Surefire 6Z value

jaka27

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, long time lurker but first time posting... I am a bit of a Surefire fanboy, I have several of their products (incans, LEDs, weaponlights etc.).

Some time ago I found at my local copshop an old 6Z combat light and got a great deal on it. My first thought was to make it my EDC/duty light and drop in a LED. As I looked into it, it occurred to me that this light might already have some collectors value...

13131373.jpg

It was still LNIB, original non-dated batteries and the instruction sheet was dated 95. Even the rubber on the button had some white residue which I thought was from the mold release(?).

13131374.jpg

Anyway, if any of you could shed some light(!) into what comes to the value of (or lack of) it? Then I could decide to go ahead and carry the snot out of it, or keep it as a safe queen...

Thanks

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello, :welcome:
You may get a number of more detailed answers, so just a quick note here.
That is definitely a collector light, NIB, papers, everything. I most definitely wouldn't carry it.
Best of luck,

BTW I'd bet that the white residue is plasticizer which has diffused out of the 'rubber'.
Nothing to worry about either way, but I woudn't bother with any cleaning before locking it away in my safe. ;)

Edit: OP, if this thread topic becomes a 'collector' thread, I would be happy to move it to the Flashlight Collecting subforum upon your request.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, it's collectible .... Discussion of specific value is discouraged here, but a simple search should give you a reasonable idea of typical price range ;)

Nice find !

If you decide to keep it, a Malkoff dropin will easily (& reversibly) upgrade it to LED.

Last edited:

Darien

Newly Enlightened
Nice! I always wanted to own a "Z", but never pulled the trigger! I second "Archimedes" suggestion, Malkoff dropin.

jaka27

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the replys! It just occurred to me that I bought my first Surefire from the same dealer... must have been around mid '90s. Had to dig it up and snap some photos.

13151904.jpg

13151903.jpg

It has been through several bulbs and several sets of 123s... during the era when the Mag Charger was the king it impressed a lot of colleagues with the light output. The incan was replaced with a P60L when it came available. I still carried it for years even though around '00 I started in a new agency which issued me with a E1E. I preferred a "full size light" and carried the executive as a backup.

It was finally retired a few years ago when I received a G2X pro from a Surefire rep.

Its funny how you can recap a career with flashlights :D

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Very nice retro piece, particularly the older variation of the tailcap with a smooth rather than the more common textured 'momentary' button. :thumbsup: