What are the smallest, good quality PROECTED 18650's?

Hey everyone,

After forcing 3 NCRB's into my K40vn a few times I've decided that it's no longer worth the risk of damaging either my cells or the carrier, so I'm looking for some slightly shorter protected 18650's.

After doing a bit of my own research I've found Eagletac's to be a bit shorter (68mm as opposed to the 69.6mm of the NCRB's) while still having good quality built in protection.

So, here's a couple of questions:

1. Who owns a K40 (or similar) that use the same carrier and what cells do you use?
2. What are the shortest (good quality) protected 18650's on the market?
3. Where can I source ET 18650's for less than $75AUD for 3?!?!? Expensive much?
4. Would unprotected cells be an option and would they be long enough?
5. On another forum a member mentioned I needed Seiko protection circuit, this is true and should I be looking at Keeppower cells?

Sorry about all the questions, I just don't want to damage my pride and joy light but forcing long cells into it.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Eagletac's are indeed one of the shortest.
Keeppower is good quality as well. And for 75 AUDollar, should be a easy job.

Last edited:

TheVat26

Enlightened
+1 on the EagleTac 18650's. I have three of the protected 3100 mah ones and not a single issue. I'm in the U.S. so so info on sellers on your island.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I'm in the U.S. so so info on sellers on your island.
Australia is a continent.
XviFY8n.jpg

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
SoShine 18650s are a lot cheaper...two for $18 at Illumination Supply, quality protected cells. And their max height is 68.3 mm, very similar to Eagletac and shorter than almost all other protected cells. Shipping will add some but it is still going to be the most economical option. There are based on the same Panasonic cell underneath, after all. Eagletac charges a premium for the name.

SoShine 18650s are a lot cheaper...two for $18 at Illumination Supply, quality protected cells. And their max height is 68.3 mm, very similar to Eagletac and shorter than almost all other protected cells. Shipping will add some but it is still going to be the most economical option. There are based on the same Panasonic cell underneath, after all. Eagletac charges a premium for the name.

That's a really good suggestion, will probably go with it, thank you

Capolini

Banned
Hey everyone,

After forcing 3 NCRB's into my K40vn a few times I've decided that it's no longer worth the risk of damaging either my cells or the carrier, so I'm looking for some slightly shorter protected 18650's.

After doing a bit of my own research I've found Eagletac's to be a bit shorter (68mm as opposed to the 69.6mm of the NCRB's) while still having good quality built in protection.

So, here's a couple of questions:

1. Who owns a K40 (or similar) that use the same carrier and what cells do you use?
2. What are the shortest (good quality) protected 18650's on the market?
3. Where can I source ET 18650's for less than $75AUD for 3?!?!? Expensive much?
4. Would unprotected cells be an option and would they be long enough?
5. On another forum a member mentioned I needed Seiko protection circuit, this is true and should I be looking at Keeppower cells?

Sorry about all the questions, I just don't want to damage my pride and joy light but forcing long cells into it.

I guess you did not believe me on the K40 thread when you asked me this a few days ago!! lol!!!:laughing:

I thought you had ordered E'Tac?!!!!

1.Eagletac
2.AW

Others mentioned Keeppower. I would not consider them short at 68.9mm. I would NOT recommend them for that reason for the K40vn,they are the same size as my Orbtronic and Cytac which would be too tight for my likeness.

Another one that IS sells are "Soshine",,,,,,,I never used them but they are only $10/each and use Panasonic cells. They are also short button tops at 68.3mm

I guess you did not believe me on the K40 thread when you asked me this a few days ago!! lol!!!:laughing:

I thought you had ordered E'Tac?!!!!

1.Eagletac
2.AW

Others mentioned Keeppower. I would not consider them short at 68.9mm. I would NOT recommend them for that reason for the K40vn,they are the same size as my Orbtronic and Cytac which would be too tight for my likeness.

Another one that IS sells are "Soshine",,,,,,,I never used them but they are only $10/each and use Panasonic cells. They are also short button tops at 68.3mm

Haha, knew that post was coming ;)
I just wanted know what other options are out there as ET cells are SOOOOO expensive.
The Soshine ones are very appealing.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a good read

Capolini

Banned
Cytacs are decent for the price. Panasonic cells w a pcb.

They are good batteries. however, at 68.9mm they are uncomfortably tight for the K40vn,,,,the flashlight that op has and is looking for the shorter batteries! I mentioned Cytac in my post # 12, unfortunately not as a candidate for this torch.:)

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Just a quick question here, is it true the less the Nimh of a battery the smaller the battery. Say for eg a 3100 mAh battery will be smaller than a 3400 mAh. Is this true

Capolini

Banned
Just a quick question here, is it true the less the Nimh of a battery the smaller the battery. Say for eg a 3100 mAh battery will be smaller than a 3400 mAh. Is this true

I think you mean mAh? Nimh is not a Lithium Ion battery,that stands for Nickel Metal Hydride.

18650 are usually from 2200mAh to 3400Mah,,,that is capacity, not a size[length] reference. Although sometimes as capacity increases, protected batteries will sometimes be/get a bit longer.

Example below shows that mAh increases and the size does NOT.

Example" Eagletac[protected] 2500,2900,3100 AND 3400mAh L.ion batteries are ALL 68mm

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I think you mean mAh? Nimh is not a Lithium Ion battery,that stands for Nickel Metal Hydride.

18650 are usually from 2200mAh to 3400Mah,,,that is capacity, not a size[length] reference. Although sometimes as capacity increases, protected batteries will sometimes be/get a bit longer.

Example below shows that mAh increases and the size does NOT.

Example" Eagletac[protected] 2500,2900,3100 AND 3400mAh L.ion batteries are ALL 68mm

Orbies can be...persuaded into a k40 vn by a firm but gentle hand...

Capolini

Banned
Orbies can be...persuaded into a k40 vn by a firm but gentle hand...

I know that! I mentioned that if you read my earlier posts! They are too tight for my liking.;)

That would be post # 12.

Using you for an example!! No hard feelings!

I have noticed that people ask questions and post information that someone else answered or posted,,,,,,,,,,I am not talking about a thread with 300 posts,new ones like this! lol! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts