Home made lights

R.W.D.

Enlightened
Anyone here have any projects that stand out?

I'm not talking high quality I just want this thre to be about any home made light any of you have made worth mentioning/sharing and post pics if you have them.

Im just an experiment person and I love making things. Ill share lights I've made that may interest someone or not :) I just like out of the ordinary one of a kind things.

Incan LED HID anything is welcome as long as you made it. It doesn't have to be fancy just has to function.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a section entirely dedicated to homemade and modified flashlights.

Here is a light that I had made some time ago using a bit of aluminum from a piece of bicycle seatpost I had laying around and some spare parts. Since that post I've made an adapter to allow me to use CR123a batteries in that light as well.

R.W.D.

Enlightened
That's a nice piece you made great job on it. I'm having trouble navigating to find a home made light section could you possibly help me out with that? If not its cool.

R.W.D.

Enlightened
I just wanted to see what people have and show things I make.

I made this last night with an XML T6 that I de domed for other reasons it's on a small 3.7v 460 ma li ion rechargeable that I had laying around some aluminum scrap and a small button I use for push to talk on mics

ubaradym.jpg

uhu3e7ah.jpg

ahajujav.jpg

the micro plug I charge it with I made from an IC plug I cut down

dytara4e.jpg

parute5a.jpg

The charger is an old cheap li ion charger I found in a closet that I modified slightly to re purpose it.

madupuvu.jpg

udaju5ub.jpg

5yguqyra.jpg

R.W.D.

Enlightened
If anyone cared enough to see "beam" shots I just took some

yhymu4y7.jpg

a9upyqyp.jpg

use5apes.jpg

u6uzypu5.jpg

I just made it cause I could the light had no purpose but it rides in my chest pocket on my jacket.

Obviously it's not made to stay on but it works for walking around at night in my area so cars can see me or if I drop something and don't need a 1000 lumen SF Fury to find it I can use my little mighty pocket light. :)

it's not amazing but maybe someone else will find it neat like I do.

R.W.D.

Enlightened
It is definitely a mule and it puts out decent light for its size.
Right now it's just a nameless little beast.

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Got the idea for these two small lights after I ran across a couple of oddly shaped lipo batteries. Unlike the typical lipos I've seen, these two are longer and thicker rather than being flat:
IMG_2601_zpsa5b2553b.jpg

IMG_2603_zps1c09193a.jpg

I had some left over copper tubing from a water line replacement and found that the battery would fit in perfectly. Made one in all copper and one with a copper body and brass caps. Next to a Quarck CR2 mini for comparison:
IMG_2756_zps73478df4.jpg

Made the all copper light with an older XR-E and the copper and brass light with a newer XP-G2. The XP-G2 is a bit taller to accommodate the longer reflector it needed:
IMG_2741_zps9a60ce04.jpg

I don't have a shot of the circuit but I am using the controller from a X-light Micro, driving a P channel mosfet. The XR-E is running at 380mah on a fully charged battery, the XP-G2 is running around 900mah. The batteries are rated at 220mah but 4x discharge isn't that much of a stretch for a lipo. This is what the inside looks like on each light. The blue LED is a beacon that lights up the switch cap to help locate the lights in the dark (the small silicone and Glow Inc X10 fob hanging off of the Quark is it's version of a beacon). The blue LED runs on approximately 5 micro amps on a fully charged battery so it would take years to run the battery down:
IMG_2603_zpse870874a.jpg

The heat sink is fairly thin but it contacts the copper tube its entire length and it seems to do a good job transferring heat to the body.The lights will definitely get toasty after running for very long on high.

Uses a really tiny power jack to recharge the batteries. I've been charging it with a computer controlled hobby charger to help get the most life out of the batteries. That white ring inside is polypropylene to assist in diffusing and distributing the beacon light:
IMG_2745_zpsd95fb0a4.jpg

Since everything is soldered up inside, there are no springs to contact the battery and I have been able to get away without having to machine threads to hold the switch cap on. Basically I crimped the brass switch cap very slightly in a vice to provide 4 hold down points. There is an inner seal that fits over the switch and inside the copper tube and an outer seal that acts as the switch cap that goes between the end cap and the inner tube. The split ring just provides extra metal to hold the outer cap in place. Not sure how water resistant it actually is but I have tested it down to about a foot of water and one cycle through the washer (that test was purely an accident) and it did not leak:
IMG_2746_zps322eee28.jpg

IMG_2749_zps8029ca8a.jpg
The high beam shot is from about 15 feet away. Couldn't get the camera to focus very well but you get the idea; tight center spot with lots of spill. The XR-E looks pretty similar although much dimmer. It's difficult to do the X-Light Micro controller justice with pictures instead of video but this is a high and low beam shot. The low was too low for the camera to get a picture of the beam at all, so just a shot of the business end:
IMG_2750_zps789c3aa7.jpg

Last edited:

sunny_nites

Enlightened
Thanks!

