CPF flashlight cave tour at Carter Caves state park in KY

Going, maybe going, not going

• Total voters

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey guys got to thinking about organizing a summer get together at Carter Caves state park. They have two different tours of the caves that are flashlight tours so I thought it would be perfect for us. Get to see other people that share our hobby and play with our lights in caves. I saw the VA/NC get together thread and that Skillet and Kyhunter1 are both in KY, as well as myself so I thought maybe we would have more people as well. For a date I was thinking maybe June or July, it stays about 58 degrees in the caves so it would a perfect time to be underground. The park has a campground and lodge for anyone wanting to stay the weekend. Here are links to the cave tours and the park website:

Tours:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._YGoCA&usg=AFQjCNE4aNCTz1qmSmGRDse2AdsoF3fNtg

Park site:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LkSrwN9qjwSkua2yL290p3g&bvm=bv.62922401,d.b2I

Lets spread the word and see if we can't get quite a bit of interest. The tour list says they provide flashlights for the flashlight tour but I would say that is just a heads up for people that don't have a light so they don't have to worry about finding one.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea and you can hopefully count me in. :twothumbs

Until reading your post I had never heard of Carter Caves before but I'm glad they offer flashlight tours.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried to spread the word around a little bit. That location would also be be fairly convenient for members in Ohio and West Virginia as well.

I'm 4 hours away here in Western Kentucky but Columbus, OH and Cincinnati, OH are only 2-2.5 hours away and I know there must be some CPF members up there as well.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im definitely interested in the get together since it's so close. Im about 3.5 hours away. Glock22 is also in KY, we live about 20 miles apart. Ill give him a call as he don't post on here much anymore.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for spreading the word and I would say there are more members within a 4hr drive as well. I would like to see at least 10 of us if we can get that many

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wedlpine I'm thinking of the end of June or middle of July. I don't want to do it around the 4th of July because people have plans and I have camping reservations at Lake Barkley already. The first of June is already booked for me as well. What's the idea of the group?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm from southeastern WI and I would be interested in this get together depending on when it's going to be.

That just might earn you the long-distance award :grin2:

For those who are not familiar with the area, I used Google Maps to do a little distance checking from various locations:

Ashland, KY - 36 miles - 44 minutes
Lexington, KY - 91 miles - 1 hour 28 minutes
Cincinnati, OH - 116 miles - 2 hours 17 minutes
Columbus, OH - 131 miles - 2 hours 41 minutes
Somerset, KY - 144 miles - 2 hours 22 minutes
Louisville, KY - 162 miles - 2 hours 27 minutes
Indianapolis, IN - 229 miles - 4 hours
Knoxville, TN - 237 miles - 3 hours 36 minutes
Bowling Green, KY - 242 miles - 3 hours 40 minutes
Morgantown, WV - 248 miles - 3 hours 42 minutes
Owensboro, KY - 269 miles - 4 hours
Cleveland, OH - 273 miles - 4 hours 46 minutes
Evansville, IN - 280 miles - 4 hours 13 minutes
Nashville, TN - 303 miles - 4 hours 30 minutes
Pittsburgh, PA - 319 miles - 4 hours 48 minutes
Paducah, KY - 345 miles - 5 hours 5 minutes
Charlotte, NC - 357 miles - 5 hours 23 minutes
Richmond, VA - 409 miles - 6 hours 5 minutes

You can check your own travel distance here. I will be coming from near Bowling Green, KY and can pick up anyone who lives along the way.

Wedlpine I'm thinking of the end of June or middle of July. I don't want to do it around the 4th of July because people have plans and I have camping reservations at Lake Barkley already. The first of June is already booked for me as well. What's the idea of the group?

As of right now, every weekend looks about the same for me.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for that 880am, very helpful info. I will be coming from just north of Lexington, Cynthiana to be exact. So would July be better for you as well?

Glock 22

Enlightened
I have came out of retirement because this thread is awesome, Flashaholics getting together in my backyard. I'm sure more KY member will catch onto this thread.

wedlpine

Enlightened
Lake Geneva, WI - 504 miles - 8 hours 20 minutes

How hot does it get in July for camping. I would prefer the earlier, the better. But July will work as well, if it's not too hot.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
On average 80-100 degrees Fahrenheit depending on what mother nature does. Not sure if you are familar with Kentucky weather weldpine but we never have a normal and it changes minute by minute, if summer is as unpredictable as winter has been thanit could be really strange in July.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lake Geneva, WI - 504 miles - 8 hours 20 minutes

How hot does it get in July for camping. I would prefer the earlier, the better. But July will work as well, if it's not too hot.

Tac Gunner is right. One thing about Kentucky weather, if you don't like it, just wait a little while and it will change. The good news is that it's usually not too humid in mid-July and the nights are still fairly comfortable.

For my part, if I can get a room, I plan to "camp" in the lodge. I don't even own any camping gear.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
[h=1]576 mi

8 h 48 min[/h]
hmmm, might be a tad far for me....but it sounds like a blast!

Latest posts