Looking for a diving light with high lumen, medium size.

Issue

Enlightened
Hi.

Im looking for a diving light. Here is what i would like if it had:

- Waterproof to atleast 50m/150ft.
- Medium size, TK75 is perfect, can go bigger if needed.
- High lumen, 3-6000.
- Medium throw with good spill.
- Prefer 18650 battery's.
- If its possible to reach and mod the driver, its a big plus!

I like the Xtar D35, but the model is about 2years, and lumens is not very high, have to be something better out there today!

Any ideas?

Issue

Chenery88

Newly Enlightened
Sorry you're not having much luck....maybe a bit throwy and not got the lumen count but while researching the SRT5 I noted the Nitecore SRT7 is recommended for diving down to at least 40m (they took one to 100). It is 18650.... And with the smart ring you can change the output and even go into SOS mode if you did get Into trouble and need to attract the boat at the surface....

Here is a YouTube link of it diving...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PCO1PiGNw

I am guessing there must be some better dive specific ones as heat sinking is sorted...but it has the bonus of being a good multi use light and has good reviews here on CPF... Happy hunting.... ;)

Issue

Enlightened
Thank you Chenery88. I feel that 960 lumen is abit low. But it is interesting that the light can handle 60m depth but is only rated with IPX-8 and 2meter. TM26 have the exact same IPX rating, any chance that light can be used for diving?

Chenery88

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Chenery88. I feel that 960 lumen is abit low. But it is interesting that the light can handle 60m depth but is only rated with IPX-8 and 2meter. TM26 have the exact same IPX rating, any chance that light can be used for diving?
My understanding is the IPX is a minimum standard...the 8 being the highest for waterproof submersion standard - greater than 1m for a duration specified by the manufacturer. So it depends what they measure and rate to....I saw Nitecore have tried it out with the SRT 6&7 but not sure if the TM26 would....if you google Nitecore dive lights only the SRT6 and 7 are rated by them...often the issue diving is the switch getting depressed....I guess the SRT ring gets around that...
Anyone with a TM26 what to be reckless and dive with one? That would answer for you !

Issue

Enlightened
My understanding is the IPX is a minimum standard...the 8 being the highest for waterproof submersion standard - greater than 1m for a duration specified by the manufacturer. So it depends what they measure and rate to....I saw Nitecore have tried it out with the SRT 6&7 but not sure if the TM26 would....if you google Nitecore dive lights only the SRT6 and 7 are rated by them...often the issue diving is the switch getting depressed....I guess the SRT ring gets around that...
Anyone with a TM26 what to be reckless and dive with one? That would answer for you !

Yea i think you are right. Too many buttoms and displays on the TM26 so i think its low chance for that light to take any depths.. will send a mail to nitecore and ask.

I'm in the exact same boat as you mate. I've emailed Xtar and asked if they plan on an XM-L2 D35, they said no :(
Like you said, a TK-75 that could be used underwater would be perfect, how does nothing like this exist?! How can the Xtar D35 have literally zero competition in the way of multi emitter LED dive lights?!!?

whtwalker

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Fenix SD10. It doesn't have 3000lm, but it is a neutral white LED with 930 lm and is rated to 100 meters. I got it for $54 USD. It might be a little of $100 with shipping. I'm going to test it this weekend on some reef walking and free diving to 10-15 meters.

I just got the Fenix SD10. It doesn't have 3000lm, but it is a neutral white LED with 930 lm and is rated to 100 meters. I got it for $54 USD. It might be a little of $100 with shipping. I'm going to test it this weekend on some reef walking and free diving to 10-15 meters.

I think I'd prefer to Xtar D26 with it's 26650 compatibility, battery indicator and slightly better brightness (even with older U3 emitter)

gigahertz

Newly Enlightened

So how did the dive go?

Any issues or thought on this light so far?

I have been waiting for this light to become availabe since it's announcement and hopefully it will not have much new model related issues.

Also, I just called FenixUSA at Colorado and they said that the SD10 has not been released by them because of unspecified issues at the factory. I hope that does not mean that there are problems with the SD10.

Another thing I'm wondering about, in the videos of the SD10 at trade shows they showed the light with 2 battery tuber for 2x18650 cells but so far I have yet to come across anywhere offering the extra battery tube for sale. Wonder what has changed.

Questions questions.......

Link deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

UnderPar

Enlightened
IIRC, I think there were two brands that I've read before that also offers diving lights. Klarus and Acebeam. You might want to check their models and specs