Cool Fall Spy Original Tri-V vs. Tri-V2

gktii

Enlightened
hey everyone. Quick question regarding the original Tri-V. I am looking into picking one of these up, but am unsure of the true differences between the Tri-V and the Tri-V2. I've read that they changed the emitters, and there's a new function with blending lights simultaneously...But other than that, it doesn't appear much has changed. What are your thoughts on the original light? I have the opportunity to get one at a really decent price (significantly less than a new Tri-V2), but wanted to make sure there wasn't something i should be waiting to purchase the Tri-V2 for...Thanks for all your help...:stupid:

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe big difference is the flood light and the lock out function. There are still some difference's but to me those are the biggest. I have both and as far as usefulness they are the same. Great Light, Best light in my opinion and I don't leave home without one. If you haven't had one before, you'll get addicted to the light and the clicking of the switch.

gktii

Enlightened
THe big difference is the flood light and the lock out function. There are still some difference's but to me those are the biggest. I have both and as far as usefulness they are the same. Great Light, Best light in my opinion and I don't leave home without one. If you haven't had one before, you'll get addicted to the light and the clicking of the switch.

cool…thank you! and what exactly is the lockout? (and I'm guessing the original does not have any type of lockout?) and are they both set for flood and spot? or is the v2 only with flood?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lockout on V1 is , toggle between levels 0-1-0-1-0-1 ( three on/off cycles),
On the V2, quickly rotate to 6, then back to 0.
I had the V1 and sadly sold it, now have 2 V2's. I to rarely leave home without one in my pocket.

What the lockout does, is prevents the light from turning on accidentally. You unlock it in the same manner to activate the light.
V2 you can lock/unlock in under a second.

gktii

Enlightened
The lockout on V1 is , toggle between levels 0-1-0-1-0-1 ( three on/off cycles),
On the V2, quickly rotate to 6, then back to 0.
I had the V1 and sadly sold it, now have 2 V2's. I to rarely leave home without one in my pocket.

What the lockout does, is prevents the light from turning on accidentally. You unlock it in the same manner to activate the light.
V2 you can lock/unlock in under a second.

ok thank you! which do you prefer? the v1 or v2?

wyldthng

Newly Enlightened
I have both as well. I always have one of them on me and I actually rarely use the lockout. I have never had it come on accidentally. Of the two, I am partial to V1. I think it's because it was my first and we have had lots of adventures together!

gktii

Enlightened
I have both as well. I always have one of them on me and I actually rarely use the lockout. I have never had it come on accidentally. Of the two, I am partial to V1. I think it's because it was my first and we have had lots of adventures together!

you never forget your first love… thanks so much for the feedback everyone. looks like i'll be making this purchase…thanks again! :thumbsup:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
wyldthing has my original V1.
Yes that flood is amazing. At our cabin, it would illuminate the whole back yard very nicely with a perfect "cabin tint".
I've asked to buy it back from him, but I doubt he will let it go.
However, I use the V2 flood in restaurants to read the menus. Not too obtrusive for other customers yet I can see. Surprising how many people ask to borrow it for the same reason. There is always that "one person" who tries to turn it off, but instead ramps it up, then it becomes a beacon in a dark restaurant.

archimedes

Flashaholic
However, I use the V2 flood in restaurants to read the menus. Not too obtrusive for other customers yet I can see. Surprising how many people ask to borrow it for the same reason. There is always that "one person" who tries to turn it off, but instead ramps it up, then it becomes a beacon in a dark restaurant.

LOL!! that's hilarious...

Anybody ever say " that's a neat little light, what's it cost ? " ... :eek: :devil:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody ever say " that's a neat little light, what's it cost ? " ... :eek: :devil:

Yes. Only once did I tell the person the approximate price. One guy was COOL, and played with it, the other was afraid to touch it.

I am also a watch enthusiast, and have gone to a few GTG. I took a SPY007 with me once to charge the Lume on the watches. Of course others wanted to borrow it. Being non-flashaholics, many people either looked at the light & turned in on, or ramped it to high, shone it on the dial & were equally as blinded from the reflection.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....Only once did I tell the person the approximate price. One guy was COOL, and played with it, the other was afraid to touch it.

I am also a watch enthusiast....

I never disclose the price to any custom light as I know no one will understand. Don't wanna hear their comments. :D

That can also happen with watches, too ... :ironic:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fellows I was talking are 2 guys who install custom auto & home audio/theatre systems, so they are no strangers to outrageous prices for luxury items.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to steal the thread, but YES, a CPF Panerai GTG would be cool.
Plan for a 2 hour period where I can treat you to a FLOAT at one of our Sensory Deprivation Centers.
www.floathouse.ca ( free plug)