IS THE SONY VTC4 THE HIGHEST CONTINUOUS DISCHARGE RATED 18650 BATTERY CURRENTLY?

nickdizonc

Newly Enlightened
The Sony VTC4 is rated at 30A. Is this the most powerful around? I've got a pair of Orbtronic SX30s rated at 30A too but thought I'd ask.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wouldn't surprise me if there are some LiFePO4​ cells out there which could out-do that. Not sure though...

Just curious: why? 30A (= 100W+, and continuous, right? :huh: ) from a single 18650 isn't enough?

nickdizonc

Newly Enlightened
Just curious: why? 30A (= 100W+, and continuous, right? :huh: ) from a single 18650 isn't enough?[/QUOTE]

You know us guys always want more power even if we don't really need it:p

torukmakto4

Newly Enlightened
The A123 APR18650 is 1100mAh 30C, so 33A continuous, theoretically. That is probably the highest discharge current rating out there ATM.

However, on a power basis, a 3.7V cell will take the cake. The Sony US18650VTC3 and VTC4 are both rated for 30A continuous but the latter has a capacity increase from 1600mAh to 2150mAh. Also, I have seen for sale some later LG cells that are 2500mAh and match the Sony Konion's current ratings.

Also, higher current ratings are always beneficial, since they correspond to internal resistance. Lower IR cells make more of rated capacity, deliver a higher voltage into the load (less sag) and are stressed less, stay cooler and last longer. Obviously if the load is a few amps and the competing cells are decent quality, there really isn't a major benefit, especially with the usual capacity penalty, but I see that changing in the future as cell vendors put out more high power cells with credible capacities. Samsung also has a INR...24R cell now. 2400/2500 is in the range of a 2C LiCo of a few years ago.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One cell that's a big question mark is the K2 Energy LiFePO4 18650P. They only list the continuous output at '21+A'. This could mean anything from 22A to well over 30. But the noteworthy thing is that pulse current is listed at 70A, which is higher than either the Sony or A123 Systems cells. So it MIGHT (and that's a maybe) have a higher continuous current rating than the A123 or Sony cells.

As far as power output, a 3.7V cell like the Sony will certainly have a higher INITIAL power rating that LiFePO4 cells of the same current capacity. But the advantage of LiFePO4 cells is their ability to maintain a high and steady power output throughout the discharge cycle - even close to a fully discharged state, IFR cells maintain close to full output. But IMR and ICR cells lose voltage and gain internal resistance rather drastically as they discharge.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like there's a Sony VTC5, rated for 30A continuous and 60A burst and min/max capacity of 2600mAh.

http://www.evva-tech.com/en/products01.asp?pid=287&Id1=14

Can't say if that's vaporware, but Evva seems to be heavily into Li-Ions.

I bought a pair of their protected Sanyo 840mAh 14500s when I got my VP2, but at close to 59mm, they're just about too long for most of my AA lights.

Chris

357mag1

Enlightened
Looks like there's a Sony VTC5, rated for 30A continuous and 60A burst and min/max capacity of 2600mAh.

http://www.evva-tech.com/en/products01.asp?pid=287&Id1=14

Can't say if that's vaporware, but Evva seems to be heavily into Li-Ions.

I bought a pair of their protected Sanyo 840mAh 14500s when I got my VP2, but at close to 59mm, they're just about too long for most of my AA lights.

Chris

Not Vaporware, available at Illumination Supply.

black bolt

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the difference on why some of these Sony VTC5 high drain cells have "Sony 31" label on the right under the SE and Tcsa numbers and some don't? I see the one on the IS website image it doesn't have Sony 31 on them but the EVVA website has them on. I trying to figure out what is fake to what is genuine and it seems that this is has been going on since probably the VTC4 series.