First Surefire, first post!

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
Hi all! I've checked out CPF over the past few years, but never could bring myself to buy a "premium flashlight." Well, yesterday I finally did. I ordered a Surefire 6P classic from amazon. I'm excited to get it in and just wanted to say hi. I will have questions, and I already have a small plan to upgrade a few things here and there. Anyways... Hi!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're going to love it. It's where many flashaholics got their start.

:welcome:

ven

Flashaholic
Hi:thumbsup: and enjoy your flashlight,it will be the 1st of many me thinks:thinking:

:laughing:;)

MBentz

Enlightened
The 6P is the gateway drug. Don't let anyone fool you, incandescent lights are still fantastic.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah I used to be an "LEDs are superior in every way to incandescents" sort of man, but I regret that. Don't get me wrong, LEDs are great, but don't completely supplant incan lights and vice-versa.

Welcome to the club! First it starts with a 6P, then it becomes a Z2/C2 purchase, then maybe an M6. ;)

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I finally got my light in today, and first impressions are: wow. Quality. This kicks the tar out of my issued pelican m6 led and phantom lights. I love the tint, too... Always been a fan of incandescent lights. Problem is, I am used to much brighter lights. So, I did what any cpf'er would do, and ordered a high cri xm-l2 drop in from nailbender (I've read they approximate the color of incans quite nicely) and a mcclicky switch. I hope they come in by the time I go to the field again (I fly on Blackhawks for the army) so I can give it a proper field test!

no worries about giving up on incans, either... I've ordered most of the parts to build a ROP 2D maglite already as well...

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I finally got my light in today, and first impressions are: wow. Quality. This kicks the tar out of my issued pelican m6 led and phantom lights. I love the tint, too... Always been a fan of incandescent lights. Problem is, I am used to much brighter lights. So, I did what any cpf'er would do, and ordered a high cri xm-l2 drop in from nailbender (I've read they approximate the color of incans quite nicely) and a mcclicky switch. I hope they come in by the time I go to the field again (I fly on Blackhawks for the army) so I can give it a proper field test!

no worries about giving up on incans, either... I've ordered most of the parts to build a ROP 2D maglite already as well...

wow, you're off to a good start!

tlyon1022

Newly Enlightened

From one aviator to another, welcome. Im on MC-130J's for the Air Force. I started out with a 6P same as you, and I still use it to this day, although now it has a neutral XM-L @ 1000 lumens. Not a good light for flying because its so bright, but for flying I've found that an HDS Rotary exactly fit my bill, other than color. Mine is a beautiful neutral, but still its nothing compared to a nice high CRI light. I may pick up a HDS Rotary Hi-CRI once they make it into the 200 lumen range and become readily available.

You'll enjoy the 6P! And welcome again!

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
wow, you're off to a good start!

Thanks man! Lol

From one aviator to another, welcome. Im on MC-130J's for the Air Force. I started out with a 6P same as you, and I still use it to this day, although now it has a neutral XM-L @ 1000 lumens. Not a good light for flying because its so bright, but for flying I've found that an HDS Rotary exactly fit my bill, other than color. Mine is a beautiful neutral, but still its nothing compared to a nice high CRI light. I may pick up a HDS Rotary Hi-CRI once they make it into the 200 lumen range and become readily available.

You'll enjoy the 6P! And welcome again!

Thanks! Although I'm not an aviator, I'm a crew chief (it's different in the Army) ;) I just know a lot of people don't quite know what that is, so I say "I fly on" when I talk about my job. But, my job is exactly why I wanted a bright, high cri light. Inspections are tough enough at night, I need something that will make them easier! I got the 4 mode version as well, so when I don't need ~500 lumens I can cycle between 1%, 5%, 30%, and 100%.

sent you a PM, btw.

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
I always recommend an A2 with red LEDs to fly guys.

I preferred the 47s myself when I was downrange. More leg room. :D

callmaster

Enlightened
Hi all! I've checked out CPF over the past few years, but never could bring myself to buy a "premium flashlight." Well, yesterday I finally did. I ordered a Surefire 6P classic from amazon. I'm excited to get it in and just wanted to say hi. I will have questions, and I already have a small plan to upgrade a few things here and there. Anyways... Hi!

That's great. Welcome to CPF! I still don't have a Surefire yet :)

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
I always recommend an A2 with red LEDs to fly guys.

I preferred the 47s myself when I was downrange. More leg room. :D

i looked at the A2, but I'm not a fan of red led's... I prefer green, both of the fact that they are (normally) nvg compatible and they are not as harsh to my eyes under normal circumstances. But when I'm in flight under goggles I just use the finger light to glance around. I couldn't bring myself to spend $200 for one light that does the same things I can already do with what I have on hand. And you know what? Coming up on 8 years in and I have still never ridden in a chinook. I think they'd be fun to crew! You're totally right on the legroom, too... I'm 26 and my back is kind of... Eh... From all the cramped flying in armor I've done.

and call master and tobrein, thanks again!

I will keep this thread updated and do some comparisons once I get everything in.

Last edited:

callmaster

Enlightened
i looked at the A2, but I'm not a fan of red led's... I prefer green, both of the fact that they are (normally) nvg compatible and they are not as harsh to my eyes under normal circumstances. But when I'm in flight under goggles I just use the finger light to glance around. I couldn't bring myself to spend $200 for one light that does the same things I can already do with what I have on hand. And you know what? Coming up on 8 years in and I have still never ridden in a chinook. I think they'd be fun to crew! You're totally right on the legroom, too... I'm 26 and my back is kind of... Eh... From all the cramped flying in armor I've done.

and call master and tobrein, thanks again!

I will keep this thread updated and do some comparisons once I get everything in.

Looking forward to it.

jhp762

Newly Enlightened
Well, I recieved my Nailbender High Cri XML2 today. I dropped it in, turned it on for all of one minute and... nope. I MUCH prefer the stock P60 lamp. It has a more pleasing tint, and I have had no issues with the throw or spill. Yes, the XML2 is noticeably brighter, but meh. Not enough to warrant the switch.

So, it's for sale in the b/s/t sub-forums if anyone is interested. I may try the Nichia next...

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If you're sold on specific characteristics of the P60 incan, I might recommend going with a P90 incan LA with 2xIMR18350's.
The body will need to be bored for 18mm cells of course, but since you may end up doing that anyway, might as well get an early start. :)