Special Grey TK22 Neutral vs. Armytek Predator xp-g2 in neutral (warm)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the title says I'm looking to maybe get one of these lights, but honestly I'm hung up. I have tons of Fenix lights so I know what I'd be getting (and that I'd like it).

The predator xp-g2 looks very nice too though. I don't have any Armytek lights so I was considering getting the warm xp-g2 as it would throw further than the Fenix most likely.

Both are really nice, but I'm wondering if any of you who own one or both of these lights could tell me which you like more and why?

MBentz

Enlightened
I own the exact Predator you're talking about (Pro 2.5 Warm version) and I love it. I have never owned a Fenix light, so I won't comment on them.

Armytek makes the only light I've used that could compare to SureFire in terms of overall build quality. It's the only Chinese made light I feel like I could use as a hammer if need be. They also have a 10 year warranty, which should speak volumes as to how they perceive their lights. As far as I know, the Predator is still the farthest throwing pocketable single 18650 light, and by a decent margin. It is also completely customizable.

Seems like an easy choice to me. :shrug:

wjv

Enlightened
When you consider that the throw rating on flash lights is the point where it is putting 1/4 lux on the target, the realistic (useful) range is more like 60% of the manufactures rating. So if you're looking to get a pocket thrower, get the one with the most range. 270 meter with 18,225 CD Versus 400 meter with 40,000 CD is a HUGE difference. From a realistic perspective, the Fenix will be good out to ~160 meters while the Predator will be good out to ~240 meters.

A few months back I was looking at the TK22 special edition Vs the Predator V2.5 and went with the Predator (regular, not pro). I felt that the TK22 in NW wouldn't give me much more than my old TK15 (333 lumens). Although I am a fan of NW lights, for a thrower I prefer the regular white light as it squeezes another ~10% of range out of the light over a NW light.

Fenix has good build quality. . . ArmyTek has Great build quality.

Although I'm a Fenix fan, I have ZERO regrets that I went with the Predator. Also, reading Selfbuilt's review of the Predator it indicated that the run times were pretty close to what ArmyTek claimed.

If you can afford the difference in price, go with the Armytek! I bought straight from the Armytek web site.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both these lights. First of all: they are completely different animals. TK22 is a good allround light while Predator is a pure thrower. Predator has smaller and much more intense hotspot but also much narrower spill. Predator has a warmer tint than TK22 neutral. TK22 has a smoother beam character than Predator. When it comes to UI I prefer the Predator. The possibility to program the light according to my own desires is awesome. Both are great lights, but Predator wins in my opinion. The same with Viking; wonderful flashlight for more allround use than Predator.

ven

Flashaholic
I dont own either,but i can only advise on what i would do if that is ok,sorry for not being exact question answered:tinfoil:.

I would go armytek,reasons,you dont own one of that brand,variety is a good thing imho and may lead to future armytek purchases.

I have fenix lights but no armytek,if i am split i would go with a different brand,sometime "playing it safe" can make you miss out on other great options(obv can go other way too,but lots of good reports on the armytek so not a risk)

:D

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
270 meter with 18,225 CD Versus 400 meter with 40,000 CD is a HUGE difference. From a realistic perspective, the Fenix will be good out to ~160 meters while the Predator will be good out to ~240 meters.
Fenix official number is a bogus, noone got it in real life. In most reviews lux/1m (cd) number varies from 11000 to 13000 lux/1m which is pretty bad for such big head. It turns out thet their "lossless" reflector is a failure because there are some significant losses, mostly in beam intensity. TK15 easily outthrows TK22 (and Predator easily outthrows TK15).