Help with a helmet light for helicopter operations.

scotsmanspride

Newly Enlightened
Title says it all. I am a medic that needs a light for day/ night operations with NVG's. The shape of my helmet is causing some minor issues. Looked at the surefire hl1-a and his seems like an awesome light but will probably have problems with the mount. Princeton tec switch is an option but have also considered the space on the front of my helmet for a more traditional mount. Most recently looking at the surefire minimus. Only problem is with attachment it would have to be Velcro which would mean removing the padding to the back. Which removed the dual role for flight and secondary use when I hunt. Main thing is the light needs to have either green or blue LEDs or a filter setup. Right now I'm leaning more towards the surefire minimus. Few pics for helmet shape.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just finished ten years on Police helicopter Ops, I am not sure from your post what it is you want to use the light for!

I assume that if you want it to be NVG compatible then you will not be wanting anything too bright. I have read the specs of the SF HL1-A and the Minimus, neither mention that they are NVG compatible.

Have you looked at Liplights, just google Seitz ML8 Lip Mike Lite which is NVG compatible.

scotsmanspride

Newly Enlightened
Yes I want it to be NVG "compliant" however I really don't like the lip light. It works good for general paperwork but that's about it. With our NVG's as long as we can fit a quality green or blue filter it doesn't affect them from what we have tried so far. I also want the option of taking the light from very low output to high output when we have to start working more in depth and our overhead lights don't shine onto the side of a patient where I am working. I used the mic light for several months and just doesn't cut it for what I need.
I went ahead and ordered the minimus to check out how well it will fit to the helmet as well as if the filter works with our NVG's. I do like the range of adjustability for the minimus from videos I have seen so hopefully it does the trick.

BIG45-70

Enlightened
Your NVG's should have a light you can turn on inside the optic. Have you tried fiddling with them to try and find it?

Mine works pretty good out to about 25 meters or so on the darkest nights. Any brighter than that you will wash everyone else out using NVG's.

Last edited:

scotsmanspride

Newly Enlightened
There is not "light" to turn on with our An/avs9 goggles. And I'm not about to "fiddle" with these things in ANY way due to their $13,500 price tag. Not really sure what switch/light you are talking about. I've used the high end goggles for years and never seen any super secret switches... Lol.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may assist others trying to advise you if you told us exactly what you are using the NVG's for and what you want to use the helmet mounted light for.

Last edited:

BIG45-70

Enlightened
My issued NVG's have a toggle for an internal built in light, sorry brother just trying to help.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't know if you pictured the helmet because you are having an issue with mounting the light? Other than velcro, I drilled little holes in my hard-hat and used pop rivets to mount the base-plate of a headlamp to it.