18650 vs Canon 7.4 V safety?

Bright_ Mike

Newly Enlightened
Seemed like 18650's blow up quite a bit. But I rarely ifever heard of a Canon 7.4 V, presumably 2 li ion cells in a piece of plastic, blowing up a camera. And I don't supervise when charging

What is the difference? Can I make 18650's &14500's that safe?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You also have Li-ions in cell phones and laptops. The big difference in safety is that the battery, charger, and device are completely integrated/dedicated so the circuitry can do all the safety checks, device shut-downs, and charge terminations automatically making them near idiot proof. With flashlights, you can mix and match everything and so you must handle all the safety procedures. Then, on top of that, I'm not aware of a consumer device with such high draws and such strong, sealed, airtight containers.

Foursevens makes a fully integrated light, batt, charger - the MMR-X. I think that is as close to consumer idiot proof as they come.

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
They don't "blow up quite a bit", especially not with recognized cells that are treated properly.

n3eg

Newly Enlightened
I've heard of brand X batteries "puffing" or overheating in cameras, but that's because Chinese aftermarket camera batteries are 50-55% of the OEM battery capacity and 40% of their exaggerated rating on the label. I've verified this on the Cadex 7000.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm betting Canon uses two LiFePO4 cells wired in series (3.2v + 3.2v = 7.4v) and LiFePO4 is very safe anyways

edit: totally fubared that math lol. disregard.

Last edited:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Annually, nearly half a billion 18650 cells are build in the world.
How many have you heard of to explode in the news?

Hint: the last time 18650 cells made problems it was BIG news. Everybody would jump on a repeat story.

Stuff shown here in the forum should be taken with a BIG grain of salt. Its the flashlight / electronics equivalent of a "hold by beer" backyard shooting range.