Fenix PD35 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy, as usual. :whistle:

PD35009.jpg

PD35008.jpg

To my mind, the PD35 is one of the "flagship" lights from Fenix – a very popular workhorse in the common 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR class. So popular in fact that a number of other makers have released similar compact models in this battery class, with comparable dual-switch interfaces.

The current PD35 (XM-L2 U2) has be out for a little while now, but I have only recently got my hands on one for testing. Let's see how it compares to the recent competition in this class. :whistle:

For additional general comments on how several of the current dual-switch lights in this battery class compare, please see my post #2.

Manufacturer Reported Specifications:
(note: as always, these are simply what the manufacturer provides – scroll down to see my actual testing results).

• LED: Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED
  • Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries
  • Output/Runtime: Turbo 850 lumens/1hr 15min – Hi 450 lumens / 2hr 30min – Mid 170 lumens / 7hr 45min – Lo 45 Lumens / 29hr – Eco 10 lumens / 140 hr – Strobe 850 Lumens
  • Beam Distance 185m
  • Beam Intensity: 8600cd
  • Impact Resistant: 1m
  • Waterproof: IPX-8, underwater 2m
  • Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
  • Low-voltage warning function to remind you to replace the battery
  • Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
  • Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
  • Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
  • Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
  • Side switch on the head
  • Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
  • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
  • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
  • Dimensions: 139mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
  • Weight: 87-gram weight (excluding the battery)
  • MSRP: ~$75
PD35006.jpg

PD35005.jpg

PD35004.jpg

Packaging is fairly standard for Fenix. The orange and black cardboard box has a lot of specs and an overview of the light. Inside, included with the light are spare O-rings, basic wrist lanyard, holster with Velcro closing flap, pocket clip (attached), spare forward switch boot cover, product inserts, warranty card, and manual.

PD35025.jpg

PD35031.jpg

PD35017.jpg

From left to right: AW Protected 18650 2200mAh; Fenix PD35; Nitecore P12; Eagletac TX25C2; Sunwayman V25C; Olight S20 2014; Eagletac D25LC2; Sunwayman C21C; Foursevens Quark Q123-2.

All dimensions directly measured, and given with no batteries installed:

Fenix PD35: Weight: 82.7g, Length: 138.1mm, Width (bezel): 25.4mm
Eagletac D25LC2: Weight: 50.0g, Length: 116.3mm, Width (bezel): 22.5mm
Eagletac TX25C2: Weight 93.6g, Length: 120.4mm, Width (bezel): 31.6mm
Foursevens Quark Q123-2 X (Regular tailcap): Weight: 44.6g, Length: 112.7mm, Width (bezel) 22.0mm
Foursevens MMR-X: Weight 90.8g, Weight (with 18650): 138.5g, Length: 138.6mm, Width (bezel): 31.5mm
Foursevens MMX Burst: Weight 145.8g, Length: 153.3mm, Width (bezel): 38.7mm
Nitecore P12: Weight: 89.7g, Length: 139.4mm, Width (bezel): 25.4mm
Olight M20S-X: Weight: 124.1g, Length: 145.4mm, Width: 35.5mm (head)
Thrunite TN12-2014: Weight: 80.0g, Length: 140.5mm, Width (bezel): 25.4mm
Zebralight SC600 II: Weight 79.3g, Length: 101.8mm, Width (bezel) 29.7mm

PD35007.jpg

PD35015.jpg

PD35014.jpg

PD35016.jpg

PD35010.jpg

The PD35 is a fairly compact light. Anodizing has a black finish, hard anodized (i.e., type III) – with no chips or damage on my sample. Body labels are fairly subtle (i.e., light gray instead of bright white). Knurling is relatively aggressive on the body tube. When combined all the other grip elements (e.g., cooling fins in the head, side switch cover, pocket clip, etc.), overall grip is excellent. :thumbsup: The fins in the head also have an anti-roll feature. The pocket clip holds onto the light very firmly.

Tailcap screw threads are square cut and anodized for tailcap lock-out. There are also a good number of threads – more than typical on a light this size.

The P35 uses a protruding forward clicky switch, so tailstanding is not possible. There are raised areas on the sides of the switch, but these are just for the lanyard attachment. I'm not sure why they didn't design this to allow tailstanding, as most other makers have. :thinking:

On/off is controlled by the physical tailcap clicky switch, but all mode switching is done by the electronic side switch in the head. The mode-changing switch in the head has pretty good feel for an electronic switch. It is relatively easy to locate by feel or sight, and has a definite click, with typical traverse. Please see my User Interface section for a discussion.

