Best LED fixtures for garage or closet

LostInTheTrees

Newly Enlightened
I have been trying to get rid of all my incandescents and replace them with LEDs. In my garage, utility room and master closet though, the previous owners installed Florescent fixtures containing T<something> bulbs. What's the most cost effective way to replace these with LEDs?

In the closet there are two fixtures each with 4 3 foot bulbs. In the garage there are 2 fixtures with 2 6 foot bulbs each. The utility room has 2 fixtures with 2 3 foot bulbs each.

I'm open to replacing entire fixtures, bulbs or something in between. Thanks.

-Bob

Last edited:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T<whatevers> are actually quite efficient. Why not run them 'till they die?

brickbat

Enlightened
Now wait, the OP specifically said T<something>, not T<whatever> ;)

(If T<something> = 32 Watt T8, then it's about as efficient as the best commonly available LED lamps at the moment...)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
T<whatever> tubes are florescent and extremely efficient compared to incandescent. What specific deficiencies are you looking to address?

dss_777

Enlightened
You might just remove half of the bulbs in each fixture, or go with some other fraction that gives enough light for the situation.

An easy fix to reduce power consumption in areas that may not suffer for it, like closets.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now wait, the OP specifically said T<something>, not T<whatever> ;)

(If T<something> = 32 Watt T8, then it's about as efficient ...

He has oddball lengths. I don't think the T 8<somethingings> come in 3 and 6 foot. Therefore T-12, maybe magnetic ballasts, maybe aged and dim. I can't quite see unless he swings around his monitor.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
OP's request was vague (want to replace incandescents, but talk about florescent fixtures), did not indicate what they were looking for (brighter, dimmer, more efficient, better light, prettier fixture, different light distribution, smaller, needs to have a bottle opener incorporated into it, whatever), and they haven't returned to clarify their request.

dspiffy

Newly Enlightened
We redid two storage rooms, one was T12 fluorescent, the other was incandescent (then CFL). Now they are both T8s and frankly it is the best quality light available right now. If you have T8 fixtures, leave them. If you have T12, upgrade to T8. Sometimes it's as simple as changing the bulbs and ballast.