Kawasaki KLX 300 Light upgrade

crazychimpjimbo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

Been a few years since I posted! Always been into MTB lights so this is something new! I've changed Enduro bikes recently! Gone from a Yam WR with modern dc electrics to a Kawasaki kick only running ac.

Its hard to find some details but a lot of forum talk has suggested the stator/alternator kicks out around 40w. Now my plan was to convert ac to dc to acquire full MOT for the uk. I.e. dim-able lights, brake/tail light etc!

My plan is to install a 12v regulator from the pole on the stator, followed by rectifier, onto a battery pack. The wiring will go to appropriate switches that operate the lights. Now the rear lights are DRC Edge 2, rated at 4.65w at full brightness, i.e. braking. I haven't Decided for sure on the fronts but potentially it could be Trailtech X2 HID kit which drives 70w on main beam.

If I was to go for this setup what battery pack size wise should I be looking into? Would a 12V 3700 mAh NiMH be sufficent or would this drain faster than it can charge? Would I need to upgrade the stator to cope with potentially rounded up number 80w's?

If I have confused everybody just say and Ill start again!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a few years since I posted!
Welcome back!

Now my plan was to... acquire full MOT for the uk. I.e. dim-able lights, brake/tail light etc!

Now the rear lights are DRC Edge 2, rated at 4.65w at full brightness, i.e. braking. I haven't Decided for sure on the fronts but potentially it could be Trailtech X2 HID kit which drives 70w on main beam.

In the pics I'm seeing for the DRC Edge 2, there are no UN or ECE markings, which are required. You won't pass MOT with them. Similarly, Trailtechs X2 HID lamp (they say it's a "kit" but it appears to be a complete lamp assembly) lacks UN/ECE markings. (Had they markings, it wouldn't be surprising if they were forged.)

Your bike would be a no-go for MOT based on the lack of required lens markings alone. It's probably also true that these lamps are underperforming.

crazychimpjimbo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Alaric

Thanks for the reply!

OK well lets put the actual ece/un markings and brand of lights aside as I can always use a yamaha 2009 wr 125 r rear and front headlight which I have spare and should pass MOT's in the UK.

Would this be the correct way of wiring up the the system and what would be a good way of working out the capacity of a 12v battery to run this and would I need to upgrade the stator?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
MoT, Ministry of Transport. The old name for what is now the Department for Transport, the UK's regulatory agency comparable to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "MoT" is still what the UK's periodic vehicle roadworthiness inspection is called, though.

sadtimes

Enlightened
MoT, Ministry of Transport. The old name for what is now the Department for Transport, the UK's regulatory agency comparable to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "MoT" is still what the UK's periodic vehicle roadworthiness inspection is called, though.

Got it. Thank you!

Latest posts