There is a spring on the contact board in the head, so flat-top cells can be used. The reverse polarity protection system must be circuit based, not physical. The body tube is wide enough to accommodate all size 18650 cells, but you may find really long cells under tight pressure with the dual springs.

PD35012.jpg

PD35037.jpg

The overall head is not very large. Reflector is smooth, and of moderate depth given the size of the head. Coupled with the XM-L2 cool white emitter (which was well centered on my sample), I would expect a fairly typical beam pattern. Scroll down for beamshots.

The PD35 comes with a flat black aluminum bezel.

User Interface

The PD35 has a straightforward interface. Turn the light on/off by the forward tailcap switch. Lightly press and hold for momentary, click (press and release) for constant on. Click again to turn off.

To change modes, click the electronic switch in the head, while the light on. Mode sequence is Eco > Lo > Med > Hi > Turbo, in repeating sequence. The light has mode memory, and returns the last level set after turning the tail switch off/on.

Press and hold the electronic switch to access an oscillating Strobe mode. A single click exits you from Strobe back into constant output.

Video:

For information on the light, including the build and user interface, please see my video overview:

Video was recorded in 720p, but YouTube typically defaults to 360p. Once the video is running, you can click on the configuration settings icon and select the higher 480p to 720p options. You can also run full-screen.

As with all my videos, I recommend you have annotations turned on. I commonly update the commentary with additional information or clarifications before publicly releasing the video.

PWM/Strobe

As with other Fenix lights, the PD35 is current-controlled. There is no PWM, on any level. And unlike my recent LD12 review, there is no sign of circuit noise on any level either. :)

Strobe
PD35-Strobe1.gif

The strobe is an oscillating strobe, switching between two frequencies every 2 secs or so (6.5Hz and 14.8Hz). Here is a blow-up of each strobe frequency:

PD35-Strobe2.gif

PD35-Strobe3.gif

There are no additional blinky modes on the PD35 (unlike my LD12, which had an additional SOS mode).

Beamshots:

For white-wall beamshots below, all lights are on Max output on an AW protected 18650 battery. Lights are about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

PD35-Beam001.jpg
P12-Beam001.jpg

TN12-Beam001.jpg
MMRX3-Beam001.jpg

PD35-Beam002.jpg
P12-Beam002.jpg

TN12-Beam002.jpg
MMRX-Beam002.jpg

PD35-Beam003.jpg
P12-Beam003.jpg

TN12-Beam003.jpg
MMRX-Beam003.jpg

PD35-Beam004.jpg
P12-Beam004.jpg

TN12-Beam004.jpg
MMRX-Beam004.jpg

Beam pattern is good, about what you would expect for a light/reflector this size. The PD35 has a fairly wide spillbeam, with a somewhat wider than typical hotstpot. The PD35 is probably one of the "floodiest" options in this size class, with the most consistently "clean" beam (i.e., lowest number of artifacts and rings). But the difference to other recent lights is not that great. Max output on turbo seems to be quite bright for this class – scroll down for detailed output and throw measures.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, as described on my flashlightreviews.ca website. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lightbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

My summary tables are reported in a manner consistent with the ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/FL1.htm for a discussion, and a description of all the terms used in these tables. Effective July 2012, I have updated all my Peak Intensity/Beam Distance measures with a NIST-certified Extech EA31 lightmeter (orange highlights).

TN12-FL1-Summary1.gif

TN12-FL1-Summary2.gif

TN12-FL1-Summary3.gif

The PD35 is clearly driven very hard on Turbo – it has one of the highest 1x18650 outputs I've measured in this class. That's quite impressive for such a compact light. Note as well that the PD35 is even brighter on max on 2x battery sources than 1x18650. :eek:oo:

Throw is quite reasonable for the class, given the size of the head and reflector.

Let's see how all the levels compare to the official specs, on 1x18650 in my lightbox:

PD35-Lumens.gif

There is a generally good concordance between my estimated lumens and Fenix published specs – except my measures are all somewhat higher. :rolleyes: As always, you have to consider my estimated lumens as a source of relative measures between lights (i.e., not to be taken as absolute values). Note that the Turbo mode of the PD35 steps down to the Hi level (see my Runtimes below for more info).

One thing I would like to see is a lower Lo mode. Fenix refers to their 10 lumen level as "Eco", which is a cute way of saying long runtime. But I would prefer a true <1 lumen "moonlight/firefly" mode instead.

Output/Runtime Graphs:

To start, here is a comparison of four of my highest output recent lights in this class; the Zebralight SC600-II, Fenix PD35, Nitecore P12, and Thrunite TN12-2014:

TN12-PD35-P12-MedHi.gif

TN12-PD35-P12-Max.gif

Given the incredibly high drive level of these lights on Max, it is not surprising that all of them either show a direct-drive-like pattern (i.e., the TN12-2014), or have a defined step-down (either timed or thermal-managed). It just isn't possible for these small lights to maintain that sort of output (and heat) on a single 18650 in a fully regulated fashion for long. The Fenix PD35 and Nitecore P12 have a very similar pattern of gradual step-downs from Max, with at least the first step timed.

The PD35 shows excellent efficiency and regulation at all levels, roughly comparable to the 18650-only SC600-II. :thumbsup:

Let's see how it does on 1x18650 against a wider range of lights (omitting the comparisons already shown above):

PD35-Hi18650.gif

PD35-Med18650.gif

Again, the PD35 is an extremely efficient member of this class. :)

Here are a couple of comparisons on 2x battery sources:

P12-HiRCR.gif

P12-HiCR123A.gif

Thanks to the set of step-downs on Hi, you can safely run 2xCR123A or 2xRCR cells in this light. Efficiency is again excellent, on all battery sources.

Potential Issues

The PD35 lacks a true "moonlight" mode.

There are a series of step-downs from Turbo on all batteries (i.e., rapid step-down to Hi, and then a subsequent step down to Med).

The PD35 can't tailstand in its native form, despite the raised lanyard attachment points on the tailcap. These seems like an odd omission, as access to the switch is reduced by the raised side posts (i.e., why reduce access this much, if you aren't going to support tailstanding?).

Preliminary Observations

As you can see above, there really aren't too many issues that I can find with this light – the PD35 is a very respectable (and leading) member of the compact 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR family of lights. :wave:

Build quality is top-notch, with good attention to detail. Hand feel is fabulous, with top of class grip. The only thing I would change physically about the light is tailstanding – for some odd reason, they have built up the edges of the tailcap high enough to interfere with access to the switch, but not enough to allow tailstanding. :thinking: You could probably adjust this yourself by opening up the switch internals and adding an appropriately-sized spacer, but it is odd that you would have to.

Also, given the price premium this model commands over competing products from other makers, I think a better quality wrist lanyard and holster would be nice. Anyone else fondly remember the old Fenix open pouch design with elastic sides? ;)

I find the PD35 user interface very intuitive. The mode-changing electronic side switch was pioneered by Fenix some time ago, and they have certainly figured out how to do it right. Switch feel is good, and the interface is straightforward. I'm glad the "tactical" strobe is hidden behind a press-hold. But I wish makers of general purpose lights would put a slow signaling strobe or fast beacon in there instead (or at least, in addition).

The circuit also performed admirably in my testing. There is no sign of the "flicker" effect that plagued the recent LD12 upgrade – all levels were rock-solid stable on my PD35. Output/runtime efficiency was excellent as always, with very flat regulation (note that the light steps down significantly from Turbo). Fenix was always a leader in regards to regulation and efficiency, and I'm glad to see they have kept it up on this latest version of the PD35 family.

Beam pattern is good, well suited to a general purpose light. The nice wide hotspot is suitable for a lot of tasks, even without a diffuser. And since the PD35 is based on an established build, there are plenty of Fenix diffuser/filter/cone accessories that are available.

One thing that I am a little surprised at is the max output – the PD35 nears the top my charts for 1x18650, coming in just slightly under the Zebralight SC600-II (at least initially). :eek:oo: Of course, the PD35 has a defined step-down on turbo, but that initial ~1000 lumen output was unexpected given the size (and 850 official lumen spec).

At the end of the day, there is a lot here to commend the PD35. I'm not sure why Fenix hasn't moved to a true "moonlight" mode (like a number of their current-controlled competition). But as it is, the PD35 is still a top performer, and highly recommend for this class. :wave:

P.S.: I know a lot people are wondering how the Fenix PD35 directly compares to Nitecore P12 and Thrunite TN12-2014. In addition to all the objectives measures included in this review, I've added some general comparison comments in post #2.

-----

PD35 provided by Fenix for review

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have just posted detailed individual reviews of Fenix PD35, Nitecore P12 and Thrunite TN12-2014. Since the lights are all very similar, the decision most of you have will be which one to get.

To help with that, here are direct comparisons of key features of the lights, to allow you to better choose the one that is right for you. Please see the table/figures in the review for more info.

Overall Build Quality and "Feel": The PD35 has most solid build in my estimation, with the most "grippy" overall hand feel and the best built-in anti-roll feature. The P12 is a close second on most of these measures, whereas the TN12-2014 has the smoothest body (contributing to a lower hand "feel" on this model, compared to the others). The pocket clip works well on all three models (note that the PD35 has the stiffest clip retention).

Switch "Feel" and Access: The P12 has significantly easier access to the tailswitch, relative to the PD35 and TN12-2014 (which are roughly equivalent to each other). This is odd, as it is only the P12 and TN12-2014 that allow tailstanding out of the box. That said, the PD35 has the best electronic side switch feel, with the most definite "click" - followed closely by the P12. The TN12-2014 has the "softest" side switch feel, but is the easiest to find by touch alone, as it is more raised than the other two. Note that only the P12 has a low-voltage and battery read-out LED located under the side switch.

Constant Output Modes: The TN12-2014 has the widest range of outputs, from ~0.2 lumens to >1000 lumens, with five well-spaced levels. The PD35 has five good levels as well, but lacks a true moonlight mode (i.e., from ~11 to ~1000 lumens range). The P12 has a good range from ~0.8 lumens to ~900 lumens, but only four levels (i.e., could use an extra Med-Hi mode).

Blinking modes: Only the P12 has additional modes beyond tactical strobe (i.e., SOS and Beacon). All three lights have the additional mode(s) "hidden" behind a press-hold of the side switch, but only the P12 allows you to memorize the tactical strobe mode (i.e., can return to strobe from Off).

Beam Pattern: The TN12-2014 and PD35 have similar wide spill beams, with the P12 slightly narrower. The P12 and TN12-2014 have roughly equivalent peak center-beam throw, with the PD35 having a bit less. The PD35 also has the widest hotspot, with the smoothest transition (i.e., least defined hotspot edge, and could thus be consider the "floodiest" of the three). Beam quality is pretty good on all of them, although the PD35 probably the most consistently "clean" beam, due to its slightly shallower reflector (i.e., slightly less likely to have beam rings and artifacts).

Circuit Efficiency and Regulation: All three lights are current-controlled, and highly efficient. The PD35 and P12 have more consistently flat regulation at all levels on all batteries – but have defined step-downs from their max levels. The PD35 is probably the most efficient pick, but performance is very close among all three. Note that I do not recommend you run the TN12-2014 on its max level on 2xCR123A/RCR for sustained periods, as there is no step down on this model. Please see the runtime graphs in this review for more info.

Reverse-Polarity Detection: The PD35 and TN12-2014 have electronic reverse-polarity protection, and P12 has a physical one. However, the P12 positive terminal has been re-designed to allow all type of button-top cells to be used (i.e., wide button as well as small – it is just true flat-tops that won't work in the P12).

Package and Accessories: Bundled extras are pretty similar across the three models (and fairly basic for the holsters and wrist lanyards). Note the P12 comes with an additional grip ring. The lights all share a common sized head, so standard beam shaping accessories from any one maker should fit pretty well on the others.

Value: The TN12-2014 has the lowest manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP), the PD35 has the highest, with the P12 is right in the middle. This relative order matches my general "hand feel" experience, but you will have to make your own assessment as to perceived value depending on all the characteristics above. ;)

And there you have it - there is no clear knock-down winner in any category. All three lights are similar overall, with each one specialized in some areas over the others. I recommend you pick based on which constellation of characteristics above matters the most to you. :wave:

P.S.: As an aside, I did a blind "taste preference" of the three models with Mrs Selfbuilt. This was based solely on her physical and visual assessment of the lights and their beams, as we didn't get into circuit testing or price. She was initially drawn to the PD35 for its grippier hand feel, higher perceived build quality, and smoothest beam pattern. However, lack of a true low mode and inability to tailstand (despite reduced tailswitch access) led her to ultimately choose the P12 as the best overall candidate. She was similarly able to accurately rank the lights by estimated price, but felt that the difference between the three models was not as great as the prices would suggest (based solely on a bulid assessment). She felt that a regular person would be amazed by what any of these lights can do, and would be happy with any of them. :wave:

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
The PD35 can't tailstand in its native form, despite the raised lanyard attachment points on the tailcap. These seems like an odd omission, as access to the switch is reduced by the raised side posts (i.e., why reduce access this much, if you aren't going to support tailstanding?).
Ahhh the BURNING QUESTION I want answered and applies to many other Fenix lights. Makes no sense!

