Review: Fenix TK12/TK09 (XP-G2, max. 450 lumens, 1* 18650 or 2*CR123)

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review-section -

A while back, Fenix updated the TK12 and fitted a XP-G2 into the light. This new version will be renamed to the TK09. Originally the TK12 is the successor of the TK11.
This review will be a short write-up on this light :)

16a1no9.jpg
5lorap.jpg

25isw08.jpg

Specifications: (from Fenix)

·Cree XP-G2 (R5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries
·130mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Body Diameter) x 34mm(Head Diameter)
·114-gram weight (excluding the battery)
·Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
·Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
·Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
·Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

15ycaxc.jpg

Included with the light; holster, lanyard, spare o-ring and rubber switch-cover.

The body the TK12/TK09 feels good in hand. Solid and tough. Overall knurling is quite good, and the light is easy to operate even with gloves on.
Due the size of this light and the fact it has two springs, the TK12/TK09 can be weapon-mounted. Fenix shows on their webpage
there is a remote-switch for this light. Fenix also offers color-filters for the TK12/TK09, which make this light very suitable for any situation.

313fvqc.jpg

287gh2h.jpg

34pffxh.jpg

As feature what many people like, is that the TK12/TK09 can be used as a candle. :)

9jk8ya.jpg

The UI:

The interface of the TK12/TK09 is quite unique. With one switch you have momentary as well a mode-switch.
From off: press button half-way to get momentary. Press all the way to turn on the light.
When the light is on, tap the button to switch from High to low and then medium. The TK12/TK09 doesn't have a memory, so the light
always comes on in high mode. Something what many prefer with a tactical/defense light.

2j64pk.jpg
28m1hfq.jpg

29epszm.jpg
zyho35.jpg

Threads are smooth and lubed. With the tactical-ring on the light can be held in various ways. The tactical-grip has his own threads, so the grip-ring doesn't move
around the battery-tube. The grip-ring can be removed and the spacer-ring of the TK11 can be installed to cover-up the threads.

And at last a little size comparison between the 'old' TK11 R2 and the TK12/TK09. They are both very similar in size.
Tested outside, I do see the TK11 R2 to have a little bit more reach. The TK12/TK09 should have more intensity but overall they are close competitors.

160yn3n.jpg
2r7yiav.jpg

260d2rq.jpg
16gykcx.jpg

34r9jmb.jpg
152olj7.jpg

At the end, I find the TK12/TK09 a worthy successor of the TK11. The light is slightly smaller and runtime is improved.
The light the small enough for some, to carry it as EDC. The quality is as good as you expect from Fenix. I did hoped that the TK12/TK09 has some more throw. With the lumens and throw
it has, objects between 0-50/60 meters away are easy visible. Further away, the TK12/TK09 has a hard time. Overall, a great light for the price it has :)

Last edited:

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
The TK12 (XP-G2) was my most recent Fenix purchase. A call to Fenix Store got me a spacer ring thrown in for a minimal fee. I really like the light with the spacer ring in place of the grip ring. I wish they would include the spacer ring in the box.

The light seems to be at home in my coat pocket or on my bike handlebar. The XP-G2 gives a nice sized hotspot for lighting up a traffic lane far ahead of me. With careful aiming, the light doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

ToddC

Newly Enlightened
"Due the size of this light and the fact it has two springs, the TK12/TK09 can be weapon-mounted."

No tailcap spring in mine (nor in your pictures).

I'll add that empirically I've found the 'low energy warning' (the light starts flashing) on 18650 is when the cell is at 3.6V unloaded.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
The interface of the TK12/TK09 is quite unique. With one switch you have momentary as well a mode-switch.
From off: press button half-way to get momentary. Press all the way to turn on the light.
When the light is on, tap the button to switch from High to low and then medium.
Not other way around (high-med-low)?
Tested outside, I do see the TK11 R2 to have a little bit more reach. The TK12/TK09 should have more intensity but overall they are close competitors.
Really? 200 lm and 2000 lux/1m more should be visible difference and TK12/09 is the one that suppose to have more throw.

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
"Due the size of this light and the fact it has two springs, the TK12/TK09 can be weapon-mounted."

I'll add that empirically I've found the 'low energy warning' (the light starts flashing) on 18650 is when the cell is at 3.6V unloaded.
One thing I've noticed about the low energy warning is that it will sometimes flash with a fully charged battery when used on my bike at freezing temperatures. This only occurs when using on high mode. When it warms up above freezing, it quits flashing on high. I venture to guess that the cold battery isn't providing enough power to satisfy the light's low energy threshold. If I had to rely on high, it would make a problem. Since I ride with about 700 lumens total (between helmet light and bar light), I can run the TK12 on medium in such situations and avoid the flash.

kj2

Flashaholic

There is a spring under the cover in the tailcap. It is hard to press, but it will absorb shocks.

kj2

Flashaholic
Not other way around (high-med-low)?

Really? 200 lm and 2000 lux/1m more should be visible difference and TK12/09 is the one that suppose to have more throw.
Checked again, it it really goes from High > Low > Med.
Numbers are indeed higher for the TK12/TK09, but to my eyes the TK11 R2 has a slightly further throwing beam.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you please check if it goes in the same sequence after med mode? Thanks

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was asking about the sequence after medium. Is it High > Low > Med > High > Low > Med and so on?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checked again, it it really goes from High > Low > Med.
Numbers are indeed higher for the TK12/TK09, but to my eyes the TK11 R2 has a slightly further throwing beam.

Was the R2 emitter pretty throwy? I have the TK11 R5 and I'm assuming this xp-g2 TK12/TK09 throws somewhat further than that and with a bigger hotspot.

kj2

Flashaholic
Was the R2 emitter pretty throwy? I have the TK11 R5 and I'm assuming this xp-g2 TK12/TK09 throws somewhat further than that and with a bigger hotspot.

For what I remember the R2 had some more throw than the R5. The R5 had more lumens.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what I remember the R2 had some more throw than the R5. The R5 had more lumens.
Difference in lumens wasn't that big, some 30 lumens if the Fenix pre-ANSI method of calculating lumens was consistent: there are a few pictures taken by people who owned both versions of the TK12 or TK11 and the R2 appeared to throw further but R5 had a much better spill.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming that they have the same reflectors, XP-G2 shouldn't produce bigger hotspot, just more intensive.

Last edited:

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
Just a heads-up: The model number change appears to have gone into effect. I picked up a TK09 today from my local shop.

XJ-light

Newly Enlightened
Is the 2 hours runtime at max is continuous or a combined runtime before stepdown?