A cops "old" flashlight!

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are pics of my mother-in-laws flashlight from when she was a cop in the 70's and early 80's. It is a Bianchi B-Lite. This thing is heavy! I threw in a few fresh D cells and it fired right up:thumbsup:

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
In before Star Halo shows up with a "Why bother when you can find a modern LED flashlight much brighter, smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the cells you just put in that dinosaur" comment. ;)

Seriously though that's really cool. Something with that kind of sentimental value i might even go so far as to refinish and restore.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting looking light. Here is one that was on display in Little Rock, Arkansas, it was used by the Arkansas State Troopers.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The above white metal light on display is just like a few old lights my father has in his house, only his are smaller two cell lights. They have a small oval plate riveted to the body, just like the one posted. The plates are so worn you cannot tell what was on it, I'll assume the manufacturer but IDK. Does anyone know the brand of these lights or what those plates say?

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool stuff guys. My mother-in-law still uses the light now that I put some fresh cells in it. I do have a mag led conversion bulb, wonder if it would fit? Something to mess with :)

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, just put batteries in it and it lit right up. It has been in storage since the 80's. she says she doesn't remember ever changing the bulb.

broadgage

Enlightened
cool stuff guys. My mother-in-law still uses the light now that I put some fresh cells in it. I do have a mag led conversion bulb, wonder if it would fit? Something to mess with :)

I doubt that a dedicated Maglight LED bulb will fit as these are oversized and DO NOT fit most other lights.
A standard PR based LED drop in should be fine.

The existing bulb might be original, or it might be an identical replacement fitted early in the life of the light. Many lights carried by Police officers in urban areas saw little use, carried a lot, and dropped or knocked around a lot, but not often used for illumination.

EyeisMT40

Newly Enlightened
In his treatise "Fundamentals of Modern Police Impact Weapons" Massad Ayoob had some good things to say about the Bianchi "B-Lite"...!!
My MagLite 5D is quite the brute, too!!!
BTW....Mr.Ayoob STRONGLY recommends that a torch like the "B-Lite" be used ONLY as a "last-resort" weapon....and THEN, more as a thrusting/jabbing tool, rather than a club!!:rolleyes: