK35UE.

Also Niwalker specs said they tested runtime with 2200 battery, which means 3400 batteries will give 40-50% more runtime ? Just wondering if specs are right, as Fenix runtimes (with 2600 batteries tested) are much lower.
    Larger capacity will give more runtime, but it is not exactly linear. Also, the Fenix lights are fully regulated, while the MM15 drops off in a direct-drive pattern.

How about MM15 mode button ? Is it push button ? Do you think that sand or tiny debris from ocean salt water could get inside button and break seal. It happened to TK21 within year or two and water get past mode button and saw droplets on inside lens.
    I don't know how well it would last - but sea air/salt water is highly corrosive. You are likely to have issues with anything that isn't designed and rated for that purpose.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's MID-RANGE MYSTERY BOX Sale

Excellent review, once again! Now that they are shipping with discounts, I'm thinking of getting one. It's great as is, but hoping can be easy to resistor mod.

Excelent review and great flashlight.
    The efficiency of Niwalker MiniMax MM15 Nova 2xMT-G2 PO is extraordinary.
    I waited a flashlight, with a level of about 2000 lumens with more than 5 hours of runtime.

Council kindly to Niwalker to release a diffusion filter for very short distances.
    Otherwise, i will be forced to use the Nitecore diffuser filter NFD60 in the MiniMax MM15 Nova
    In addition, a version (also limited edition) 2xMT-G2 4000K would be great for the fans who prefer a tint more on the warm white.
    Last edited by Alex1982; 04-24-2014 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks for the review SB.

Just got the light today and I'm very impressed with light. Mode spacing is really good and the turbo is just .
    Momentary turbo is also welcome to UI. .
    Pick the pooch!

Strongly believe that SB review on the light prototype has provided valuable feedback, which Niwalker listened and improved for final release.
    Company that listens to users for refinement and developments, will definitely get my support
    Ordered my MM15 thru Vinh, hope SB like those versions as well
    Lights were once incandescent. And halogen bulb were great

I found a video review at night regarding Niwalker Nova MM15 here, if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08cL...68joYdwsPHA-Cw

Please note that the review is in German language, however the performance is impressive although if you don´t speak and understand German.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostReaction View Post
    Strongly believe that SB review on the light prototype has provided valuable feedback, which Niwalker listened and improved for final release.
    Yes, Niwalker does seem to be very open on feedback, which is good to see.

FYI, I have received my final shipping sample. However, I am away for most of the next two weeks, so there will be a delay in my getting to it. But I will prioritize it for review, so should have it ready within a week of my return.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    However, I am away for most of the next two weeks, so there will be a delay in my getting to it.
    Oh, man. The suspense for this review.

Just received my MM15vn (with domes on) and love it! Can't wait for dark!! I'm also really, really looking forward to SB's test of the base light and hopefully both of Vinh's versions. That should give a great idea of the base light's capability, and what hotrodding it with and without domes adds to the mix. SB, like everyone else around here I've come to really look forward to and rely on your reviews when considering any light!

Quote Originally Posted by CUL8R View Post
    ! I'm also really, really looking forward to SB's test of the base light and hopefully both of Vinh's versions. That should give a great idea of the base light's capability, and what hotrodding it with and without domes adds to the mix. SB, like everyone else around here I've come to really look forward to and rely on your reviews when considering any light!
    +1

Yes, Niwalker does seem to be very open on feedback, which is good to see.

FYI, I have received my final shipping sample. However, I am away for most of the next two weeks, so there will be a delay in my getting to it. But I will prioritize it for review, so should have it ready within a week of my return.
    Awesome! I too am greatly looking forward to the Selfbuilt view of the MM15vn!!!

Hi all

I have received the stock MM15, and the dome on/dedome samples from Vinh are en route.

But please note that I am away for the next week, so there will be a slight delay in processing everything. They will be prioritized for review upon my return.

Anyone else get theirs yet? I can't seem to screw the handle into the light. It would appear the screws are too large. I also tried without the handle and couldn't get them screwed in. Just looking for a second opinion. Thanks.

Flashaholic

Mine is on the way so I don't yet know the thread pitch & diameter. Suggest taking your light and handle to a "mom & pop" hardware store (Ace) and ask for help to find the correct stainless allen head screws.

Hi all

I have received the stock MM15, and the dome on/dedome samples from Vinh are en route.

But please note that I am away for the next week, so there will be a slight delay in processing everything. They will be prioritized for review upon my return.
    Boy this next week will drag,like waiting for a vinh light yesterday is too long

Safe trip look forward with great anticipation

Quote Originally Posted by 240 View Post
    Anyone else get theirs yet? I can't seem to screw the handle into the light. It would appear the screws are too large. I also tried without the handle and couldn't get them screwed in. Just looking for a second opinion. Thanks.
    The screws worked fine on my review sample. Testing is still in progress, hope to have the review up by early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    Boy this next week will drag,like waiting for a vinh light yesterday is too long
    Safe trip look forward with great anticipation
    Just got back, but the Vinh modded lights haven't arrived yet. Packages from the US can take a bit of time at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by RedForest UK View Post
    What gets me is the 'higher' mode, if I'm reading the graph correctly it shows 2000 dropping slowly to 1500 for 5 hours on 4x 2200mah 18650s. That's equivalent to 1700+ lumens average for 1hr 15 minutes on a single 2200mah 18650, which would suggest 1700+ for nearly 2 hours on a 3400mah NCR18650b.

That's more than double the typical performance of a single 18650 XM-L/XM-L2 light.
    I am also confused with average 1700 lumens for 5 hours and 21 minutes on 4x 2200mah 18650s.
    Each MT-G2 must output 850 lumens to achieve total 1700 lumens. 850 lumens correspond to 1.1A forward current and around 5.7V forward voltage by referring to the datasheet of MT-G2.
    The total power consumption of two MT-G2 LEDs with overall 1700 lumens will be 2 x 1.1A x 5.7V or 12.54W.
    The overall capacity of 4x 2200mah 18650s is 4 x 2.2 Ah x 3.7V or 32.56 Wh.
    Assume the efficiency of the step-down circuit is 100%. With 32.56 Wh of overall battery capacity, the maximum run time of 1700 lumens can only be 32.56 Wh / 12.54W or 2.6 hours.

Not tested but iirc it drops down,does not stay regulated at 1700lm,yes it is impossible to sustain 1700lm on 4x 2200 mah cells for 5hrs 21 mins..........

It's not regulated, starting with 2000 lumens and slowly dropping. Average is around 1600~1700 lumens for the first five hours by referring to the runtime curve.

Not sure then,i would have thought a huge ask but.............i have not run tests,and if selfbuilt has and those are his results then those are the results.

Pretty amazing then if correct

I have received mine and with cells with a resting voltage of between 3.8 and 4v (not mixed together of course) I measure these estimated output levels and current draws:

10L - 0.01A
    145L - 0.10A
    410L - 0.25A
    735L - 0.45A
    1730L - 1.05/1.18A
    5120L/4960L - 3.75/4.05A

Any '/' indicate variance over a number of measurements, other values were relatively consistent. Please also bear in mind that my measurements are quite conservative compared to a few manufacturers' specifications.

These results seem more in line with what I'd expect, although still very impressive. But of course I can't justify questioning selfbuilt's results based on only current draws as he has provided full runtime graphs.

On another note, the fit and finish of the light are exceptional, with a fantastic black matte anodizing (reminiscent of Armytek). The beam quality is great and the tint is again fantastic. The breadth of the beam combined with the tint mean that turning on the 5000L mode looks like turning on summer daylight everywhere in front of you out to 50-75 yards.

Congrats red forest thanks for the results,mine will differ slightly no doubt but very interesting all the same.

Really love this mini beast

Next to the tm15 for size comp of head

Huge angle of flood

UI takes a little getting used to but happy with it overall,3 clicks for lock out/on takes a little getting used to (couple of attempts and a couple of being strobed)

But it works!! i do love the green N too,imho its a must buy............especially the vn version WOW

IMR KeepPower 30A 2100mah fed

eyes of the beast

Feed me!!