In theory, the XP-G2 should be able to run at full brightness for around 15 minutes, while the XR-E should clock in around 45 minutes. In reality though, since the circuit is not a booster but a limiter, the max brightness would gradually dim as the battery discharged and they would appear to run for longer than that. But, and this is the real limiter, they would get really, really hot.

I carry and use the XP-G2 every day but most of the time I run it on the lowest or close to the lowest setting, with occasional runs on max. Not sure how much juice it is drawing on low, my meter won't measure it so somewhere south of 0.10mahs. I usually charge it up every two or three weeks just to keep it topped off but so far I've never seen the charge on the battery go below 3.8V.

Took a couple more pics.

Charging using a tiny, tiny jack and cable:
P1110073_zpsa000b410.jpg

The switch cap in low light and very low light:
IMG_2760_zpsaac3d9e2.jpg

IMG_2769_zpse3f2b455.jpg

jason 77

Enlightened
Here are two I made a while ago.

Modified mag mini...
img0880q.jpg
img0879ih.jpg
img0892zq.jpg
img0894g.jpg

img0898t.jpg
img0897n.jpg

And this one using bits and pieces I had laying around, runs AA batteries down to about .5 volts or so using the jewel thief circuit.

u8eg.jpg
x0hr.jpg
m3gd.jpg
z891.jpg

x8k2.jpg

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say, I am tired of useless, uninspired tubes that contain batteries and a reflector. This wornout design has so many usage limitations.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might still be the best design regarding its power source is usually round and its form factor is easy to grab and to use. There must be a reason why over 90% of all flashlights are tubes :).

@ alpg88: Nice plywood flashlights btw :). Unsual but interesting design.

rayman

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might still be the best design regarding its power source is usually round and its form factor is easy to grab and to use. There must be a reason why over 90% of all flashlights are tubes :).

@ alpg88: Nice plywood flashlights btw :). Unsual but interesting design.

rayman

Two cell lights should have battery area that is more rectangular, and three cell lights should be triangular. Then, where have we went with polymer batteries?

It is that circular reflector that limits. But even then, the ideal is a ovalar hotspot and corona--not circular. My bulk peripheral vision is 30 inches by 50 inches wide as I hold out my arms (ignoring seldom uses extreme peripheral) and hand in front of my eyes. I doubt if melting that smo or running over the aluminum reflector experiment would work. Then there is precise aiming (maybe need an adjustable aiming mechanism) or focusing a dual head to better get a 3:5 ratio.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to see what people have and show things I make.

I made this last night with an XML T6 that I de domed for other reasons it's on a small 3.7v 460 ma li ion rechargeable that I had laying around some aluminum scrap and a small button I use for push to talk on mics

ubaradym.jpg

This looks like an ice scraper. Yep, a dedomed xml is what all ice scrapers need. A car charger, of coarse.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
As I posted in another forum section...

The factory light bulb under the microwave was not bright enough. I couldn't see my food while cooking. There's one 30 watt light E17 intermediate-size screw-base bulb in the underside of the microwave. Unfortunately, there isn't a brighter alternative or commercially-made LED retrofit. So, I made my own.

Before:

0465064C-9E9D-4C26-BA44-1790D4478413-2558-0000025D38004748_zps3ebfcc3e.jpg

After:

4F7137E1-614A-4AB8-98D5-361B073A8175-2558-0000025E36F03286_zps9f04b2bc.jpg

The light: Cree XML2 single-die "warm white" LED's, JB epoxied to an aluminum heatsink, powered by a constant-current driver circuit, and adapted to the E17 socket using a customized bulb base with a plastic grip-wing epoxied into it.

CD87F766-95F4-4D5B-BEAC-AC0D0AC7001D-2558-0000025DE2A928A1_zps899bc063.jpg

F8770A8B-8B9E-4AE0-A749-7ABE0A1358A6-2558-00000260337B675D_zps654509f2.jpg

I built this single-LED unit for my sister's kitchen:

75A4A825-A0AA-40A7-ABA7-DEB10EFA94EF-2558-0000025FDF1A3579_zpsfb0112a1.jpg

These LED units are about 3X as bright as the factory light bulb, but consume 85% less electricity. WIN. :D

0ADB674F-3DE3-4096-B723-3ABEFBC09B77-2558-0000025E78378446_zpsf08b99dc.jpg