HDS Systems        

Thread: Need Help Deciding Click or Twist switch on a Surefire EB2 backup light

Default Need Help Deciding Click or Twist switch on a Surefire EB2 backup light

Hi,

Im in the market for a EB2 Backup light from Surefire.
    But I need help on deciding on what type of switch to get. The twist or the click type?
    So in tactical situations, what would be the most prefered? The Tactical switch or the Click-type switch?

And is there any way to have the click-type switch to be programmed to have it all the time in HIGH mode output?

Flashaholic*

Default Need Help Deciding Click or Twist switch on a Surefire EB2 backup light

Twisty at first then clicky. I went through the same thing after I got tired of twisty 6P I bought a clicky. This is one of these situations that is best to have both. The cost is low enough that is worth buying both. Not only that but you will come across certain situations that twisty is better or clicky is better.
    Last edited by marinemaster; 02-23-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Default Re: Need Help Deciding Click or Twist switch on a Surefire EB2 backup light

My best bet is this - is to ask the sales people to grab a demo light from their show room and hopefully I can test both of them out.
    Im sure they can do this before I decide.

If I get the click type then what are the disadvantages and advantages?
    And also for the tail twist switch?

Never owned Surefires before. I just want to know the advantages/disadvantages for both switch type

thanks.
    Last edited by itsonlyme; 02-23-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Default Re: Need Help Deciding Click or Twist switch on a Surefire EB2 backup light

i would prefer the twisty for "tactical" reasons.

if you want single mode clicky? the head that comes with the twisty model should behave as a single high mode only when used with a clicky switch.
    so if you get the EB2-T (twisty) and an get an extra eb2 or eb1 clicky switch you can get 2 set-ups.

Personally i prefer a clicky but try both if you can,surely you can make that decision on your own as you are going to be the end user,while you are on cannot make my mind up on Pasta or Rice for tea.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

I think the twist cap would take alot of time as opposed to the clicky
    In emergency situations, I would think a clicky would be faster to reach than to twist on the tail cap.

In truly tactical situations, neither the click nor tactical switch are perfect.

With the click switch, it is very possible to press (or click) the switch expecting one output level and get the other one. This is easily resolved by quickly pressing (or clicking) the switch again to get to the other mode. Unfortunately this blast of high output can come at a supremely bad time.

With the tactical switch, it is not necessary to twist the switch to momentarily active the light in either low or high modes. When pressed lightly, low mode is activated. It takes very little pressure to get low to come on. After low is activated, the user must press harder on the switch, and it must travel a short distance, before high is activated. Releasing the switch and immediately (or not) pressing it delivers low mode again, with high a simple hard press away.

If the tactical switch is tightened to a point just before low comes on constant, then it is very easy to tighten the tailcap, with one hand using the overhand grip, to achieve constant low. On my particular light, it takes roughly 120 degrees of rotation after low is on before high mode is reached. This is very easy to accomplish with two hands, but using one hand (with a pistol in the other) it is neither easy nor quick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzman View Post
    In truly tactical situations, neither the click nor tactical switch are perfect.

With the click switch, it is very possible to press (or click) the switch expecting one output level and get the other one. This is easily resolved by quickly pressing (or clicking) the switch again to get to the other mode. Unfortunately this blast of high output can come at a supremely bad time.

With the tactical switch, it is not necessary to twist the switch to momentarily active the light in either low or high modes. When pressed lightly, low mode is activated. It takes very little pressure to get low to come on. After low is activated, the user must press harder on the switch, and it must travel a short distance, before high is activated. Releasing the switch and immediately (or not) pressing it delivers low mode again, with high a simple hard press away.

If the tactical switch is tightened to a point just before low comes on constant, then it is very easy to tighten the tailcap, with one hand using the overhand grip, to achieve constant low. On my particular light, it takes roughly 120 degrees of rotation after low is on before high mode is reached. This is very easy to accomplish with two hands, but using one hand (with a pistol in the other) it is neither easy nor quick.
    Yeah, from this "tactical perspective" the only truly tactical light is one mode light or a light that has only max with the head tight, something like Armytek Predator.
    EB2 is a back-up light, not fully tactical in a sense. But given the choice I would most likely choose clicky interface. It is a matter of taste and of particular applications and technique that you use.

It'd help if you would define the "tactical situation" you expect to be in.

Are you .mil or LE on patrol at night, a suburban dog walker, or that guy who needs to clear his mom's basement in-between rounds of COD?

FWIW, I like clicky switches on everything.

Click switch every time for me,the twisty is just plain useless in a tactical situation but let us be honest here i wager there is only a very few who even need a tactical situation light on this forum and they are either in the busy profession or armed forces,the rest are just wannabe 007,s.

I love the one handed twisty users because none of mine make it easy to switch on in the first place with a daft old fashioned twisty switch.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome