Pack sugestions

botoi

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I need your help in making a purchase decision-

I want to buy two Backpacks, one for daily use and the other for long commutes (similar to the Backpacks issued by the USMC) While I love the way the USMC packs can be piggybacked on top of a bigger pack,I cannot use the ILBE or FILBE systems because of the following reasons.

1. I need to use the smaller bag for everyday use. The ILBE assault pack does not suit my purpose a-

• It is a little too small.
  • It has only one large compartment. The front compartment is fairly useless.
  • It has no Admin pouch.
  • Most of the assault packs on the market are very worn out.
I also cannot buy the FILBE assault pack because of its lack of organization and the fact that it is a little too big and has just one huge compartment.

2. I need the bigger pack to have 2 or so compartments and the closure system needs to be by zippers, not a cinch cord (I hope I spelled it right).

Also, both packs need to be in civilian friendly colours (as in no-camo). Tan or Coyote is not an issue.

So far, I have selected the Rush 24 and the All Hazards Prime (both from 5.11 tactical) for the EDC backpack. For the larger pack, I really like the options provided by the Camelbak Trizip and the Responder 84 ALS (by 5.11 Tactical). Both are zipper based, can be used in civilian environments, are large and supposedly well constructed.

FOr the EDC, I am also VERY tempted by the Condor Venture, Assault and Urban packs.

The problem is, none of the backpacks offer the kind of "piggybacking" that the ILBE or FILBE systems provide. I know that there is the Rush Tier System that may be used, but it was not designed to be used for a Rush 24 or a bag of that size. Instead of having to tie my smaller backpack to the front of the larger one, I want to be able to do so on top, as is the case with the USMC issues. It would really help if both the backpacks are waterproof, since my corner of the world recieves a lot of rainfall!

I will mostly use the smaller pack for college, so I need to have a laptop compartment to fit a 15.6 inch laptop in it (I can even use the hydration pouch, if possible). I will go to law school and the size of the books is enormous, so the bag might have to fit in ATLEAST 2 books (think giant dictionaries). I will also need to fit in a change of clothes and shoes for the gym, this I need a separate compartment for that. A good admin compartment is a must.

For both the packs, having a sunglass pouch and a secret compartment is necessary. I suppose I could buy a separate admin pouch for my gear, and would welcome any suggestions. The admin pouch needs to have 2 key fobs and space to put a cell phone etc. Also, I love the rip off pouches (mesh) that are offered with the AHP.

Thus, I ask for your suggestions-
Which pack should I get for my trips when I have to pack in clothes for about 3-9 days (including shoes and jackets)?
Also, I welcome any suggestions for the smaller pack as well. COnsidering that the packs have MOLLE or PALS, any innovative solutions would be most welcome. It would be INCREDIBLY helpful if the bags are water proof. It does not rain where I live, it pours!

Again, the ability to "piggyback" is of prime importance. Kifaru and other packs of the range are not in my price range.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might take a look at aresarmor.com...I have a couple of their bags and they're great.

What might work for you is their EOD pack and attach a Kifaru admin pouch to the outside.

For a sunglasses case, I use the Tactical Tailor hardcase. Attaches to molle and very protective.

The Ares Armor tactical go bag is a nice, small day bag too. Should be able to attach it to another bag with molle using fastex "repair" buckles which have a notch cut into them to attach to 1" webbing. Kifaru sells those buckles...