Reflector repair?

rocketsurgeon01

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I have a G5 Maelstrom but I've accidentally taken off the chrome on the OP reflector while cleaning it. I'm thinking about shooting some chrome paint into it. Is this a bad idea? Should I just get a new reflector?

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
I learnt this the hard way, even cleaning with a soft microfibre cloth scrathes them, only way to clean is with Id huess a powerfull airline if it is dust, or if grime, then use some water/soap and swirl then airline to blow dry so it dose not leave steaks then let dry DO NOT TOUCH A REFLECTOR!!! EVER!

My D40a has this problem but works fine, wish I could get a spare reflector, I have no idea how people who mod lights manage to not damage reflectors and keep it all clean insde, guess it is practice!

You can use your tong, that wont scrach it but er yhea bit gross (Vihn gave me this tip)

There just so fragile, I guess that is one reason optics are so good!

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea.. even if some dust get on a reflector, I won't even touch it.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
You're probably better off getting a replacement (if possible). No paint will be as good as the original plating which is probably vapor deposited metal. Less reflectance means lower OTF output and more heat build-up. If you can't find a replacement, see if you can find someone who can do vapor deposit or electroplating reflector repair. Use the paint only if there is no other solution; once you use it, you probably won't be able to get it plated.

kevleee1

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I learned my lesson too. Never wipe it directly with anything. Only if it bothers you so much that you can't sleep, blast it with some canned air or use a camera lens dust brush very gently.

Minos2014

Newly Enlightened
I don't think is good . The chrome was being paint on by high temperatuer and steam . you can not paint on shooting it smoothly and equably.

Just find a replacement .

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact 4 Sevens for a replacement.

The coating on the reflector wasn't chrome. It's actually aluminum that's applied by vapor deposition. Paint ... even chrome paint ... won't repair it. Best you could do would be to polish the underlying aluminum (assuming it is an aluminum reflector) with very fine sandpaper and polishing compound. It won't be nearly as reflector as it was originally, but might be better than nothing.

Reflective coatings on flashlight reflectors are VERY delicate. I'd recommend avoiding directly touching it no matter what gets on it. If I get dust on my reflectors I'll use a compressed air canister to blow it off. If that didn't work I might try dribbling alcohol on it. But I'd never rub anything against it.