Duracell Ion Core AA & AAA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the new Ion Core Technology Pre-Charged batteries -
they seem to have replaced the "DuraLoop" Pre-Charged batteries

The packs in stores look like:

The AA Ion Core Pre-Charged is rated at 2400mAh - as others have noted - this is suspiciously like the Eneloop XX AA.
NLee the Engineer a prolific Amazon battery and charger reviewer in his review suggests the same thing.

The AAA Ion Core Pre-Charged is rated at 800mAh - so these cannot be the Eneloop XX AAA -
again as others have suggested, as well as NLee the Engineer in the same Amazon review -
these may be 2nd Generation Eneloop AAA.

I have 6 of the AA and 2 of the AAA Ion Core Pre-Charged.

4 of the AA were bought earlier and are already in service - but I did do an initial out of the pack discharge at 500mA (as close to 0.2C as my Maha/PowerEx C9000 would allow)
Allowing at least 1 hour rest I then charged these up using 1200mA (0.5C) the readings when the charger said "Done" (I do realize this is not the capacity - but a mere indicator)

# - Discharge - Charge
1 - 977mAh - 2358mAh
2 - 992mAh - 2368mAh
3 - 982mAh - 2374mAh
4 - 971mAh - 2259mAh

I acquired 2 more AA and 2 AAA this time I did the initial discharge out of the pack, rest - charged -
then ran a Refresh & Analyze cycle using
AA 1200mA charge and 500mA discharge -
AAA 400mA charge and 200mA discharge

Size - # - Discharge - Charge - Capacity
AA - 5 - 999mAh - 2377mAh - 2425mAh
AA - 6 - 1079mAh - 2429mAh - 2430mAh

AAA - 1 - 519mAh - 668mAh - 794mAh
AAA - 2 - 520mAh - 658mAh - 791mAh

Pics:

both are marked as made in Japan

rounded squarish buttons with crinkled chrome similar to Eneloops.

I think the general consensus is right that the AA are probably Eneloop XX clones
and the AAA are probably 2nd generation Eneloops.

This would make the AA Ion Core Pre-Charged very good value, as they can be found for about $10 per 4 pack.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got two quads sitting, after a Maha C-9000 break in, so we'll see if I can get to a year with at least one of them. One quad is in a locked-out Klarus P2A and a Jetbeam BA-20, the other is sitting in a plastic case, singing the sirens' song.

It's tough ignoring it.

Chris

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Admire your restraint - I couldn't buy batteries just to sit around ....

Here are the individual Amazon reviews by NLee the Engineer

Duracell Ion Core Pre-Charged AA

Duracell Ion Core Pre-Charged AAA

on the latter review of the AAA he has an image comparing the Ion Core AAA and 2nd gen Eneloop AAA
reproduced below:

Note: this is not my image but NLee the Engineer on Amazon
(re-saved and re-hosted)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, while I have a lot of AA/AAA gadgets here, I also have a lot of AA/AAA NiMH batteries and I just can't get through them all in any reasonable amount of time. I did a year long test with Imedions, Eneloop v.2s and GP ReCyKos and I still had a quad of each to fiddle with, among my other batteries.

Hell...I sit out on my patio at night smoking a cigar and running my lights, just so I can have some batteries/cells to charge back up later on.

I think the scientific term is 'saturated.'

So I let a quad sit for a year and post the results here, I'm really not missing anything, I guess is my point?

I've still got two sealed 8 packs of Glitters from 2012 that I don't know what to do with, lol.

Chris

Last edited:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please clarify:

You're saturated with batteries?
Your batteries are saturated?
Your devices are saturated with batteries?
Or your batteries saturate your devices?

:thinking:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please clarify:

You're saturated with batteries?
Your batteries are saturated?
Your devices are saturated with batteries?
Or your batteries saturate your devices?

:thinking:

Innovative thinking.....
staying in the same vein - I would think

all of the above....

including ChrisGarrett saturating his batteries
although that probably doesn't bear
thinking about.... :eek:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW - I got another 4 of these Duracell Ion-Core AA (Made in Japan marked on the battery) -
because they were pretty reasonably priced at just under $9 shipped -
however I just saw they can be as low as just over $7 shipped on eBay....

Using the Maha/PowerEX C9000 (FW: 0H0FA)
out of the pack discharge (@ 500mA) -
charged (@ 1200mA) +2 hour top-up charge - minutes to charge in ()
1 hour rest, Refresh & Analyze (1200mA charge, 500mA discharge)

Results:
# initial charge R&A
7 1029 2446 (134) 2442
8 1020 2621 (144) 2432
9 1028 2529 (139) 2460
10 1010 2634 (145) 2431

The capacity from the Refresh & Analyze look very consistent and similar to the previous AA pair I reported on in the opening post.
The only thing that surprised me was the amount of charge reaching as high as 2634mAh(!)
I thought for a moment that the R&A capacity might be in that region.

Does anyone know how to read the code embossed near the seam on the covering (similar to eneloops)?

1-4 : 30648676A2
5-6 : 30528676A1
7-10: 31398676LL

If it's of any use - back of the pack:

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
May I ask, which is a better battery?
I have some white top duracell 2000 ma "Stay Charged" that come up to 1.425 volts.
And some black tops duracell 2400 ma "Pre-charged" that come up to 1.379 volts.

Currently Toys R Us has both on sale... $9.99 for the Stay charged, and $8.99 for the Pre-charged. It's buy one, get one 40% off, which is what really makes it worth-while.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I ask, which is a better battery?
I have some white top duracell 2000 ma "Stay Charged" that come up to 1.425 volts.
And some black tops duracell 2400 ma "Pre-charged" that come up to 1.379 volts.

Currently Toys R Us has both on sale... $9.99 for the Stay charged, and $8.99 for the Pre-charged. It's buy one, get one 40% off, which is what really makes it worth-while.

First, be sure the black top Duracells are the "Ion Core" as shown in the pics in the opening post.
If not, then get the white top Stay Charged.

However if they are Ion Core then there is a decision of sorts -

If you are likely to use the batteries frequently and expect to have to recharge them within a year -
then the higher capacity Ion Core (which seem to be re-badged Eneloop XX) are a bargain.

If you are more likely to have the batteries sitting around and do not expect to have to recharge for more than a year -
then the Stay Charged may be the way to go -

BUT there may be a slight wrinkle -
see if you can check the white top Stay Charged if they are Made in Japan -
on the pack - and if at all possible on the battery itself (may have to squint through the blister pack to find one that may be oriented the right way) -
If they are not made in Japan - then go for the Ion Core......

The voltages you report - are they just for open circuit - ie: no load -
although it is an indication of sorts - it may or may not be an indication of how the battery behaves under load.

Unless you have devices that are very voltage level sensitive then the voltages may not be that significant.

However if you do have those then try to measure the voltages under-load say about 1 Amp -
use a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor between the terminals and then measure the voltage -
this is the voltage under load at about ~1.2 Amps.

EDIT to ADD
-

I just did a search on toysRus.com
and I see it is the Ion Core that is @ $8.99
and this is the Stay Charged @ $9.99

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least the tests show consistency! I have a few packs of the Ion Core cells going in the mix. I really can't tell the difference between the 2400 mAh "Ion Core" and the 2000 mAh "Stay Charged". I charge them with a Lacrosse BC700. Every single one of my Duraloops (Both older and newer) have been outstanding as far as performance goes. I do not have any Eneloops to compare them too.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least the tests show consistency! I have a few packs of the Ion Core cells going in the mix. I really can't tell the difference between the 2400 mAh "Ion Core" and the 2000 mAh "Stay Charged". I charge them with a Lacrosse BC700. Every single one of my Duraloops (Both older and newer) have been outstanding as far as performance goes. I do not have any Eneloops to compare them too.

This is indeed good to hear -

BUT for a while Duracell sold their Pre-Charged 2000mAh rechargeable batteries that were made in China instead of Japan and with black tops instead of the original white tops -
there was enough difference that people who originally nicknamed the white topped made in Japan - "DuracLoops" -
no longer called the black top (2000mAh Pre-Charged) by that nickname.

From your post - albeit a limited sample - it may seem that Duracell is issuing LSD batteries that are made in Japan - ie: re-badged Eneloops
Certainly currently the Ion Core AA seem to be re-badged Eneloop XX -
which makes them a real bargain.

Poppy

Flashaholic
ThankYou Gentlemen for your quick and thorough responses.

Yes. I presented "no load" voltages.
I just ran out to RadioShack and got the recommended resistor.

With jumper wires, and magnets, I attached the resistor to the positive and negative ends of the batteries and took before and after voltage readings.

And for clarification, the white tops I have were "Made in Japan" I got them when Target was selling them off.

All of my duraloops were made in Japan, even the green tops set that I have around here somewhere.

OK... voltages.
White top "Stay charged" 2000 ma 1.422 no load.... 1.414 with load
Black top Iron Core 2400 ma 1.378 no load.... 1.368 with load

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
And for clarification, the white tops I have were "Made in Japan" I got them when Target was selling them off.

All of my duraloops were made in Japan, even the green tops set that I have around here somewhere.

OK... voltages.
White top "Stay charged" 2000 ma 1.422 no load.... 1.414 with load
Black top Iron Core 2400 ma 1.378 no load.... 1.368 with load

Good stuff Poppy - so quick too -
did you already have your running shoes on to get to Radio Shack and back and to measure those voltages -
I am impressed - this conclusively proves
we only get better with age!

OK the main deciding factors for you would be -
if you use your batteries frequently and are going to expect to recharge them within a year
and think the extra capacity is useful (most people, including me, think so)

Then buy the Ion Core (they are cheaper for more capacity! basically re-badged Eneloop XX)

Only if you are likely to leave the batteries for over a year or more -
or put another way expect to only recharge them after more than a year -
OR if you have devices that are voltage level dependent -
then get Stay Charged.

Now we might just be splitting hairs -

The Eneloop XX has improved since its first gen to hold their charge about as well as the original 1st gen Eneloop -

I am extremely grateful for ChibiM thread - Overview: All eneloop batteries; 2005-2014
where I borrowed his chart (re-hosted)

To me this shows the 2nd gen Eneloop XX and later seems to hold their charge about the same as the 1st gen original standard Eneloops.

I only have original 1st gen Eneloops and I assume DuraLoops and they all have, and still, give sterling service.

So I am extremely pleased with my purchase of these Duracell Ion Core AA
(I am making the assumption that my Duracell Ion Core AAs are re-badged 2nd gen or later Eneloop XX - since my Ion Core packs say 2013).

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is indeed good to hear -

BUT for a while Duracell sold their Pre-Charged 2000mAh rechargeable batteries that were made in China instead of Japan and with black tops instead of the original white tops -
there was enough difference that people who originally nicknamed the white topped made in Japan - "DuracLoops" -
no longer called the black top (2000mAh Pre-Charged) by that nickname.

From your post - albeit a limited sample - it may seem that Duracell is issuing LSD batteries that are made in Japan - ie: re-badged Eneloops
Certainly currently the Ion Core AA seem to be re-badged Eneloop XX -
which makes them a real bargain.

I should have specified that all of my Duraloops are white topped. :D I hand picked them all prior to buying them based on the excellent information garnered from the members of this site. :thumbsup: My Ion Core 2400's are black topped (2013), but they do state made in Japan. ;)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have specified that all of my Duraloops are white topped. :D I hand picked them all prior to buying them based on the excellent information garnered from the members of this site. :thumbsup: My Ion Core 2400's are black topped (2013), but they do state made in Japan. ;)

It was only the 2000mAh Duracell Pre-Charged that had to be white top and made in Japan to be "real" DuraLoops.

As far as I know the Ion Core AA had black tops as does the Eneloop XX (which they are a re-badge of),
and all made in Japan.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Thanks all for the PSA and research -- I've been meaning to try out some Eneloop XX batteries, but couldn't justify the extra cost. This is just the excuse I needed. On my way now to ToysRus for the first time since I was a kid =))

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks all for the PSA and research -- I've been meaning to try out some Eneloop XX batteries, but couldn't justify the extra cost. This is just the excuse I needed. On my way now to ToysRus for the first time since I was a kid =))
LOL... wait... when you are a grandparent... you and Geoffrey will be on a first name basis :)

ronniepudding

Enlightened
LOL... wait... when you are a grandparent... you and Geoffrey will be on a first name basis :)

I've got a four year old daughter, and thus far we've managed to avoid a visit to a big box toy store. :) While I was picking up the batteries last night, I was imagining what her reaction would be... Screams of joy, running through the aisles asking for this and that, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a four year old daughter, and thus far we've managed to avoid a visit to a big box toy store. :) While I was picking up the batteries last night, I was imagining what her reaction would be... Screams of joy, running through the aisles asking for this and that, etc.

... and for any AA battery operated toys -
they'll last a L-O-N-G time with guilt-free power and be ready to use/play with....
better buy an extra pack of the Duracell Ion Core AA......

Remember, it's only the Ion Core AA that are re-badged Eneloop XX
the AAA size are suspected re-badged regular Eneloops.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Toys-R-Us today. They had plenty of batteries, ........EXCEPT for rechargeable AA battery packs. They were all out. The only ones that were all out. Go figure.