High CRI LED under cabinet lighting strip \ tape. Warm White, RGBW, or RGBA?

LukeS

Newly Enlightened
I have been doing a lot of digging to find some high CRI options for kitchen under cabinet LED strip lighting. I am looking for a color temperature of around 3000K to match the halogen ambient lighting in the kitchen. Most of the 2700-3200K LED strips are in the 65-80 CRI range and many do not even list a CRI value at all. I have found some Sea Gull brand strips with high CRI numbers but they are ludicrously expensive. In the course of my research I came across this Phillips article which states RGB + amber systems can achieve a CRI of 80-90. Now I assume this is mostly referring to high end DMX stage lighting modules but I did find some RGB+W LED strips that claim 90+ CRI from a reseller named Environmental Lights: RGB+WW (warm white), RGB+DW (daylight white), RGB+Amber (no CRI listed on amber version). From high end systems I have seen it would seem like the RGB + Amber with the right combination of RGB and Amber levels would give the best CRI white light. The RGB+ systems are cool because they allow you to set "moods" when having guests over or just for fun but high quality light is the most important factor for me. Any insight into this? Do you think the CRI values for the warm white and daylight white versions are real?

Thanks for your guys help!!

Last edited:

nanakuli

Newly Enlightened
I have been doing a lot of digging to find some high CRI options for kitchen under cabinet LED strip lighting. I am looking for a color temperature of around 3000K to match the halogen ambient lighting in the kitchen. Most of the 2700-3200K LED strips are in the 65-80 CRI range and many do not even list a CRI value at all. I have found some Sea Gull brand strips with high CRI numbers but they are ludicrously expensive. In the course of my research I came across this Phillips article which states RGB + amber systems can achieve a CRI of 80-90. Now I assume this is mostly referring to high end DMX stage lighting modules but I did find some RGB+W LED strips that claim 90+ CRI from a reseller named Environmental Lights: RGB+WW (warm white), RGB+DW (daylight white), RGB+Amber (no CRI listed on amber version). From high end systems I have seen it would seem like the RGB + Amber with the right combination of RGB and Amber levels would give the best CRI white light. The RGB+ systems are cool because they allow you to set "moods" when having guests over or just for fun but high quality light is the most important factor for me. Any insight into this? Do you think the CRI values for the warm white and daylight white versions are real?

Thanks for your guys help!!

LukeS - you should check this manufacturer of high CRI LEDs out, they have a variety of LED strip lighting options at 90+ and 95+ CRI.