Malaysian Ghost Plane

nbp

Flashaholic
(Can't believe we don't have a thread yet.)

First of all, my condolences to the families and friends of those missing. The waiting must be agonizing. :candle:

11 days missing and still no good answers.

Where is it?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
There's a thread about it downstairs, but there's no reason to not have one here. As I pointed out there, it's not an act of a terrorist organization because no one's claimed credit and they wouldn't have had the expertise to get the plane so far without being noticed. So it's someone/people who know more about the plane than terrorism, which greatly reduces their motive for doing anything with the passengers.

My guess is it was crew members who had arranged to defect, who landed the plane in some remote area (the 777 only needs 3000 feet of level runway, less if you don't plan on flying it again,) and had transportation waiting; "The truck is ours, the plane is yours, good luck.."

ledconfused

Newly Enlightened
So you think the passengers are still alive somewhere or not?

I think it ran out of fuel and crashed.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
There's a thread about it downstairs, but there's no reason to not have one here. As I pointed out there, it's not an act of a terrorist organization because no one's claimed credit and they wouldn't have had the expertise to get the plane so far without being noticed. So it's someone/people who know more about the plane than terrorism, which greatly reduces their motive for doing anything with the passengers.

My guess is it was crew members who had arranged to defect, who landed the plane in some remote area (the 777 only needs 3000 feet of level runway, less if you don't plan on flying it again,) and had transportation waiting; "The truck is ours, the plane is yours, good luck.."

This would *seem* to be the most "logical" conclusion to me too (if any of it can be considered logical). There were several steps taken to disable communication and tracking, so a sudden catastrophe leading to a crash does not appear reasonable. After this long, any terrorist organization would have likely have taken credit for the crash or delivered a ransom note of some kind if the passengers were still alive. Crew hijacking seems the most sensible explanation given the meager evidence. Even then, what is the motive? That I cannot figure out.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I think it went down in the middle of the ocean, because just think: if they got close enough to the land somewhere to get a cell signal someone on the plane would have texted someone. And if there were two terrorist they couldnt watch everyone all the time. And if they did take everybodys phone away from them there are many travelers (me too) that have two phones. Somebody would have got a message out if they ever got close to cell signal.

callmaster

Enlightened
Defection? They could have just gone to whichever country they wanted and defected accordingly. There was no need to steal a plane. This isn't North Korea, lol.

ledconfused

Newly Enlightened
I think it went down in the middle of the ocean, because just think: if they got close enough to the land somewhere to get a cell signal someone on the plane would have texted someone. And if there were two terrorist they couldnt watch everyone all the time. And if they did take everybodys phone away from them there are many travelers (me too) that have two phones. Somebody would have got a message out if they ever got close to cell signal.

I've thought about that also. That would be a lot of phones to confiscate. Surely someone would still have one. Or is it possible they have a signal jammer or something similar preventing the cell phones from picking up?

RIX TUX

Enlightened
could be^but there are many types with different frequencies - I know nothing about jammers, but if you send an emai and it doesn't go through I think it does resend it when you find a signal???.........

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't think phones work especially well at cruising altitudes. It wouldn't really shock me if no one could get a call out. And if they didn't know something was going on (such as if it was not an obvious hijacking or catastrophic mechanical failure) they wouldn't have thought to call anyone anyways.

What about the Thai radar evidence they released today that indicates that after losing communication, they believe the plane took a sharp left turn back over Malaysia and toward the Indian Ocean? I think sudden mechanical failure is basically out of the running at this point. Someone took over the plane... but WHO? And WHY?

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best theory I've read is that there was a fire in the cockpit, which explains why they shut down all the systems, and the pilot turned toward a nearby airport.

This article explains it better than I can:
http://www.businessinsider.com/malaysia-plane-fire-2014-3

As a pilot myself, this article makes the most sense compared to all the crazy theories that have been circling all media outlets

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a pilot myself, this article makes the most sense compared to all the crazy theories that have been circling all media outlets

My understanding is the plane turned before the co-pilot radioed "good night" as they left Malaysian air space. I don't see how the events in this article can be consistent with the crew battling a tire fire.

A Boeing 777 filled with explosives could do some damage and I find it interesting that Israel is now preparing for a possible attack by the missing airliner. I also find it very odd that there were no military ships in the area that could track an aircraft of that size. It just seems that you could pull the radar logs for the date from any number of ships and see what happened to the aircraft.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
After listening to various theories on many radio and tv stations the one which is very plausible is the plane is landed on the ground hidden for an attack on the Petronas twin towers at a later date.

Part of quote

Is it possible that MH370 was a 9/11-type plot, in which the target was the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur? Until recently, they were the tallest buildings in the world. And even now, they remain a spectacular centerpiece to Kuala Lumpur's skyline. You can see why terrorists would find them a tantalizing target.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malaysia has been a moderate and neutral country. For most times minding their own business.
I do not see a reason anyone wanting to hit Malaysian soil. Plus it is an Islamic country.