Latest Surefire M6 option?

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been away for quite some time and the time has come for me to get back into the flashlight hobby again. Looking at my moderate collection of lights I acquired nearly 8-10 years ago, I am interested in "updating" my M6. Either by upgrading the battery options, or installing the latest and greatest LED module, or combination of the two.

Without doing any searching so far, maybe some of you "new" guys, or old timer's, can steer me in the right direction as to what is out there currently. Long, long, ago, I was a victim of the infamous Andrew Wynn Rouse scandal and I never pursued anything after that, as far as making my M6 more usable. Any help would be appreciated.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
My first suggestion would be to get a FM extended tail cap with a 26650 battery adapter. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?266142-M6-Deep-Tail-Cap-2x26500

That takes you into lithium ion batteries like the 26500 or 18500 series right off the bat. Then research KT-4 drop in's like the Malkoff MD60, Shrike, Nailbender or my versions. LED drop in's taking Lumens to another level for the same power of incandescents.

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
Can you link or PM with the 26650 battery adapter, as well as the Shrike and your tower module?

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Can you link or PM with the 26650 battery adapter, as well as the Shrike and your tower module?

The tailcap extender thread of FM has the battery adapters too. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?266142-M6-Deep-Tail-Cap-2x26500 Shirike has a WTS ad in the CPF for sale forum. I don't have mine listed yet since I am still playing with LED colors. I just got in some XML2 T5 in 4200k since I hate the color of the XLM T6 in 6000k. Too greenish in my SF KT-4 when installed. But even Malkoff warns of color shift.

From their web page:

ATTENTION: It has come to our attention that some stock SureFire heads impart a warmer tint to the light output. In some cases this may lean to the slightly green direction. If this is unacceptable to you. Please do not purchase this dropin.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, Malkoff MD60 (for LED) & wquiles PhD-M6 battery pack + fivemega bipin adapter (for incandescent) are worth a look ... :)

The LED Zeppelin M-Zeppelin M6 mods would be the grail, I suppose ;)

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
Using Google search I am unable to find Shrike's WTS ad over at CPFMP. The PhD pack is no longer available, and I don't think the bipin adapter is as well. It seems the only option available right now is the fivemega longer tail cap.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Using Google search I am unable to find Shrike's WTS ad over at CPFMP. The PhD pack is no longer available, and I don't think the bipin adapter is as well. It seems the only option available right now is the fivemega longer tail cap.

Neither are the "M-Zep"s ... :sigh:

MBentz

Enlightened
Guess I'll wait to see what M4A1 is making. I had an MD60 for a SureFire M4 but didn't care for the tint.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Guess I'll wait to see what M4A1 is making. I had an MD60 for a SureFire M4 but didn't care for the tint.

Jason has a couple of Nailbender modules. Cheaper than I plan on selling them for. Here's the ad. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?380720 KT4-LED-Tower-Modules-Download-SST50-18650 If they are not your cup of tea give me another month or 2 to get the color right. I have the LED tower design down perfectly. It's the darn LED tint that stinks for now.

MBentz

Enlightened

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles PhD-M6 battery pack would be the ultimate upgrade, but a 2x18650 battery holder would be a close second. I think the M6 really works best when used with the stock incan lamp assemblies. If you convert it to LED, you're losing a lot of the throw.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to derail the thread...but who is Andrew Rouse? A search didn't turn up much.
From memory he designed a doohickey, took lots of peoples money and never supplied the doohickey to the people who's money he took.

maybe searching using AWR instead of Andrew Rouse will bring up more posts (cheers and jeers over at the MP might have something too - EDIT - hall of shame over at CPFMP has a few threads on the AWR saga)

it was a long time ago, and something i didnt pay too much attention too at the time.

as for the M6 - i am still running an incan solution - Lumensfactory IMR or HO M3T bulbs with a 2x18650 adapter and a pair of AW 2600mah cells.
i also have a Lumensfactory P7 M head - slightly smaller and a bit heavier than the stock Millenium Turbohead - with a 700ish lumen coolwhite P7 led in the front - not a bad performer, but i prefer the colour rendition of the incan beam

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
wquiles PhD-M6 battery pack would be the ultimate upgrade, but a 2x18650 battery holder would be a close second. I think the M6 really works best when used with the stock incan lamp assemblies. If you convert it to LED, you're losing a lot of the throw.

I agree. I put up a thread at CPFMP in the WTB section. Ideally I'd like to use two 18650s and I'm definitely not converting it to LED. That's blasphemous.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would second the advice of cland72 and Echo63...

Keep the M6 incandescent and power it with a 2x18650 adapter. Use Lumensfactory EO M3T (450 Lumens) or HO M3T (380 Lumens) bulbs. This is what I use in my M6 as well.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the plan. Finding one someone is willing to part with is going to be a PITA though.
Post a WTB over in the Marketplace - that's how I found mine !

Or you could attempt to make one yourself - it's a pretty simple design, I'm sure a friend with a lathe/mill/3d printer could knock one up in their spare time if properly rewarded with beer

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
hunt down a wquiles PhD-M6. I did and it's the best thing I've ever done for my M6. it'll be expensive and hard to find, but completely worth it