dremel question

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have a cheap 2-AA light that I have cut down to use a single AA cell and a dorcy AAA board.The tail cap section is thicker than the body with a screw in clickie switch.There is enough room to bore out the tailcap section and slide it over the cut down body.With a little luck and epoxy I will be able to retain a threaded clickie switch on a light half the size.I have a Dremel tool but no lathe or mill.Anyone give some advice on the proper Dremel attatchment to use for removing some material from the inside of the larger tailcap?Can this even be done correctly using a Dremel tool?

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
You should be able to do it with a steady hand. I'd probably use one of the long cylindrical grinding stones to do it.

If you don't feel like messing with it, shoot me a PM. I'll throw it on the lathe for you and fix it up, no charge.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chief,

You are a generous man. I've removed stock from aluminum Mag bodies in two ways. First, using a diamond stone and lots of cutting fluid otherwise the stone packs up and stops cutting. Second, high speed steel cutting bits, like a cone or cylinder work quite well.

Wilkey

Robocop

Chief Wiggum thanks for the kind offer as your skills are far better than mine.I may take you up on it however I will try it for myself first.If I mess it up I can always buy another body as the light was only 7 dollars to begin with.I have to say that I was amazed at some of Chief Wiggums mods with the Inova as well as mini mag.Hopefully I can learn from some of these members.I will try some of these suggestions and keep you all posted... thanks again.

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
That's what's so fun I guess: doing it yourself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I wanted to steal your fun, but you found me out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Robocop

It is very fun to me and I am only doing minor mods at this time.I am enjoying learning the tech. stuff and am only using fairly cheap lights now.I am slowly learning my limitations but my imagination runs wild with ideas for various mods.I wish I had the skills and tools as many here but that will come with time.I may need your help as many of my ideas do not work out but you know...it is the thought that counts...hehe.I did not even think about the many uses for a dremel tool and was only dissapointed as I do not own a lathe nor mill.This tool has came in handy for a novice modder but I can not seem to find the proper attatchment for removing material.The sanding pads that came in the kit are not working very well.My friend said to check Wally World as it is the only place open when I get off work.Anyone tell me a certain grit or part # for the proper attatchment to use for grinding metal away?Can I buy the high speed cutting bits here that were mentioned above?Thanks again ChiefWiggum

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

Wylie

Enlightened
If you have a fair amount of material to remove go for the high speed steel cutters for sure. It will take far too long with a grinding stone and the material will get very hot with the grinding whells as well.
Another option in retaining your threads although not as pretty would be pressing your threaded end and head end of your flashlight into a thin walled brass tubing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Just a thought.