New EDC. Single 18650.

Spypro

Enlightened
At the beginning of winter I lost in the snow what was my ECD at the moment, a Quark 2xAA XML. I like the 2xAA format but I'm looking for more power in a little package. As an example of flashlight size I can carry: a Jetbeam JetIIIM in my pockets is no problems.

So I was looking at some flashlights:

Nitecore SRT7, ArmyTek Viking, Zebralight SC600 MKii.

I like a balance between flood and throw. I like to see what is in front of me say.. 100 yards. But I don't like "tunnel visions".
Flood is good, to have a larger field of vision and it is good for close work too.

Any suggestions are appreciated !

gratmars

Newly Enlightened
I have an eagletac T25C2 that I feel is the perfect compromise in a medium light. Fancy modes are hidden, the output levels are easily changed but won't ever get accidentally changed. Relatively compact and smaller than the first two lights you've listed. But it will be larger than the AA light you had. If you like that size get the Eagletac D25LC2.

kj2

Flashaholic
I've the SC600 MKII L2 now for two days, and I really really like it :) nice balance between flood and throw. I do have to say, it reach will end at around 100meters.
The Viking, which has also a nice flood-part, does throw a little but further.

nickdizonc

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased the updated 2014 Thrunite TN12 and in my opinion it is at this snapshot in time the absolute best EDC light out on the market. I have been rotating my EDC between the SC600 MKII L2, Sunwayman C21C, Klarus ST2C,Fenix PD35, and the Thrunite Lynx, and I feel the Thrunite is the best all around. With 1050lumens packed into a slim sub 3ounce package (w/o batteries) its definitely hard to beat. And the icing on the cake is its under $50 shipped on amazon. Thrunite is an industry leader in terms of quality and performance so you can be confident in your purchase. I'd give that and the Fenix PD35 a very close look as those are the 2 best EDC lights in my collection.

GregY

Newly Enlightened
Is something like a P60 light too much? Some of those choices seem a bit smaller. Because I EDC a AAA keychain light and a single-AA pocket light (QTA), and I've been considering building a P60-host light to carry in my backpack to supplement those. I like the flexibility of the format.

Last edited:

Spypro

Enlightened
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I forgot about P60 light ;) I have 3 P60 host and a Nailbender drop-in and a Dereelight one.
Maybe something like a XML L2 drop in would be interesting ?

TheVat26

Enlightened
What kind of P60 hosts do you have? I recently bought a nailbender xpg2 cool white (1 mode) paired with a Solarforce L2P and pocket clip. Throws 100 yards very well, excellent spill, zero rings or imperfections. It ran about 2.5 hours on a 3100mah ET 18650. Could have run longer, but it was getting dim. I was about to get an xml2 drop in, but was advised the runtime was about an hour. I'm sure the spill would have been amazing but 1 hour isn't enough for me. I edc this light sometimes and wanted more than hour.

moozooh

Enlightened
P60 drop-ins won't be as small or efficient as a ZL or TN light of those mentioned above. ZL SC600w mk2 in particular seems to fit your bill quite well due to it being both EDC'able (barely thicker than a 2xAA light, and much shorter) and very good to fill those 100 yards with a wall of rather decent floody light. Plus you get all the nifty features of ZL's user interface. I've just ordered one as well as a replacement for my trusty old SC600; I was already very happy with the power and economy of my old light, so I'm thrilled to get the qiality-of-life improvements in new strobe modes, battery checker, PID-controlled high modes, and a much better tint than the one cool white versions have.

Spypro

Enlightened
Well… after days of insomnia and fighting I decided to buy a Zebralight SC600 mkii. Now what I have to do is to find a good canadian or US online retailer.

tonkem

Enlightened
Illumination supply is a great US dealer. Have ordered from before and has some of the CW SC600 MKII L2s in stock

BauXite

Newly Enlightened
I don't mean to rekindle your insomnia but I would always be looking for the switch on the Zebra, I'd rather a tail switch. I'm not really a flashlight enthusiast but I just got a Fenix TK12, it's more floody than a lot of my other lights. No clip on the TK12 so maybe that wouldn't work for you.