Scubapro modular light

Stewy41

Newly Enlightened
I bought a non working canister light the batteries where trash and after taking the lightheaded the smell of burnt plastic it also was trash. So I decided 4 x 18650's and 3 XML reflector modules where the way to go but as I have zero experience with this type of modding I need to know I need a driver ? Also do I need a heat sink ? Or because I am using it in the water does mean I don't need to worry about heat?

hydropower

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a driver is needed. You need to get the heat to the water, so some sort of heat sink will probably be needed. And don't forget the battery protection PCB (might be built in to the cell, but you need to verify that!)

Stewy41

Newly Enlightened
Thanks hydropower, which leads to another couple of questions can you buy drivers ready made ? DX or maplins regarding the heat sink is it just physical contact between the reflector modules and the inside of the light head housing which is aluminum ? Many thanks for help.

hydropower

Newly Enlightened
There are ready made drivers to be found (search the forum) but I never used one (I make my own...). Regarding the heat it depends on how good thermal contact you get, but the goal is to transfer enough heat to the aluminium housing where the water/air can take care of it.