D25Cvn Fogged up? Solved.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
My D25C (Vn if it matters) Just fogged up, has anyone ever experienced a flashlight fogging up? Never knew it could happen I see no way for moisture to get in, its a IPX8 "waterproof" torch, so it should be sealed from water, the lens has a small cercle of fog that wont go away and I see no way to open it (Not that I want to) for it to defog.

I have no been going from hot to really cold conditions ether???

I used it outside to take the bins out but spilt some coke or milk or somin on my hands so rinsed them off (Whilst holding the torch) under a luke warm / cold (I cant remember) tap and then went back outside and then when I cam back in I noticed it was fogged up!!

Im sure it will go (Hope it will) the flashlight was running on turbo so maybe the heat had something to do with it, running it on turbo wont get rid of the fog I tred that already....hoped it might evaporate or somin.

Any clues why and how this happened and how do get rid of it and has it happened to you?

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Re: D25Cvn Fogged up?

It's waterproof not air-tight ;)
Had the same with many of my lights. Just keep using them and it should go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Open the battery compartment and then place the head in a closed container of uncooked rice. Leave it a day or so. Hopefully that will get all the moisture out.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened

ok Thanks, new one for me I have to admit and I regularly go from hot to cold and runn my IPEX8 lights under taps, in the sink, and cheaper ones submerged in water for a party trick, and even very occasionally in the shower...Im strange I know!!!!

Ill see how it goes, it has spread out a bit but heavly fogged in middle of lens but some finer fog now covers the whole head of it Ill see what its like in the morning as you said hopefully go away by itself, would putting it in the airing cupboard overnight help???

supra1988t

Newly Enlightened

Also make sure your seals are not torn and are well lubed.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok Thanks, new one for me I have to admit and I regularly go from hot to cold and runn my IPEX8 lights under taps, in the sink, and cheaper ones submerged in water for a party trick, and even very occasionally in the shower...Im strange I know!!!!

Ill see how it goes, it has spread out a bit but heavly fogged in middle of lens but some finer fog now covers the whole head of it Ill see what its like in the morning as you said hopefully go away by itself, would putting it in the airing cupboard overnight help???

Try the rice trick I described in my previous post. The rice should act as a desicant and hopefully remove the moisture.

After that, you might want to disassemble the light and lube up all the o-rings. Unfortunately, you might have to remove the pill to do this as there should be an o-ring next to the lens. If your light doesn't have a removable bezel, you might need to unscrew and remove the pill to get at the front of the light.

Incidentally, removing the innards is also probably the best way to dry out the light.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Re: D25Cvn Fogged up? SOLVED

RIGHT, I did not realize he bezel was removable, but after looking at it twisted it a bit, to find it was not done up properly as it came undone very very easily, maybe I knocked it at some point or something who knows, so I took off the bezel and and took out the lens, and re seated the O'Ring and lens and did it back up again but tightly this time (I did think about lubing the Oring in front of and behind the lens but decided that could get messy and get lube on the reflector and I did not want this!!!!)

So I have left them dry but they seem fine, its not something that will be opened often, if at all again. I hate taking bezels off as no matter what I do I get dust on the reflector, luckily I only got a bit, and I can live with it, I wont try to remove the dust as to high a risk of scratching the reflector, I don't know of anyway to clean this part of the light without damaging the reflector so ideally try to just not exposes it at all unless needed.

The fog was gone when I started this but after doing this it will still fog up but is 80% improved and the fog vanishes after 30 seconds or a min after turning it off from turbo/High, much better, maybe it was not seated 100% correct or I jarred it at some point?

Ether way its now solved and Im a happy camper, this little thing is amazing!!

On a side note, I also cleaned the brass threads (They had some black gritty residue, likely from the threads bedding in from use) and have not but will lube them (Cant find Silicone Grease), coincidently it seems to get hotter faster now (Like it did when I got it, not that I have had it long) and is brighter too!

So I think is anyone has a D25C/A maby after a weeks use or so just cheack you threads and give them a good clean after they have bedded in, you should not need to do it again after this though.

(This is not isolated to the D25 lights though, I have found all lights I own to get a bit gritty and get a black paste on them after some use but then after the first clean they don't get gritty again for a looong time, Im sure its just the thread bedding in.)

My D40A and my B20 both had the gritty paste build up and were then fine after there first cleaning.

Amazing little thing, worth every penny!

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad the problem is solved.

The rice trick should solve your problem with the bit of remaining moisture on the lens. Loosen, but do not remove, the bezel .... then place the head in a sealed container of uncooked dry rice for 12 hours. As soon as you remove it, tighten up the bezel. The moisture should be gone.

Alternatively, you could remove the bezel and reflector then place the head LED-up in a container of dry rice for 12 hours. Don't immerse the head though as you don't want rice bits on your LED.

To clean dust off your reflector try a compressed air can to blow it off.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Glad sorted:D its even better when you find a reason behind the cause as stops the guess work or loosing confidence :thumbsup:

alex21

Newly Enlightened

Same thing happened to mine a few days ago. It's winter here and been pretty cool lately. Was all fogged up and couldn't even see the emitter, everything was sealed and head was tight. Appears to be ok now.

TweakMDS

Enlightened

Compressed air is a bad idea to use on any kind of optics. It's not pure compressed air but has solvents in it that will stain. A better solution would be to use a rocket blower and/or lenspen like the ones you use to clean camera lenses.