TK75 vs TK76

drummer132132

Enlightened
Hello all,

Looking to get a new TK series light from Fenix to replace the four or five Misc lights I currently own. One to rule them all so to speak. So far I've narrowed my search to either the TK75 or TK76. Primary use would be walking around our neighborhood, night hikes, household use etc (and maybe just plain old fun of having something ridiculously bright :D). What recommendation would you folks have of what is the best combination of throw and flood? My gut says go towards the TK75 but the appeal of the flood capabilities and decent spot of the TK76 have me second guessing. Also, which handles the heat better? I've been watching so many videos on each that I remember hearing that the TK75 can be repetitively turned back on to turbo after each 20 min step down without fear of it being to hot and even until the batteries can't support turbo anymore. Is this true? How does the TK76 compare with the same scenario when on turbo for a long period of time? If I read the heat chart from the Fenix website correctly you can continuously run the TK76 on turbo and it will drop %'s but then go back up again but I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly. Any input would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

John D.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi John,the 2600lm tk75 is 20 mins then can be set back on turbo,the 2900lm is 15 minutes.

iirc kj2 has both so may be able to answer that.

I have the tk75vn and love it,imho i think the tk76 is on the expensive side compared to the tk75 but admittedly there is more to it with led indicators per led to show power levels and battery life.........

The tk75vn is 4400lm,look
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?374328-WTS-TK75vn-4400L

2 spaces left,its awesome................

drummer132132

Enlightened
Is the cooling good enough on the TK75 where you can reset turbo every time it steps down without fear of overheating and damaging the LED?

ven

Flashaholic
Presume standard,roberto(capolini) does regular for up to 2hrs iirc at a time whilst walking capo.With extender kit even longer times.

I go off temp with any light,reg modded one at 4400lm i have not tried on a long run,the 2nd mode is adequate in most cases,once a light(any light) starts to get warm to a guesstimate of around 50oC i will drop a mode to cool,be it standard or modded.Once it gets to around 60oC it becomes a hand swap every couple of seconds so enough warning.Too add your hand helps dissipate heat(tail standing for a long time on turbo=not good long term with any light).Also outside temp will have a bearing on the temp too,in hotter climates i am sure you wont be able to run on turbo,reset as many times as you would in cooler climates.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock TK75 is safe to run on turbo indefinitely. Capolini is one member here who does that...he has been running it in turbo non-stop for most of the last year (an hour or more most nights) with no problems. The TK75vn definitely CANNOT be safely run on turbo for long periods...the trade-off for the ridiculous brightness is more heat and shorter runtime.

If you really want to use it indoors, I think you should go with the TK76. The TK75 is a nice mix of flood and throw, but not great for indoor use...if you turn the light up high enough to get a pretty decent spill, the hotspot will be blinding. I love my TK75...but you gotta match a light to it's use. If you want an all-rounder, it seems like the TK76 is definitely a better choice.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Yeah for indoor use the tk76 would make more sense. I do have a PD35 which is probably more suited for the indoor role so picking up a tk75 would make sense. If the tk75 can be continuously used on turbo then it would probably be safe to assume the tk76 would do the same. Anyone out there own a tk76 and have any input?

Capolini

Banned
Hi its Capolini!!

I can only speak for the TK75 as far as having it. From what I have seen about the TK76 [reviews/videos, ect.] The TK75 is no doubt a better torch for balance of flood and throw than the TK76,,It is cheaper, less bulky and a better torch overall IMO.

Yes, You can run on turbo for the duration of the battery life,,,minus the split second step downs. Even in the summer the torch can handle that and does not get too hot. I got around 65 minutes of turbo with the standard 3400mAh Panasonic cells[4] and w/ext.[8] I tested it and got 2h54min. of turbo!!! 8 batteries,less stress on each battery more than doubles the run time!!:thumbsup:

good luck

p.s. not really a kind of light to walk around the house with,although you could with the 4 modes,,In addition I would recommend an edc light from Fenix, Olight, Nitecore ect.!:)

Last edited:

drummer132132

Enlightened
Just received my TK76. So far I am really enjoying the light. Versatile is the word that comes to mind to describe it. Has decent throw and extremely good flood capabilities. I was able to light up my entire backyard with the 2 floods together on High. Turbo would have worked but wasn't necessary :) I would say the Spotlight has enough throw for myself personally but if you're the type who values throw over flood look at the TK75 (Vinh mod for the spotlight of the TK76 inc???). For inside use it is definitely more user friendly. It can tail stand while on a flat surface so if say during an outage and you needed light you can beam the ceiling though if one had a choice use a tripod and point it up to the ceiling to illuminate the room. The flood from the 120 degree angle LED, if tail standing and on low, could possibly be bothersome (would be in your eyes). These are my initial thoughts thus far. I am planning on taking a night walk around my neighborhood as well at a local state park to see how it does but overall pretty content.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice.
Enjoy your new toy.
Soon vinh will release his version of the tk76vn.

Should be another vn beast

dml24

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

Looking to get a new TK series light from Fenix to replace the four or five Misc lights I currently own. One to rule them all so to speak. So far I've narrowed my search to either the TK75 or TK76. Primary use would be walking around our neighborhood, night hikes, household use etc (and maybe just plain old fun of having something ridiculously bright :D). What recommendation would you folks have of what is the best combination of throw and flood? My gut says go towards the TK75 but the appeal of the flood capabilities and decent spot of the TK76 have me second guessing. Also, which handles the heat better? I've been watching so many videos on each that I remember hearing that the TK75 can be repetitively turned back on to turbo after each 20 min step down without fear of it being to hot and even until the batteries can't support turbo anymore. Is this true? How does the TK76 compare with the same scenario when on turbo for a long period of time? If I read the heat chart from the Fenix website correctly you can continuously run the TK76 on turbo and it will drop %'s but then go back up again but I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly. Any input would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

John D.

Either light will fullfill the ridiculously bright requirement. Both lights would rarely need to be on the medium setting around the house. Outdoors the high settings should be more than bright enough. One would want to illuminate things at an extreme distance, like say for search and rescue ops., to need a turbo setting for more than just an occasional look at what's 700 yards or more ahead of you. The TK75, from most reports has a better, that is larger area of spill light around the central hotspot.