Such a thing as a front fog light?

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
Not talking about what we all know as fog lights, but rather a single more piercing beam that would serve the same function as a rear fog, but for opposing traffic.

Have run into a couple of seemingly increasing problems while driving to work in the thick morning Central Valley fog on 2 lane country roads. First, there are entirely TOO MANY people driving without their headlights on, and even worse some of them like to pass in this thick fog. This has resulted in a couple closer-than-I'd-like calls with oncoming traffic in my lane.

Also there are times where I have to pass slow-moving trucks in the little "clear" patches between the fog, and I'd love to be able to alert potential oncoming traffic that is beyond the clear patch.

Wouldnt something like a very narrow & flat pencil beam mounted low around the bumper, perhaps in a more glare resistant color (yellow or amber) help in these situations?

Specifically referring to morning/daytime light conditions where headlight serve only to alert other cars of your presence. Never to be used when dark.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Not talking about what we all know as fog lights, but rather a single more piercing beam that would serve the same function as a rear fog, but for opposing traffic.

No such thing, and not needed; there is no deficit in frontal conspicuity with a vehicle's low beams.

Have run into a couple of seemingly increasing problems while driving to work in the thick morning Central Valley fog on 2 lane country roads. First, there are entirely TOO MANY people driving without their headlights on

Even if a lamp such as you have in mind existed and were a good idea: People already misuse the lights they have. Giving them another device to misuse doesn't seem like a productive thing to do.

and even worse some of them like to pass in this thick fog.

I'm still not seeing a problem that can be fixed with another lighting device.

Also there are times where I have to pass slow-moving trucks in the little "clear" patches between the fog, and I'd love to be able to alert potential oncoming traffic that is beyond the clear patch.

High beams.

Wouldnt something like a very narrow & flat pencil beam mounted low around the bumper, perhaps in a more glare resistant color (yellow or amber) help in these situations?

No. Front fog lamps already produce a wide and flat beam. Narrow is a "subset of wide".

Specifically referring to morning/daytime light conditions where headlight serve only to alert other cars of your presence.

That's what they already do! No new device needed.

Never to be used when dark.

We call those "Daytime running lamps".

opposite locker

Newly Enlightened
No such thing, and not needed; there is no deficit in frontal conspicuity with a vehicle's low beams.

I'd have to disagree with you here, at least for the conditions I'm describing. Morning sun over super-thick fog...low beams are visible at maybe 100-300 feet, beyond that they are hidden.

Even if a lamp such as you have in mind existed and were a good idea: People already misuse the lights they have. Giving them another device to misuse doesn't seem like a productive thing to do.

A bit of a strong statement, no? Not looking to build & market or distribute any such type of light. More for a single oddball application. If it existed and were a good idea, I'd buy one. Just wasn't sure if either was the case.

I'm still not seeing a problem that can be fixed with another lighting device.
High beams

High beams may well be the answer. Run them on until I can see any oncoming headlights/vehicles then switch to low. Never gave thought to running them in fog.

No. Front fog lamps already produce a wide and flat beam. Narrow is a "subset of wide".

Could've used a better description. Meant a fairly thin pencil beam with higher intensity and no real vertical or horizontal spread, almost like a stationary lighthouse. And with the washout of white or blue light in daytime fog, was thinking a more contrasting color would be more visible.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
High beams
High beams may well be the answer. Run them on until I can see any oncoming headlights/vehicles then switch to low. Never gave thought to running them in fog.

Yup. There's good reason to use high beams in conditions of limited sight distance -- curvy forest roads, moderate fog, low sun angles, and such. All you have to do is (1) dim down to low beam within reasonable/legal distance of other cars ahead, just like at night, and (2) pay careful attention to make sure your high beams aren't worsening your own seeing via backscatter in fog.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast

High beams.

At night, I use the high beams to "test" fog for backscatter, usually switching right back. In the daytime, I just turn my low beams on in the fog. When I'm driving west at sunrise, or east at sunset-- again, I turn the low beams on, so that approaching drivers may more readily discern me.

When driving in fog, day or night, I'd rather just stay back behind (far behind) the truck that I'd be tempted to pass in clear weather. Some of those brief patches of "clear" are a bit too brief. Neither the '01 Corolla or my famous mid-engine, supercharged sports car (the Previa) have that much power to spare!

Also, you will run into (or actually, narrowly miss running into) the person straddling the center line because it's easy to see and "gives them more room" to avoid hazards from the shoulder. Seems they never stop to think that there's another person doing the exact same thing, and is heading in their direction!