Modify LED dimmer

Wilkoselectric

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I have a LED related question. I'm a lamp designer in Montreal, Canada and I mostly do incandescent lighting, but I've been doing research in led lighting for a while.
The question I have might be very technical,but maybe someone would know the answer.

I've seen touch dimmers that you would attach between the power supply and the led, and you can turn on/off and dim the led simply by touching it, not actual click or anything.
Now, can you modify one of those and replace the touch panel with a larger piece of brass or copper?

I've looked everywhere but couldn't find an answer, and was hopping that one of you might be able to help

Thanks!!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you are talking about a line-powered bulb:

I have an incandescent lamp that I modified to a touch dimming control. I bought a little module at Home Depot that I wired into the lamp. It has one wire that attaches to whatever metal surface that you want to be touch sensitive. That turns it into a touch-dimming lamp. It has three levels, plus off. It should work with any dimmable LED bulb. Be careful, because not all LED bulbs are dimmable using standard dimmers.

The same thing could be done for a low-voltage DC supply, but I've never seen one. Of course, I've never looked.