Travel sized multi chemistry charger

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I am an airline pilot that does a lot of international travel. I spend 20 days of the month living out of my suitcase. So space is in my baggage is minimal. I am looking for a charger that can charge AA, AAA NiMh and 14500, 16340, 18650 Li Ion batteries. USB power is preferred, but a standard AC cord is acceptable so long as it does not have that "brick" on it. It also must be compact.

At present I am using two chargers. A Sanyo USB charger for the NiMh batteries and an Xtar MP1S USB charger for the Li Ion batteries. The combo works ok and is more compact than the Nitecore i2 that I also have. But I cannot help but wonder if there is a better way.

The Xtar XP1 hummingbird appeals to me. If it would charge 18650s I would have pulled the trigger already. I still may get one.

So tell me folks, is there a better way, or am I doing about about as good as present technology allows.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was guessing NC i2 v2 as I was scrolling down, but also thinking about the Sanyo USB and Xtar chargers, because of their small footprint. I travel with a LC BC-700 and/or Xtar WP2 II charger, for my NiMH/Li-Ion needs and those together take up more room than a NC i2.

Right now, I think that you've got it correct and you're using good quality chargers and not some cheap 'all-in-wonder' junker.

Chris

HKJ

Flashaholic
What about replacing the MP1 with a Xtar MC1 (Review in a few weeks), it can fit 16340 to 26650, but it only has one current (0.5A). It is a very compact charger.
It is difficult to find good chargers that does both NiMH and LiIon.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
All-in-ones are nearly always going to be a compromise in performance. I use the cottonpicker Li-Ion charger and a Sanyo Eneloop USB charger for travel. Actually, I carry them with me every day. I think the combo is about as good as you'll find, considering performance and ease of carry.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
So which model of the cottonpicker charger are you using? The least expensive version does not include the voltage meter. Which I really don't need since only my BC700, which I don't travel with, has a voltage indication. All the other chargers use some kind of LED indicator, which works just fine.

Also..FWIW.. I went ahead and ordered a Xtar XP1 just to see if it could be useful in my travels.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Schiz... I wish you had posted this before I pulled the trigger on the XP1, I may had gone with the soshine. Anyway I think I am going to stick with the XP1 for now and see how it suits me. I am also seriously considering one of cottonpickers chargers. I am leaning towards one of the 17$ models.

I guess what I really need to do is settle on which flashlight I intend to keep in my flight bag, then I can settle on a charger. I keep bouncing between a Nitecore SRT3, EA2, and a SRT7.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my ultra portable travel rig which covers everything requested plus 12V, solar, and smartphone charging from 2xEneloops.

13199922915_340eeb7005_z.jpg

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can handle traveling without your 18650 cells I would recommend the Xtar XP1. It is super small. Works off a micro USB. Supports AAA ana AA NiMH and 10440, 10450, 16340 and 18350 lithiums.

aberson

Newly Enlightened
Bicycleflyer;4403360The Xtar XP1 hummingbird appeals to me. If it would charge 18650s I would have pulled the trigger already.[/QUOTE said:
I originally wrote a post here suggesting you could make an adapter to wire the 18650 to the XP1, but then I realized the temperature sense wouldn't work... so I'm retracting my idea :)

An ML102 for $6 might be a cheap and small way to add portable 18650 capability, retaining the XP1 for nimh and smaller stuff.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use the nitecore i2 when traveling when i have to carry multiple chemistries. is it possible to streamline and use only li-ions? then you can get away with a 500ma usb charger like cotton pickers / edc+