delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

work_permit

Newly Enlightened
Re: Got caught tonight

They measure cri for a reason. And r9 as well.

Do yourself a favor next time. Compare your led vrs an incand side by side using your hand/skin tone as a guide. Hand first under incand, then under led. Which looks better? Which makes your skin look more toned? Which makes your veins pop out? Your basic home depot led will make your skin look worse for the wear.

There are leds which flatter more then incands. Basically find a light with more red and blue, and less yellow. More saturated skin tones. Good luck.

Last edited:

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened

Yep, CRI is the culprit here. CRI ~80 LED bulbs are OK for general use but my L-Prize bulbs really bring out the skin tones. There's a night-and-day difference between them and my other bulbs.

Their main problem is the ~1/2 second turn-on delay and the quick red flash that precedes them turning on to full brightness.

inetdog

Enlightened

I see a big future market in appliance SNF rough service bulbs.

FWIW I have tried one of the new Cree high CRI bulbs in our bathroom mirror lights and neither I nor my wife can tell the difference.

hazlitt

Newly Enlightened

Maybe China will sell them on ebay for many years to come.... always a way! I'm finding this image verification to be very difficult, had to reload a half dozen times to try.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Well, thank God I am a moderator or I would have some thoughts that would be deleted re the first post. So I remain professional and wish the op well.

Bill.

jtr1962

Flashaholic

Have you ever tried some high CRI CFLs like these? Yes, at 5500K they're a lot whiter than incandescent but with a CRI of 92 they'll still bring out the reds. I think this is just a case of her being used to the way she looks under incandescent which incidentally is hardly a natural type of light. If she likes the way she looks under sunlight, then she'll like the lamps I suggested.

Anyway, I'm not surprised by her negative reaction to typical CFLs, or even the Cree lamp. You can get away with low to mid 80s CRI at higher CCTs, but at 2700K or 3000K most lower CRI lamps look "off", for lack of a better word. Your eye expects a lot of red at such a low CCT, and many CFLs are quite deficient in that area.

IMO stocking up on incans is a waste of money. If anyone can't live without incandescent, we have the 2X lamps which will be legal to sell until at least 2020 when the 45 lumens per watt minimum for all general lighting lamps kicks in. If they manage to get to 3X or 4X by then, which looks likely, then incans will still be legal to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.