Looking for mod (and modder) suggestions

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
So I've been out of the flashlight game for a few years now, but I've been cleaning out all my flashlight crap and stumbled across these D Maglites that I had someone cut down to 1D size in the anticipation of modding them. I originally was going to sell them, but after thinking about it, I thought that it would be nice to get these modded to finish what I had started. The problem is that I have no idea what is out there these days. Back then, I would have been content to just drop a 1watt emitter in there, get a converter for 3xAA to 1D and just run it like that. But now I'd like to at least add some sort of regulation so I can use maybe 4xAA eneloops or something for a longer runtime. I wasn't a real modder back then and I definitely am not one now, so in addition to suggestions for mods, I'd love to have suggestions (or volunteers) for modders willing to undertake this. I have a few of the old Hotsinks and even a bunch of old 1 watt emitters (with bin codes that I can no longer translate), but I'm thinking there is better stuff out there these days. So if anyone is inclined, I'd love to hear whatever you guys want to suggest, although I can't guarantee that I'll understand it like I used to (if I really ever did). Thanks in advance.

Also, I guess the other question would be, if modding this would just be a waste of money with all the great lights out there these days.

This is what the 1D mags look like. (I wish I had been able to find some lime green ones to cut down as well)
p397907534.jpg

Last edited:

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rare colours so worth modding way more than a black.
4 x AA holders need bored host.
When these were made 2200mAh LIONs were probably the largest genuine capacity, now use either 3400mAh 18650 or 4200mAh 26650 LION cell, so either option more power than 4 x AA Eneloops.

You could just put a Malkoff XML dropin and run on ether 18650 or 26650.
Custom build - obvious choice would be XML LED. Easy would be common available and used 105C based linear driver for 1,2,3,4 levels.

Depending on how "off the grid " you have been, XML puts out more light than a P7 at 2.8A. Single die LED so better throw.
Can handle being overdriven a lot.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Rare colours so worth modding way more than a black.
4 x AA holders need bored host.
When these were made 2200mAh LIONs were probably the largest genuine capacity, now use either 3400mAh 18650 or 4200mAh 26650 LION cell, so either option more power than 4 x AA Eneloops.

You could just put a Malkoff XML dropin and run on ether 18650 or 26650.
Custom build - obvious choice would be XML LED. Easy would be common available and used 105C based linear driver for 1,2,3,4 levels.

Depending on how "off the grid " you have been, XML puts out more light than a P7 at 2.8A. Single die LED so better throw.
Can handle being overdriven a lot.

Thanks for the suggestions, Chodes. Most of that was greek to me, but it gave me a start for my research. I had forgotten the 4xAA required the bored barrel. Is there an adapter for the 18650 or 26650 to a 1D? I would love for this to be multi-staged, too. The Malkoff drop ins look interesting and look easy enough for even me to do, but I guess the question would be what batteries to use.

Thanks again for the reply.

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
I have both of those hosts picture, both in 1D format. I bet they came from the same source. Either way the 1D is probably my favorite sizes. MY teal mag is a 950ma XRE aspheric. When I built it it was my favorite light for sure, Now with some of my other builds it feels a bit underpowered. The copper (most recently)is a XPG2 at 2.8A with the mag led reflector. Both lights use amc7135 drivers and either 1 Li-ion or 4aa batteries(depending what I have charged).

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I have both of those hosts picture, both in 1D format. I bet they came from the same source. Either way the 1D is probably my favorite sizes. MY teal mag is a 950ma XRE aspheric. When I built it it was my favorite light for sure, Now with some of my other builds it feels a bit underpowered. The copper (most recently)is a XPG2 at 2.8A with the mag led reflector. Both lights use amc7135 drivers and either 1 Li-ion or 4aa batteries(depending what I have charged).

Thanks, Gtamazing. I've been trying to remember who did the cutting for me but am drawing a blank. I'm thinking it was about 3-4 years ago. This was actually my second attempt after someone ripped me off the first time I tried (sent him the lights but he never sent anything back). Another reason why I think I should follow through on this batch. So yours are bored out for the 4xAA?

If they feel underpowered now, do you know what you would have done differently if you had a second chance? Also, what single Li-ion are you using? Thanks for the reply.

Gtamazing

Newly Enlightened
I got mine from a guy who got them from Jesus Hernadez. The XRE I would have run a higher current but the emitter is now encased in glow epoxy and I have no access to the wires to change it. The copper xpg2 is a great light.

