Test/Review of Charger Efest Xsmart

HKJ

Flashaholic
[size=+3]Charger Efest Xsmart[/size]

At first glance this charge might look like the Xblack charger, but it is a much better charger.

DSC_4661.jpg

DSC_4662.jpg

DSC_4663.jpg
DSC_4665.jpg

Efest has been building a line of chargers from single cell to four cell with fixed and variable current, this is a single cell charger with usb output.

DSC_4658.jpg

The charger I got was not in the final box, i.e. I do not know what is included with the charger.

DSC_4666.jpg

The charger can be supplied with 12V DC from a power supply or from a car.

DSC_4667.jpg

It does also have a micro usb power input and a usb power output.
I wonder why the input is labeled with voltage and current, but not the output.

DSC_4668.jpg
DSC_4669.jpg

The charger can handle from 31mm to 72mm long batteries.

DSC_4670.jpg

The charger has the usual red/green led. It is red while charging and green at all other times when power is connected.
It will flash green or red when usb output is active, depending on power level on the battery.

supportedBatteryTypes.png

supportedBatterySizes.png
DSC_4674.jpg
DSC_4673.jpg
DSC_4672.jpg
DSC_4671.jpg

The charger can handle 70 mm long batteries including flat top cells.

[size=+2]Measurements charger[/size]

• When not connected to power it will discharges with up to 0.5mA.
  • When power is connected with a full battery, the charger will discharge with 0.5mA
  • Below 2.8 volt the charger charges with up to 150mA
  • Above 2.8 volt is will charge LiIon with full current.
  • It will restart if battery drops to 4.13 volt.
  • It will not restart charging on reinsertion of the battery or power cycling.

Efest%20Xsmart%2012V%20(PA18650-31).png

The charger does a good CC/CV charging with a termination current of about 50mA, this is very good.

Efest%20Xsmart%2012V%20(BE18650-26).png

Efest%20Xsmart%2012V%20(PA18650-34).png

There is no surprise with the 2600 and 3400 mAh batteries.

Efest%20Xsmart%2012V%20(AW16340-IMR).png

The old IMR 16340 cells does also charge fine.

Efest%20Xsmart%2012V%20(AW18350-IMR).png

Same with the IMR 18350 cell.

Efest%20Xsmart%205V%20(PA18650-31).png

Using the 5 volt input, do put a restriction on the charger. The current is reduced when the voltage reach 4 volt. The only negative aspect of this is the longer charge time.

Temperature12V.png

M1: 36,7°C, M2: 37,5°C, HS1: 49,0°C
With 12V supply there is some heat in the charger.

Temperature5V.png

M1: 38,4°C, M2: 31,1°C, HS1: 39,2°C
Using the usb power supply does reduce the heat in the charger significantly.

Startup.png

The charger starts very fast.

[size=+2]Measurements USB output[/size]

• USB output is will turn on automatic when loaded, it is very sensitive (Less than 0.05mA load needed).
  • USB output is coded as Apple 1A
  • Led flashes green when usb output is active
  • Led flashes red when battery is nearly empty (3.30 volt) in usb output mode.
  • USB output is off when power is connected to the charger.
  • Output turns off when overloaded.

Efest%20Xsmart%20load%20sweep.png

The usb output can deliver 1.2A, this is very good value for a 1A output.

Efest%20Xsmart%20out%205ohm%20(PA18650-31).png

The output can deliver 1A for 1½ hour, before it gets into problems.

Efest%20Xsmart%20out%2010ohm%20(PA18650-31).png

Reducing the current to 0.5A more than double the time and gets rid of any funny stuff.
With a cutoff voltage of 3V, it is safe with all LiIon batteries, but cannot get the full capacity from the new generation Panasonic cell (2900/31000/3400/3600mAh).

Efest%20Xsmart%20out%2010ohm%20(BE18650-26).png

Efest%20Xsmart%20out%2010ohm%20(PA18650-34).png

Other battery capacities works just as well, and can sustain the output for different times.

5ohm.png

The noise is very low on this usb output (17mV rms).

10ohm.png

And reducing the current will also reduce the noise (8mV rms).

[size=+2]Conclusion[/size]

This charger is a good single channel charger. It can charger any 18650 battery, but with smaller batteries it has to be IMR batteries.
I like the automatic turn on for the usb output and it output works fairly well.

[size=+3]Notes[/size]

The charger was supplied by Efest for a review.

