I'm thinking of sinking a 2 C cell.

Wylie

Enlightened
I\'m thinking of sinking a 2 C cell.

So what I have planned here is a Mag (maybe unless better's suggested?) 2 C cell flashlight set up for a Lux3 sandwich. Reason being the little Habor Freight mod, the cu2 copperhead I did gets warm for my blood at about 10 or so minutes into run time. I'm planning on something very similar to the cu2 in the way of the cu with the 2 C cell. That copper moves the heat in a big way but just how much would you figure a three to four hour run time might take? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I could make an attempt at the math but I don't have a clue on the heat at its origin (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif at myself) so your more educated opinions are very welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Am I going to need a cart to tote this thing around or what? The sandwich is a MMWO/TVOK I might swap for a SWAK or something a little whiter.
I'll try to get more pictures and information posted this time guys. I think the little cu2 is one watt bound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: I\'m thinking of sinking a 2 C cell.

Mag 2C is such a big light that maybe you want to look at an Elektrolumens Blaster 1R. Maybe it's time for Wayne to upgrade that thing to a 3 watt led.

Wylie

Enlightened

Are you pushing on this thing or what I think I read a post that mentioned this earlier? I don't think it has much metal in it's head and the front end of the little Harbor Freight I modded is a little heavy now.

paulr

Flashaholic

I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't follow the history of the harborfreight though. Trying to boost two C's to three watts sounds a little bit marginal (you want it to keep working down to 0.9 volts per cell or so). Actually the light I'd like to see used for this is the Streamlight Stinger.

Wylie

Enlightened

What can I get one of those for?
So you are saying that the batteries wouldn't be correct for the application?
The Jr. might get hot like the cu2 I built. About ten minutes into run time it gets warm enough I feel best turning it off. cu2

paulr

Flashaholic

Blaster 2R? I think Wayne J. sells them for around 50 bucks. But I'm thinking there's two issues in a 3 watt light, thermal mass and power. The Blasters must have enough mass if properly set up. There's a lot of Pelican M6/McModule 3 watt setups that are taking the heat just fine. But if you want to run something like a BB900, two 1.5 volt cells might not be enough for the sandwich to generate the necessary current, once the cells are partly depleted. You might want to check on the Sandwich Shoppe board about that. Three or four cells might work better.

Wylie

Enlightened

I'm not really looking for a flame thrower just a dependable flashlight that may benefit for some copper. I just have never really liked the larger flashlights and the sandwiches have a versitilty to them I like..

paulr

Flashaholic

I'd figured you wanted a 2C instead of 2x123 because you wanted the economy of C cells. Rereading though, maybe you meant three 123's and a Downboy sandwich? That would be a great combo. The 2C host is a little on the large side but it really would be a flame thrower. The HF is probably best at 1 watt.

As for a dependable, practical flashlight, lately I've been desirous of a Streamlight Polystinger. I figure LED's have more techno appeal, but except in special situations or in low powered lights, incandescents still work just fine.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

for larger lights, aluminum works better because you have more mass and surface area to work with, and the lighter weight and cost of aluminum is nice.

for smaller lights, copper can help in some cases. it's heavier, but also can suck the heat up beter. lights such as the firefly can benifit from having a copper module, because the small size of the light makes the thermal capacity more important.
generally speaking, unless your lights is really small, then it's best to stick with aluminum.

Wylie

Enlightened

The only thing that detours me from the 123s is cost truthfully. In the summer months I fish often in the evenings/nights and some of the people I fish with never seem to bring flashlights so the kids or who ever are usually running around with one of my flashlights and they leave them on all night. Sometimes we walk in a little ways to get to better fishing spots and this accounts for my fondness to the smaller flashlights, okay the weight of copper is a drag when your packing in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I think I should make a lot better sense with the next copper head. I plan on completely illuminating any copper contact with the battery cylinder. The means to my madness is to create a path that the heat will have to follow before its greater percentage has a chance to effect the batteries so it should be a little more power efficient and cost effective. The use of a Sapphire lens is also in the plans as a means of transferring heat outside the body of the flashlight as it will rest against the copper inside the head of the flashlight. The heat will eventually end up back at the battery cylinder through the head to the threads and all but maybe just not as fast as it would if the contact between the battery cylinder and the sandwich are not so direct. I think this makes real sense and with another sandwich I can have the 3X123 combination with a Lux3 or even a five-watt on a down boy for that matter. I'm on a mission but it is going to take some pretty fancy tools to prove this theory! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif