How addictive is it?

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I have just bought a SRT7, and already have a little LedLenser, well, a couple including the one on my key-chain.

I have just told my wife that I think good torches could be addictive and give me something else to collect, along with watches, pens, DVDs, Festool tools, photographic equipment, chickens, medical ailments! :D

She joked that she guessed I must have found an online forum and joined, to which I responded that actually, yes, I had! That wiped the smile from her face! :D

So, how addictive can it get? How many lights do people generally end up with? Am I going to need another outbuilding to store them all?! :eek:

dbleznak

Enlightened
OMG- being a Flashaholic is so fun. Not only is it educational (electronic Jargon and all) but it's also a great way to meet people from around the world. When I joined a couple of years ago, I had no idea that I would start trading lights w/ my friend Jalal, or buying custom parts (to your exact spec) from my man Shrike in S Korea. Search for the TAIN tribute thread, or the Jeff Hanko tribute thread. Have you gotten your first Ti light yet? I suggest a Mcgizmo Haiku. I hope you have fun

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
I had no intrest in ligths at all really, but then found this fourm, bought just the one good one cos I needed it, I now have erm....too many. At least 15-20, around the house but some of them are not real torches (AKA Cheapie ones) I also have a few LedLensers before I found out about the awesome lights you can get.

I am now an "adddict" You will go through stages, at first its all about power / through / lumen count but the longer you are here you tend to stop worrying about overall output and pay more attention to quality, tint, CRI, beamshape, features and a load of other stuff, then if you have the money theres the custom lights section with all its sparkly titainum....so it can get very addictive.

As far as another out building, with the amount some poeople have on here, its likly....there is one guy I have seen on here with photos of his maglights....he has dozens of them, maby even over a hundred and thats just the mag lights....

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
I'm certainly at the Jeremy Clarkson - Powerrrrrrrrrrr - stage. :D

That said, I also appreciate quality, and realise that sometimes it's not always about the power, but what you do with it.

I think collecting most things tends to go through stages, certainly watches and pens tends to.

Hmm....titanium you say?! Does that come with extra bling?! :D

archimedes

Flashaholic
....You will go through stages, at first its all about power / through / lumen count but the longer you are here you tend to stop worrying about overall output and pay more attention to quality, tint, CRI, beamshape, features and a load of other stuff, then if you have the money theres the custom lights section with all its sparkly titainum....so it can get very addictive....

I'm certainly at the Jeremy Clarkson - Powerrrrrrrrrrr - stage. :D ....

Here's a chart of mine that should help clarify things a bit .... ;)

VAybawQ.jpeg

.... And a link, to answer your original question .... :)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/87150

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Its great,in my humble opion i have struck gold(need some gold to sell for my addiction)with CPF.Its an all in 1 kind of place,great helpful and extremely knowledgable people who go out of their way to help/advise and make me jealous of their awesome collections:D
Flash light collecting is fun,lots of options and agree so much with archimedes as new peeps are all power power power and its not till you read/research/digest its so so much more than 3000lm out of the business end.Reflectors be it orange peel for smooth flood,smooth reflectors for throw,tints,be it warm or cold and of course battery food.I get just a smuch use if not more out of the "lower lm" lights as more general use.

So many to choose and worth reading up on safety side,chargers and decent cells.Then comes brands from fenix to nitecore to surefire to...........you get the picture.

Now the bad part,1 light is just useless,you need several,different occasions from lighting up large expanses of land to edc for general purpose usage.

Then you will prefer a brand,then want to collect some of their products.........never ends.

My advice is research,check reviews,once happy look for best deals from reputable sellers.

Decent edc is a must,then a truck light,then a house light,usually more than 1,then a bedroom light,on and on............

I am hook line and sinker,especially now i am dipping in the world of vinh,not only is he a top chap and very helpful but does some great mods to get the best and some out of production lights(someone will snap him up if that have any sense like fenix or surefire).

I digress,read up,enjoy and light up your world,best but too is they are about the single most useful tool one can have...............in short they save lives

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is one of the daftest hobbies I have been involved with, my deepest regret is getting involved and spending hundreds of pounds on a tube with a bulb at the other end. I laugh myself silly when I read of the edc men who go out with at least three back up lights on there person, they really are pathetic and very sad.

I have my hobby under control now and can go a few months without buying a new light,the snag is you can buy decent quality lights now in supermarkets and other retail outlets at approx 20% cost of some brands.

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...something else to collect, along with watches, pens, DVDs, Festool tools, photographic equipment, chickens, medical ailments!"
The OP collects "chickens"?!? Now I've heard it all! :crackup:

Chickens are best by the bucket, IMO. ;)

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
All I want to say is...do you want to be the richest guy in the grave yard? Pessimistic comment, but true. If you can afford it, and it doesn't hurt no body, and it makes you happy...why not? Life can be too short..I have no idea why I can not help my self buying flashlights...and I do not care anymore...I enjoy it, so as long as I can, I will keep buying. :D

My%2520Best%2520Lights.jpg

Just a few of my favs...but I want more :devil:

dbleznak

Enlightened
(I'm snowed in here in Philly, so excuse me if I "mix it up" a bit) There are so may great "show your photos" threads. Let's not get into a "pissing contest" about who has better pics of their collections. If the OP requests pics, that's a different story. Have you seen some of the tribute threads? It's a good place to start. No offense Crazy Ivan, but if you want to "whip it out" and see who's is bigger, well, your going to need more than just a few Ti pieces and production lights. As a Russian submarine tactic, you crushed it in The Hunt for Red October, but take your pic to a photo thread and let's help this nice young man buy his first "real" light, Flashaholic style. I hope everyone is safe and sound.

Dan

Last edited:

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I was not trying to get into a contest? I have seen many 'collection' threads and would never be trying to insinuate a have a large or impressive collection by any stretch of the imagination...simply replying to the OP question, as he was not asking about buying a new light or advice for one, but about how addictive it can get. As I only have a small growing collection, I thought a quick pic would show my point for him?

I guess not...but thanks for the put down, much appreciated.

(and I do work on a sub, just not a Russian one)

dbleznak

Enlightened
Im so sorry Crazy Ivan😩. My SUV broke down yesterday and we got 14 inches of snow last night and 6 more coming tonight. It's official, this is the worst winter ever recorded in Philadelphia history. Of course, the only rental available was a sub-compact, with no-wheel drive. Please excuse my snarky comments, I apologize, and your collection is a pleasure to see. I was trying to be "tongue-and-cheek" but it came off as mean. Thanks for your mature response. Can we "kiss" and make up? I hope you can forgive me. Thanks, be well.

Dan

Last edited:

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
:grouphug: No worries sir. Your situation does not sound very pleasant, and plenty stressful...hope all are safe though! And I know how it is, I have been repairing wind damage from last night (100mph winds recorded here last night apparently), and more rain is going to be added to the flooding already around in the next few days (im in the UK).

But its the little things like collections and hobbies (and coming on CPF) that keep a smile going. And with that, I think I am going to order another light right now...always cheers me up :thumbsup:. So to OP, the answer is very addictive :twothumbs

dbleznak

Enlightened
That's a great attitude, I'll do the same, maybe some new IMRs as well. I heard the flooding there has been catastrophic. Did one of the Queens castles get flooded? Was it Windsor? No such thing as global warming- I think not! Wind damage is horrible, we lost power for 3 days last week along with 600,000 people in my area. This is why CPF makes me smile- I get to meet new people from around the world who share one simple passion, flashlights. It is truly a special place that we all have here. Thanks again

Dan

ChrisEdu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warning lads; it makes a change from all the severe weather warning here in the UK! I think light sales will probably go up just we can remind ourselves of what a bright thing in the sky looks like.

Can I count my studio lights as part of my collection?! :D