None of my lights were bored for the 4xAA. I found some brands of batteries fir some don't. single li-ions are either 18650 laptop pulls, panasonic 18650b or sometimes 26650 Keeppower

I have just recently put together a 1D stubby using a cree MKR and 4x 14500 li-ions. It really rips for it's small size.

yazovyet

Enlightened
I'd second chodes and kevin on the XML idea but I am currently in love with the idea of 32650 (d cell sized) lithiums and feel like one of those in a 1d would be cool.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I got mine from a guy who got them from Jesus Hernadez. The XRE I would have run a higher current but the emitter is now encased in glow epoxy and I have no access to the wires to change it. The copper xpg2 is a great light.

None of my lights were bored for the 4xAA. I found some brands of batteries fir some don't. single li-ions are either 18650 laptop pulls, panasonic 18650b or sometimes 26650 Keeppower

I have just recently put together a 1D stubby using a cree MKR and 4x 14500 li-ions. It really rips for it's small size.

Thanks, Gtamazing. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Jesus who did mine--I think it was done before his time, but I saw a thread with his work and it looks great. I'm hoping that I would even be able to get these fluted/finned if he's still doing that work. Did you make your own battery carrier for your 4xAA or was it bought?

Check out my XM-L mod guide in my sig. There are plenty of other guides available by searching the forums as well.

He is doing 1D mag only

Thanks, LilKevin and wannabe. I checked out the XM-L mod guide and it looks like a really nice build. I have done so many searches over the past week and was going crazy so I thought I would just ask for direct suggestions. So many of the sticky links are outdated and go all the way back to when I was an active member here over a decade ago (doing the math made me feel really old). Plus, as wannabe mentioned, I was looking specifically for a 1D build, which makes things a little more difficult to find. Also, I'm really also looking for someone who would be interested in doing this build for me since I'm a bumbling fool when it comes to all this. I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing than stumble my way through it and ruin these really nice host bodies. I've got a severe case of eye strain and geekspeak headache from all the forum reading I've been doing this past week, but it's really kinda rekindled my enthusiasm for flashlights. Hopefully I won't be spending the same amount I used to spend on flashlights back then.

I'd second chodes and kevin on the XML idea but I am currently in love with the idea of 32650 (d cell sized) lithiums and feel like one of those in a 1d would be cool.

Thanks, vazovyet. XML is starting to sound like a good plan. That 32650 batt sounds pretty cool, too.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
My Mag build I mentioned earlier is more of a starting point/reference if you wanted to go that route. Obviously you wouldn't be using the same battery setup as I did. You can run 3 AA nimh in a 1D adapter wired in series or a single Li-ion with the popular AMC7135 linear regulator drivers.

What kind of output, beam profile, tint, etc. are you looking to obtain?

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
My Mag build I mentioned earlier is more of a starting point/reference if you wanted to go that route. Obviously you wouldn't be using the same battery setup as I did. You can run 3 AA nimh in a 1D adapter wired in series or a single Li-ion with the popular AMC7135 linear regulator drivers.

What kind of output, beam profile, tint, etc. are you looking to obtain?
I don't have any particular use in mind for these so I'm pretty flexible. I like a medium beam profile--more throw than flood if I had to choose one or the other. I'd just really like something as high an output as I can safely get. I'd like neutral white, but would prefer cooler over warmer if I had to choose and while I would like to use a battery format that I'm familiar with (e.g. 3xAA whether NiMH, lithium, etc.) I am open to changing battery types to get the best out of the light.

In the end I'd like the brightest, medium throw, neutral white beam I can get on whatever battery system that's gonna get me the brightest output with the longest runtime (I'm thinking around 60 minutes on high). I'd like it to be regulated and multi-staged (I really only need a high and a low). In addition, I'd love to get the body and head pimped with some fluting/finning and maybe some glow epoxy or something for some added "wow" factor. I don't want to say that my budget is unlimited (because it is most definitely not), but I don't really want to limit the possibilities with a budget cap just yet, unless it really gets out of hand.

It maybe a little bit of a dream, but right now I'm just looking at how close I can hit to that ideal.