Well I got mine, impressive light, nice tint, smaller than I expected even after seeing the pictures. Only problem is the only way to access turbo is to hold down the switch from standby. New batteries, Eagtac 3100 at 4.1vdc. Tried it with light cool etc but stays in high or level 5. It thinks it's in turbo because another double click puts me in strobe modes. Tested it with meter etc. Ordered a replacement to be tested before shipping at my expense so I don't have to wait forever. Disappointing
    It's ironic I was torn between the SR Mini and the MM15 and I get the MM15 but the UI works like the SR MINI.
    Last edited by pageyjim; 05-09-2014 at 02:31 PM.
    TM-11,M3C4(1+3xml),T20C2MK2, T10C,M6,TN30-31,VoB 1C Mag,47's S12, M30,M21, Signature LX ,Trust 1,Klarus XT 10,Spark SL6-SD6,SWMT60+40CS,C20C, M11R,XTAR A01,ZL SC600,H51F,SC50, L1A,ITP SA1,A1EOS, A2EOS,Fenix MC10, Led Lenser P7-T7,Xeno E03,Jetbeam JetIIIPro,lllM, BC40

My Niwalker Nova MiniMax MM15 arrived yesterday. It's early days but I thought I'd post some comments and photos for anyone who has this light on their shortlist.

It's extremely well made - the machining, anodizing, fit and finish are top drawer. It is a quality light all the way through, with some well thought out details and design decisions. Niwalker are obviously a very experienced manufacturing and engineering company. It exceeded my expectations and was worth the money.

The size is just right. From the photos it looks an odd shape; too wide, but in use it fits perfectly in the hand and the machining detail around the bottom acts like a hand cut out - even though it is not.

The handle - although I will likely never use it, it had to be included. This light gets hot. Fast. Within a minute on turbo it is red hot at the head. Finally a light with 'caution hot' etched on the head that actually deserves the moniker! For longer periods on high it would make holding it comfortable if that's your intended usage.

The circuit / driver / light engine is nicely done. Nice spacing of modes with no PWM or noise that I can detect. From Selfbuilt review and comments above it appears to be very efficient.

My first Cree Mt-G2 light and very nice it is to! Beautifull smooth diffused beam, no artifacts and amazingly wide spill beam (due to the shallow reflectors). It is almost mule wide. Beam colour / tint is perfect for outdoors and really bring out the greens and browns compared to cool white. No colour shift from hot spot to spill either - amazing LED.

It's seriously bright. It's light up the whole back garden bright. It an evolutionary step up in brightness for a light this size. It even throws further than I thought it would. It put a smile on my face when I turned it on turbo - what better feeling is there than that CPFer's?

There is only one thing that can be improved for me and that's the UI getting back from turbo. Say I'm on level 3 and want to get to turbo, I double click to enter turbo but if I want to go back to level 3 I have to turn the light off and then on again, whereby it goes back to level 3 due to the mode memory. I would have liked an option to be able to get back to previous level without turning off and being without light. Another mode I would have liked is after accessing momentary turbo from off to be able to lock it on turbo if I wanted. Presently you click and hold to get instant turbo but you have to hold the button down - if you take pressure off it turns off.

These are very small details and more to do with my personal preference. I'm thrilled with the MM15 and excited about what Niwalker does next.

Last edited by Bass; 05-10-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Awesome pics bass,superb its a fantastic light for sure

So is yours standard then,not modded? and it gets hot still within a minute..........if so thats very interesting as mine is around 6500lm being a vn and seems similar temp wise but vinh has
    Stage 1: Carrier tweaks + LED direct bonded to Copper, Current boost to 6.5A, New thermal compound, Driver Touch Up, Driver thermal pad cooling, thicker wiring

Congtats bass

In the hand size

Great photos Bass
    Mostly reading.

Thanks guys!

Ven - congrats also on your Vinh! Mine is the standard model, not modded. It get's very hot after 1 minute on turbo (which is pretty much all it's been on since I got it - I don't see the point of holding a light of this weight and using 4 x 18650's to use any other level LOL!)

It gets almost too hot to hold when it's been going beyond that. I see this as a good thing - to a point. The heat is being dissipated away from the LED's and the body is absorbing it. However, it's obviously being driven too hard for a light this size so god knows what your Vinh mod is like! I assume the reason the turbo UI is the way it is ( which I think could be better as noted above) is intentional. Turbo is only for short bursts. Having said all that I have not been able to hold mine long enough, because it gets too hot, to actually see the auto step down from turbo in action.

Anyone else getting the same?
    Last edited by Bass; 05-10-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast