"Have no use for a flashlight" says my buddy!

Mopar366

Newly Enlightened
A friend and I were talking about the new lights we had just gotten and another friend of mine said he has no use for carrying a flashlight and that he'd never use it, even just a lil keychain light!! I just started EDC'ing a light about a year ago and I use it almost everyday, in my house, my truck, outside I mean everywhere!! I just thought I would share that with you guys, we both thought he was nuts! I still think if he were to get one he'd use it quite frequently.

ven

Flashaholic
I guess age can play a part,or maybe it did with me,from 16- maybe 30 ish i never edc a light.............mind you only ones were AAA maglites back then and a light match produced more lumens :laughing:

Since then i have always had a small key chain on my truck keys for obv reasons...........handy in the dark.

Last couple of years i have carried on my person,last few months upgraded or bought more lights to choose/rotate my edc because of more awareness to whats out there thanks to CPF.

So each to their own,however your friend will probably change his mind in time,the time where he looses something and needs a light maybe.
EDC lights imho need to be small,small enough that it in a way you dont know you have it so does not make for discomfort or thought about picking it up(remembering it in other words).Its there,in my coat,on my keys,no thought involved,forgetting is not an option as i cant get far without my truck,or my coat when in winter.......

I think guys are nuts who buy new cars,bad investment money wise,especially in UK,however they might want the "piece of mind warranty"

So each to their own,sometimes it takes an experience to change that thought,sometimes a very serious one!!!!

Oh yeh...............he is nuts:D

:laughing:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have friends like that too! They all thought I were the crazy one for carrying a flashlight on me regularly! :O I told them that it come in handy more often than you would think! But they still thought I was nuts... So I proposed to them that If I gave them a keychain light, they would find themselves using it and become to love having a light with them at all times! I told them to put it on their keychain, otherwise they wouldn't have it on them when needing it...And ALL OF THEM came to me a while after telling me how useful the light had been that I gave them!
We just have to be patient and ease the non believers into the light! ;)

ven

Flashaholic
^^^^^^^^^^^^

excellent example,

great way to get a new light for free too :laughing:

Can i be a none believer will send you my address :D:p

i am a little more hardcore,how about dropping them off at a large country park in the pitch black,leave them there.............sure after a few hours they may see the bright side!!!

:laughing:

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Flasaholics twist of Star wars quotes :D

They all work for the non-believers ;)

"Learn the power of the Bright side"
"He's been trained to use the bright side"
"The bright side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."
"
I do not fear the bright side as you do"
"
Learn to use the bright side of the Force"
"
If you only knew the power of the bright Side"
"
Give yourself to the bright Side"
"
Only together can we turn him to the bright Side of the Force."
"
You underestimate the power of the bright Side."

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most can benefit from buying/using a simple led light or torch.I wear something like an EO1 around my neck at night,if i nip to the local Spar at least i can find my path home etc as i live rural.

ven

Flashaholic
I have never worn anything like a light around the neck,i would imagine it would annoy me............i know lots do though,just me.

I tend to have them on my keys and in pockets...............which i guess would annoy others :laughing:

Little DQG light coming,may get away with that size,but that will be going on keys instead of i3s

savumaki

Enlightened
We learn to live without a lot of conveniences in our lives however if we have them we are thankful. I can't imagine going about w/o a light and a pocket knife. Not that I can program their use but am grateful when they are needed.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes i guess peeps who have never had a light dont think they need one,or maybe they would have got one.That one time they fumbled around outside looking for something in the dark has not justified 1000s of $s on lights like some:D

Better to have and not need than to need and not have...................

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've convinced a few different people to carry a small AAA light on their keychains. To be honest I could get away without a light a lot of the time, but those times when it helps I'm really glad I have them. I guess for me it's gone beyond just the utility of having a light though because I just genuinely like using them even when I don't have to use a light.

ven

Flashaholic
I've convinced a few different people to carry a small AAA light on their keychains. To be honest I could get away without a light a lot of the time, but those times when it helps I'm really glad I have them. I guess for me it's gone beyond just the utility of having a light though because I just genuinely like using them even when I don't have to use a light.

Exactly the same to a T ,the misses has her lights and has used them,i also enjoy using them but could get away with not having one,i just enjoy them in many ways.Defo come in useful though,makes you wonder how many accidents they have prevented over the years fumbling in the dark.........

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flasaholics twist of Star wars quotes (..)
I fear neither the bright or the dark side. :laughing:

That said: always dark wouldn't be fun, it isn't always bright either, we go back & forth, and I don't mind 'expanding' the bright side here & there.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had had the hardest time getting my mom to EDC a light...now she rarely is ever without a light.
(I had bought her a Preon 1 in red.)

Ted Roadstar

Newly Enlightened
Been carrying a light of one kind or another for years, lots of years...but I just acquired the Fenix Sickness...UC40UE, PD35UE, E35UE, HP30, ARE C2...it's as bad as watches and knives and firearms and and and...who knew? :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like he has never experienced someone turning out the bathroom lights on him in a restaurant, yet. :devil:
In California, many restaurant lights are on motion sensors or timers (out of reach by the door) and the lights turn off for you (even when you don't want them to.