Someone at RayOvac has a sense of humor

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone at Ray-O-Vac has a sense of humor and I LIKE it.

Presenting the "VN2D-B" which seems to be some sort of commemorative 100'th anniversary light.
RayOVac_zps8a84535c.jpg

Even the batteries got the "classic" treatment.

The whole thing feels EXACTLY like the old stamped-and-folded sheetmetal "Sportsman" series from the late 1950/60's which means you get, a "3 mode" switch (off, momentary button, on) that requires fussing and jiggling to get just the right contact, a sharp edge on the inside barrel that you could shave with, and a tailcap that is so tight as a result of the plating that you fear you are going to crush the light as you grip it tightly trying to unscrew the cap.

Get that tailcap off, dump the batteries in, (grease the threads) and put it back together and you you have a 30-ish lumen light, blue in tint with a surprisingly even beam, a nice hotspot and good spill. Except for the blue color, it "feels" like one of the old incandescent lights with brand new batteries in terms of illumination. Nothing too fancy, it's not waterproof, not even splashproof. No seals, no aircraft grade anything.

and yet

it's FUN!

Okay, pure nostalgia on my part but it takes me right back to backyard camping in an ancient canvas army pup tent, frying breakfast on an iron skillet that probably weighed 20lb all by itself, sunburns, chasing imaginary villains through the woods, you know, childhood.

and it's perfectly serviceable as an in the house light.

================3/31/2014 UPDATE======================

Some shots of the disassembled head.

The head disassembled
Ray-o-vac-0003_zps071cedbc.jpg

A view of the emitter still in the reflector
Ray-o-vac-0004_zps9abdd83b.jpg

Side view
Ray-o-vac-0005_zps7a5ec99d.jpg

Gently pried apart

Front view (I have NO idea what this emitter is)
Ray-o-vac-0006_zpseb19ff94.jpg

Rear view (I guess you could consider that a "heat sink"
Ray-o-vac-0007_zpsb20373b6.jpg

Last edited:

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
Wally World......$ 4.97....picked it up last week. I read somewhere battery logo was circa 1947. A nice little novelty item to put on your shelf....maybe next to your tk76.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Five bucks ........so, if it ever migrates north of the border I'll be able to grab it in Toronto for about ten, maybe closer to fifteen.
Think I'll wait for Vinh's version!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
At some point I hope to have the time and motivation to disassemble it and provide more photos and details but for now I simply wanted to get it posted before I forgot and it got lost in my "to do" pile.

It sure was fun to play with last night, I even used it to walk the dog.

Now I'm considering buying a second one to leave in the package.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool. Love stuff like this. Is it using a PR base led bulb? If so, it could be upgraded easily to one of a little better quality (brighter, less blue). Seems to be crying out for a warm, not neutral, tinted one.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Very cool. Love stuff like this. Is it using a PR base led bulb? If so, it could be upgraded easily to one of a little better quality (brighter, less blue). Seems to be crying out for a warm, not neutral, tinted one.
If it is using a PR base bulb you could just buy the bulb from walmart and put it in an existing light. The only problem is that many PR base bulbs don't quite line up right in incan lights so they don't focus well at all. I've seen two types of PR base dropins in lights one has a large 10mm LED in it (Rayovac, Dorcy?)the other a 5mm LED (Energizer). You can get a cheap Rayovac 2AA LED light for $1.50 at walmart with a 10mm LED dropin in it.

Torpedo

Newly Enlightened
It sure was fun to play with last night, I even used it to walk the dog.

Now I'm considering buying a second one to leave in the package.[/QUOTE]

This is a fun light, especially for those of us that had these types of lights when we were kids. I wish they would make a better quality(thicker walls, better led) reproduction of these lights and some of their other old lights. I will get some more of these to give out to some "old timers".

Etsu

Enlightened
They should have used a warm white LED to give it more of an authentic tint.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, it appears to be a self-contained module of some sort. When I get a chance I'll pull it apart and see what it really has in there.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! Thanks for the heads up. WIsh manufacturers made more models like this, single mode in the general use output range, in several different battery configurations.

I'm getting one of these just to solve mysteries with.