Thanks--I appreciate the input.

yazovyet

Enlightened
I did a 2D mag that I put 6 AAs in, thats 2 sets of 3 in series. I tested it with just 3 AAs in series and found the run time wasn't too great. After 5 min it was not full bright (looked bright to the eye but not the camera measurement) and after 20 min it was starting to drop off some, then after 45 min it was nearly dead. See the end of the first post for the 2 graphs.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-mag-modded-to-6AA-XM-L&highlight=yazovyet+aa
I recently checked it with one 32650 (trustfire from fast tech that i used magnets to take up the extra space) and found a run time of over 2 hours before much drop off. Maybe I will post a graph in a while.

neutral vs warmer white:
I'd go with a temperature of around 4000k or 4500k for the LED (personal preference) and if an XM-l then go for XM-L2 (as I assume they're worth getting if you're ordering an LED anyways).

Some people put additional 7135s onto the driver to give more power but there is a heat issue that one may run into. The standard 7135 gives 350mA and since theres can be up to 8 on a driver you get 2800 mA. but theres also a 380mA version and with 8 of those you can get (I think) 3080 mA.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the 2 high quality 3 x AA adapters that will fit unbored Mag D: (neither still available, but shows you what to look for in market place or CPF B/S/T)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...3AA-6AA-9AA-amp-12AA-Fivemega-battery-holders
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...g-New-designs-and-Clearance-Sales!&highlight=

They are worth around $30 which is around the cost of 2 x 26650 LION cells of around 4000mAh compared to 2000mAh Eneloops.
Unless you are really set on AAs, a 26650 makes most sense for 1D IMHO.
If considering 32650 you'll have to measure to make sure it will fit (ie, D cells are 32600, not 32650)

To use 26650 all you need is a sleeve. Find something local or get Fivemega part:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308723-Adapter-Adapter-Adapter

PVC Tube. Outside diameter 33mm, Inside diameter 27mm, Length 100mm
---------------------------
#01 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 LEDAdd1ct shipped
#02 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 Chodes paid shipped
#03 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 Chodes paid shipped
#04 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 (AVAILABLE)
#05 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 (AVAILABLE)
#06 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 (AVAILABLE)

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I did a 2D mag that I put 6 AAs in, thats 2 sets of 3 in series. I tested it with just 3 AAs in series and found the run time wasn't too great. After 5 min it was not full bright (looked bright to the eye but not the camera measurement) and after 20 min it was starting to drop off some, then after 45 min it was nearly dead. See the end of the first post for the 2 graphs.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-mag-modded-to-6AA-XM-L&highlight=yazovyet+aa
I recently checked it with one 32650 (trustfire from fast tech that i used magnets to take up the extra space) and found a run time of over 2 hours before much drop off. Maybe I will post a graph in a while.

neutral vs warmer white:
I'd go with a temperature of around 4000k or 4500k for the LED (personal preference) and if an XM-l then go for XM-L2 (as I assume they're worth getting if you're ordering an LED anyways).

Some people put additional 7135s onto the driver to give more power but there is a heat issue that one may run into. The standard 7135 gives 350mA and since theres can be up to 8 on a driver you get 2800 mA. but theres also a 380mA version and with 8 of those you can get (I think) 3080 mA.

Thanks for the link, looks like you got nice output on your mod.

These are the 2 high quality 3 x AA adapters that will fit unbored Mag D: (neither still available, but shows you what to look for in market place or CPF B/S/T)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...3AA-6AA-9AA-amp-12AA-Fivemega-battery-holders
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...g-New-designs-and-Clearance-Sales!&highlight=

They are worth around $30 which is around the cost of 2 x 26650 LION cells of around 4000mAh compared to 2000mAh Eneloops.
Unless you are really set on AAs, a 26650 makes most sense for 1D IMHO.
If considering 32650 you'll have to measure to make sure it will fit (ie, D cells are 32600, not 32650)

To use 26650 all you need is a sleeve. Find something local or get Fivemega part:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308723-Adapter-Adapter-Adapter

PVC Tube. Outside diameter 33mm, Inside diameter 27mm, Length 100mm
---------------------------
#01 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 LEDAdd1ct shipped
#02 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 Chodes paid shipped
#03 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 Chodes paid shipped
#04 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 (AVAILABLE)
#05 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 (AVAILABLE)
#06 "D" 33 ... 27 ... 100mm $7 (AVAILABLE)

Thanks, guys. Definitely sounds like I should stay away from the AAs in whatever format. I'm thinking 26650 sounds better and easier, if it just requires the PVC sleeve.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Nice. That's a serious dome on that. What kind of beam does that throw?

Is there any particular brand of 26650 battery you guys recommend? I don't mind paying extra for quality and, more importantly, safety. I was reading that exploding 18650 thread and I'd hate to run into something like that.

I was thinking that the 4sevens would be good: http://www.foursevens.com/products/UBR