Help! Low Voltage (12V) Wires Burn Out At One Location In The Series -- How To Fix?

UPTHEORG

Newly Enlightened
I came to this forum as a flashlight collector and I discovered the Fixed Lighting sub-forum when googling a problem that I have:

I am a homeowner with 8 fixtures on one switch -- each fixture contains a 50 watt 12 volt MR16 bulb -- bi-pin. This has been working in our home for over 3 years, but at one location in the series, the bulb stops working and when I open it up, I see that the wire connecting the female bi-pin connector to the system is burnt and either the electrical tape or the connector is melted. The bulb is fine. This has happened several times over the years and only at that location.

Is there some easy fix that I can do? I have been splicing the wire and re-attaching it, but it burns out in the same way within a couple of months of daily use.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Jim

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
pictures?

offhand, it sounds like there is a high resistance contact somewhere in the socket. You might want to troubleshoot it, but ultimately, the quickest fix might be to just replace the socket. i.e. start replacing stuff until the problem goes away. :)

Personally, I get concerned when I hear about generating that much heat in electrical wiring. Better fix it fast.

inetdog

Enlightened
If the bi-pin socket itself is bad, it will get hot and also overheat the wire causing the junction to fail.
The very first failure may have been the connection overheating the socket, but by now I bet the socket is the cause of the problem. I would try replacing it.
That said, just twisting wires together is not going to be electrically satisfactory.
:)

gur

Newly Enlightened
I have periodically had this problem in my house. The only solution is to replace the bi-pin socket. They are quite inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CFC99TE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I would strongly recommend using a wire nut to make the connection (they come in small sizes).

This issue was a significant factor in my decision to switch to LED MR16s because of the significantly lower heat generation. The halogen heat is just too much. There are excellent 50w LED MR16s available now.