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have owned this light for 3 months and it has been brilliant, it does feel and look very well built for a more compact 18650 and i was pleasantly surprised by this.
I knew it was bright but dam its given you some good figures there Mr SB , makes me smile knowing i bought the right light :)

oh and thanks Mrs SB good job :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ahhh the BURNING QUESTION I want answered and applies to many other Fenix lights. Makes no sense!
Yeah, I don't get either. :thinking: The PD35 looks like it should be very stable for tailstanding, if only the button didn't project so much.

I'm sure this could be adjusted by playing around inside the switch assembly (with maybe a little plastic washer). Odd that you have to, though.

oh and thanks Mrs SB good job :thumbsup:
I'll pass that along. :laughing:

youlight

Newly Enlightened
Good job! I must say the PD35 should be the most popular pocket-size flashlight last year and till now.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. As usual excellent work and a thorough cross comparison.

One thing on the non functional raised bits on the fenix tail cap: although these don't allow tail standing they may serve to reduce accidental activation of the light.

I made the choice between these three recently and they all seem like very nice lights. In the end though I really prefer the aesthetics of the PD35 so I went that way. Part of those aesthetics that I liked was this tail cap complete with non functioning tail raised bits, it just spoke to me but I can vouch for at least one sale that Fenix made based on the aesthetic choices they made in this light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
One thing on the non functional raised bits on the fenix tail cap: although these don't allow tail standing they may serve to reduce accidental activation of the light. ....
Part of those aesthetics that I liked was this tail cap complete with non functioning tail raised bits, it just spoke to me but I can vouch for at least one sale that Fenix made based on the aesthetic choices they made in this light.
That's a good point. I guess it's a balance between avoiding accidental activation and not interfering too much with intentional activation. Most makers seem to have used tailstanding as the yardstick for that in-between point, as it adds additional functionality.

That said, I also get the aesthetic appeal. The PD35 tailcap "looks" better to my eye than the more functional P12 tailcap does (i.e., more substantial and stream-lined somehow). It's funny what appeals to us when it comes to design styling.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix's naming convention stinks. Low/Medium/High/Turbo/Boost is more appropriate.
Did you do a sustained 550 lumen mode test? (re-'downshifting' after the timed automatic upshift)
I think that should only require you to push the button three times, and the total runtime should be about two hours. (with your 2200mAH 18650s)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Did you do a sustained 550 lumen mode test? (re-'downshifting' after the timed automatic upshift)
I think that should only require you to push the button three times, and the total runtime should be about two hours. (with your 2200mAH 18650s)
No, I haven't tried a "restarted" Hi mode runtime. Based on other constant-current lights I've tested with those same cells, I would think somewhere between 1.5 to 2 hours would be about what to expect from the PD35. If I get a chance to test it later, I'll give it a try (other lights in my lightbox at the moment).

ilovehaters

Newly Enlightened
Uh oh.....I have that itch for a PD35. After all the reviews I am going to have to get one soon.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
The cool white color is the only thing that stopped me from buying this light. I chose the preceding PD32UE instead, and I have been super happy with it. It's identical except for the color and slight output difference.

markr6

Flashaholic
The cool white color is the only thing that stopped me from buying this light. I chose the preceding PD32UE instead, and I have been super happy with it. It's identical except for the color and slight output difference.

Good decision IMO. PD32UE is a great light. I believe the spot is much bigger than the PD35, giving up some throw but much more useful for me most of the time. I'm tempted to get a PD35 just for a comparison to see for myself.

BronzeLincolns

Newly Enlightened
reading through the output charts am i to understand that using two cr123a's gives you a 170 lumen pump over what is advertised?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
reading through the output charts am i to understand that using two cr123a's gives you a 170 lumen pump over what is advertised?
No, you should just compare my numbers for the two battery types to each other (ie, for relative comparisons). The absolute values are not perfectly validated - they are just consistent from one light (or battery set) to another. So in this context, you can see that 2x sources are slightly brighter than 1x

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently acquired one of the PD35 lights and am very impressed with it. If I had 1 complaint about it it does drain the 123 pretty fast but then again I did test the high level frequently. Great little light that I think would suffice nicely for car journeys.