Olight R40 Seeker

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep in mind that it uses a non-standard 26650 cell. there is a special second contact ring in the base to allow charging of the cell w/o removal from the light.

I avoid lights with custom cells. Too many early battery failure experiences in other devices. About the only chance this light has is that it uses only one custom 26650 cell. hence the problem of a weak cell in a stack of cells does not exist.

Who has one? The last I noticed, both BJ and GG have them in stock. although so far only BJ has that custom 26650 battery listed for sale. I am sure that GG must have it, just not listed yet.

ven

Flashaholic
Banggood have both,iirc £52 for light and under £10 for cell,as said the cell design puts me off as i have surplus 26650 cells and would have possible bought one for a truck edc.....

Nice light,just for £60 total or $100 it just gets knocked quite far down the list to the probably wont ever buy section unless a bargain of under $50 with code comes along.......

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
keep in mind that it uses a non-standard 26650 cell. there is a special second contact ring in the base to allow charging of the cell w/o removal from the light.

I avoid lights with custom cells. Too many early battery failure experiences in other devices. About the only chance this light has is that it uses only one custom 26650 cell. hence the problem of a weak cell in a stack of cells does not exist.

Who has one? The last I noticed, both BJ and GG have them in stock. although so far only BJ has that custom 26650 battery listed for sale. I am sure that GG must have it, just not listed yet.
You can use regular 26650 in it. Without charging function of course.

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Banggood have both,iirc £52 for light and under £10 for cell,as said the cell design puts me off as i have surplus 26650 cells and would have possible bought one for a truck edc.....

Nice light,just for £60 total or $100 it just gets knocked quite far down the list to the probably wont ever buy section unless a bargain of under $50 with code comes along.......

Thanks for the heads up about Bang good! I was just about to pull the trigger on one off eBay for £70!
:grin2:

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
may i ask what the general feedback on how good the R40 is?

to me, it seems like it is very thoughtfully, intelligently designed. the switch is smart: memory to the last used setting, single click on/off.

the Fenix equivalent has a 0.5 second to 1.0 second pressing requirement. seems very difficult to get "just right".

furthermore, the charging is no fuss: the on/off switch is translucent with battery indicator LED built in, and the micro USB has a ring LED telling charging status.

everything seems smart and intuitive.

no need for another charger! less junk to have around.

remaining thing is: am i missing any "cons" or negative points?

thx in advance!

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
While on this topic hasn't FourSevens got a Torch from its Maelstrom series that is rechargeable but also uses a special type of battery I think it might be a 18650 but for the torch to work fully you have to use their battery.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
Well, I received mine. The UI is very similar to the Baton series. Only difference I notice is no moonlight mode (I knew that before I brought mine) and no instant to HIGH by double click.

I like it, I wanted a high capacity USB rechargeable light and the three light I try to decide on was the R40, UC40UE, and UC50. I wanted a bit more throw than the UC40UE and when I found out the UC50 came only with a 2600 mAh capacity, I ended up picking the R40.

Maybe I will pickup the UC40UE as well for both flood and throw. I just can't seem to have enough flashlight...

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, what indication is there when charging/charging is complete? (mine is in the post and I'm curious)

Thanks!

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
Hi, what indication is there when charging/charging is complete? (mine is in the post and I'm curious)

Thanks!

@Lord Muzzy: the ring LED around the micro USB charging port at the tail cap turns from red to green. quite intuitive, just like the on/off switch's LED (showing through the translucent switch cover), which, according to the instruction sheet (i haven't experienced it yet) -

"Low battery warning: there is a red LED under the switch, it will blink by twice (sic) every 3 seconds when the battery voltage drop (sic) down to lower level."

Also very intuitive. Smart design folks at Olight!

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
@Lord Muzzy: the ring LED around the micro USB charging port at the tail cap turns from red to green. quite intuitive, just like the on/off switch's LED (showing through the translucent switch cover), which, according to the instruction sheet (i haven't experienced it yet) -

"Low battery warning: there is a red LED under the switch, it will blink by twice (sic) every 3 seconds when the battery voltage drop (sic) down to lower level."

Also very intuitive. Smart design folks at Olight!

Thanks @DualMonitors: I know this light is pretty new but can't find much info or any reviews.

What is your overall impression?

DualMonitors

Newly Enlightened
@Lord Muzzy: i haven't had a chance to use it much as i live in a big city, so shining it at night while walking my dog, one needs to be very careful as to not let the beam go into another person's apartment window, lest they think someone is making an effort to do that on purpose. this is a very powerful light so it is easy to shine the beam many many feet in the distance.

it seems very well made. my favorite part of it is that there is no additional charger. the flashlight itself is the charger as one merely needs to connect the micro USB to the included wall transformer. simple. it also gives the impression that it is not as dangerous as some of those other chargers, where they tell you if you don't watch them while they are charging, they run the risk of fires! yikes.

of course, my impression might be incorrect. i have no idea if this included battery is more or less dangerous than any of the other types of batteries out there. this is however a custom size, with an extra "ring" of contacts, so i don't really understand if this makes it more dangerous, or less. this is above my pay grade.

anyone else might be able to educate me on this?

the build quality is high. i also like the easy click on and click off, no complicated series of clicks and no need for 2 hands to twist the cap to turn on, or anything like that.

did you buy one yet?

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
@Lord Muzzy: i haven't had a chance to use it much as i live in a big city, so shining it at night while walking my dog, one needs to be very careful as to not let the beam go into another person's apartment window, lest they think someone is making an effort to do that on purpose. this is a very powerful light so it is easy to shine the beam many many feet in the distance.

it seems very well made. my favorite part of it is that there is no additional charger. the flashlight itself is the charger as one merely needs to connect the micro USB to the included wall transformer. simple. it also gives the impression that it is not as dangerous as some of those other chargers, where they tell you if you don't watch them while they are charging, they run the risk of fires! yikes.

of course, my impression might be incorrect. i have no idea if this included battery is more or less dangerous than any of the other types of batteries out there. this is however a custom size, with an extra "ring" of contacts, so i don't really understand if this makes it more dangerous, or less. this is above my pay grade.

anyone else might be able to educate me on this?

the build quality is high. i also like the easy click on and click off, no complicated series of clicks and no need for 2 hands to twist the cap to turn on, or anything like that.

did you buy one yet?

Thanks again @dualmonitors Yes I have one in the post, I too like the idea of the USB charger, being able to charge from the cars cigarette lighter is a real plus point. I just wanted some real world usage info as there is not much on this subject, beamshots ect.. I will have to post some when mine arrives... Not soon enough! :grin2:

Blue Sky

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for starting this thread. Can someone please measure the flashlight width? I'd like to know if the width is a standard size to fit a Picatinny mount.

Thanks!

Blue Sky

Newly Enlightened
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJNR2H4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

It looks like Amazon has the best price at $115 and free shipping. While we are waiting on the width size, is this the best price here in the US for the R40 Seeker?

This seems like a great light for all around use and especially EDC.

I think this light will make a great gift.
Thanks!