Here is an explanation on how I did the above charge curves: How do I test a charger

Read more about how I test USB power supplies and chargers

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review! given its price I would've thought this would be a poor charger, but it's obviously quite a bargain I see

jaross

Newly Enlightened
Hi, thanks for this info! Is this a good unit to charge my cell phone, via the USB output? I ordered a Miller ML-102 Version 8, but I have since heard bad things about the ML-102 version 7 and it does not seem that much is known about the version 8 yet. I want to make sure I am being safe. The Efest Xsmart seems to be a more substancial, trustworthy unit then the ML-102 (?)

EDIT:
It would seem that since I would only ever charge my 18650s on my intellecharger and then use the charged 18650s in a ML-102 (or Xsmart) to charge my phone up, that I have nothing to worry about. The problems with the version 7 are only when it is being used to charge up a 18650. It would also seem however, that either the ML-102 or the Xsmart may charge my phone very slowly, as their power output is too low.

My charger that came with my phone says output 9v 1.57A or 5v 2A. My phone is a Samsung S6 and it has a fast charging capability, but it disables fast charging when connected to a power source that is not capable. It sounds like both the ML-102 and the Xsmart would be slow to charge my phone, but in an emergency, it would get me enough juice to make a short call or send a few txts, is this correct?

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
After boatloads of research for an 18650 USB charger / power bank / potential solar setup - I have landed on the Xsmart.

I've been hanging out in this section for a the past week and have learned a boatload. 2 questions for this charger... if you guys would be so kind.

1) How are they holding up after long term use. All functions good to go? Any issues?

2) Learning that there are plenty of quality cells out there - if I grab this as my only piece of equipment and a pair of 18650 am I good to go?

Any safety issue with using just this and the 18650 without any other equipment?

I just want to grab some good cells and then just plug and play. Done.

THANKS!

- Forrest

:popcorn:

HKJ

Flashaholic
2) Learning that there are plenty of quality cells out there - if I grab this as my only piece of equipment and a pair of 18650 am I good to go?

Any safety issue with using just this and the 18650 without any other equipment?

Basically yes, but it can be a good idea to have a multimeter/voltmeter/DMM to check the batteries with.
When to check batteries:
The first few times the charger is used, voltage must be in the range 4.10 to 4.25 volt (4.16 to 4.20 is best).
When you have run a unprotected battery dry, voltage must be above 2 volt before charging or it is best to recycle the battery (over 3 volt is better).

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically yes, but it can be a good idea to have a multimeter/voltmeter/DMM to check the batteries with.
When to check batteries:
The first few times the charger is used, voltage must be in the range 4.10 to 4.25 volt (4.16 to 4.20 is best).
When you have run a unprotected battery dry, voltage must be above 2 volt before charging or it is best to recycle the battery (over 3 volt is better).

I forgot, I just so happen to have a DMM that was gifted by a very generous CPF'er. Checking the cell after and before charge sounds cumbersome, and I don't like the additional equipment but I guess that goes with the territory. I will only be running protected cells. I would think most people don't check every time after they get familiar with their setup. But that is venturing OT and a discussion for a different thread.

Thanks for the info and excellent work as always. I wouldn't even consider it if you didn't review it, as it would just be another charger I know nothing about.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I would think most people don't check every time after they get familiar with their setup. But that is venturing OT and a discussion for a different thread.

I did not mean to say that you have to check every time.
With charging it was only the first few times, to see that the charger works correctly.
With empty cells it was only when you know that you have run it completely empty, not if you charge it before it is empty.

And, of course, if a battery has some strange behaviour, you will also check it.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not mean to say that you have to check every time.
With charging it was only the first few times, to see that the charger works correctly.
With empty cells it was only when you know that you have run it completely empty, not if you charge it before it is empty.

And, of course, if a battery has some strange behaviour, you will also check it.

Thanks for the info!

alchem13

Newly Enlightened
Was wondering if a 2A power supply would be okay with the Efest xSmart. I thought that you could exceed amps with a ps but not volts, but wanted to double check before something went up in flames. Thanks.

alchem13

Newly Enlightened
That's what I thought, but I emailed eFest and got this reply:

" Thanks for your inquiry, this is Regina from Efest company, and nice to know you!

I prefer you don't do that, as you know our Xsmart single charger only use at 0.5A and 1A, it can't charge at 12V/2A current, attachment is details for you, hope you can understand.

Thanks and Best regards

Regina
Skype ID: battery.efest "

I'm guessing this is not a tech support person?