Tec Backup Light

betti154

Enlightened
Guys,

Anyone know of a handheld backup light that meets the following criteria?

Size: Reasonably small, max 30x200mm
Output: 300-400lm (min)
Beam: Very tight (less than 10 degrees, aspheric lens?)
Depth: 150m (min)
Power: Rechargeable 18650, or CR123 primaries could work
Burn time: 4hours (min)
Tie point: ability to tie a boltsnap at the end

Operation: ideally on/off simple function, no twisting orings, magnetic or piezo switch). I can live with high-low, but no flashing BS though.
Quality: High - I need it to work where I'm going.

I've got a cave trip coming and want to be packing some decent backup lights, but can't see much out there that fits the bill. Intova lights come close but aren't rated to the depth I require.

thanks, ds

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIV05 ticks most of those boxes. Modify it with a different driver to get lower output/longer run time.
I have several and modified a couple.

MAD23

Newly Enlightened
Mine's ticks all of your points in the 3 mode version, with full power and 3400mAh batteries you wouldnt get the 4 hours runtime, but you can select any of the other modes, in low you should have at least 6 hours runtime...

betti154

Enlightened
DIV05 ticks most of those boxes. Modify it with a different driver to get lower output/longer run time.
I have several and modified a couple.

A modded div05 would be similar to that little dive rite backup I imagine?

betti154

Enlightened
Mine's ticks all of your points in the 3 mode version, with full power and 3400mAh batteries you wouldnt get the 4 hours runtime, but you can select any of the other modes, in low you should have at least 6 hours runtime...

Do you have cost (2 units) + shipping to oz?

Beam shot?

Dimensions?

Thanks, ds

MAD23

Newly Enlightened
Do you have cost (2 units) + shipping to oz?

Beam shot?

Dimensions?

Thanks, ds

I only have this crappy photo here, if you need something better please ask for it:

beamshot.jpg

Its 120mm x 40mm

1922396_10152227935871839_2050369900_n.jpg

I need the complete address where you need them to calculate shipping rates.

Thanks!!

jspeybro

Enlightened
I guess a modded greenforce diamond comes close to your requirements.
it's small, fits a fresnel lens, works with a 16650 battery (I bought them from intl-outdoor, but doesn't seem to be available anymore there), just a twist on off, has holes for boltsnap (although not all versions have it in the middle)
I have one with an XML and 1 with an XPG. XPG gives tightest and brightest beam. I choose the current to last about 1.5h, but if you reduce the current to about 700mA for an XPG2, you'll get about 4h of burn time and 250 lumen. The batteries I used were 2.2Ah.

Here you can find some info on the XML mod:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...orce-diamond-mod&highlight=greenforce+diamond

The diamond is an older product that since has been replaced by this one:
http://www.green-force.com/DiveTorches/Kit_H1+MonoXPGH.html
supports an 18650 so should allow a bit more power for the same burn time, already comes with an XPG. Not sure if there's enough room to fit a fresnel lens though as I never had one.
This one has more lumens, but probably doens't get you the 4h burn time.
http://www.green-force.com/DiveTorches/Diamond60018650.html

These ligths are basically bomb proof. Not the chinese things where you have to risk flooding.

Last edited by a moderator: