Surefire G2 Problem - Light Turns On When Bumped

blacksmith

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem with all of my G2s that I hope you all can help me with. Thanks in advance.

When I push sideways on the tailcap the light will momentarily turn on. This is very annoying as they do it when stashed in a pack, while running, etc.

I believe this is a very common problem. I think that the old O-rings under the tailcap may be the problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello blacksmith,
I know your concern exactly as it is something I have experienced with G2's as well.
The G2 tailcap has too much side-to-side wobble on the body. Fortunately there is a very good solution.
Adding a second o-ring to what appears to be a second o-ring groove at the tail end of the body will add much stability to the tailcap, as there will now be two slightly-separated bearing surfaces.
I have done this to all G2's I've enountered and it is a significant improvement.

Please be aware that the newer G3's don't have a full 'second groove' and it's possible that this might happen with newer G2's as well.
If you have an older G2 you should be fine.

Please post back if this works out for you.
Best regards,

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup, a 2nd O-ring is what helps.

I bought a packet of assorted size plumbing O-rings from the plumbing section at Wal-Mart. Tried a few until I found one that was a perfect fit.

blacksmith

Newly Enlightened
Big Thanks Men. The double O-ring has done the trick. Glad there is a simple fix to this annoying and common problem.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to try 3 or 4 (bad case of CRS) G2 tail caps to fix a battery draining issue without the light ever illuminating.