how to focus for max throw?

Starik1

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere, but I looked and couldn't find it.

I have a dedomed light with an aspherical lens that is adjustable. I want to adjust it for maximum throw, but I'm not sure what that looks like.

I am pointing it at the wall about 6 feet away and trying to adjust it so that the picture of the LED is as crisp as possible. But I can see a very clearly defined LED-shaped spot over a wide range. The surrounding corona goes through changes in color and size, but there isn't a clear point where this reaches a minimum. If the blue/purple of the corona is small, then the orange part is wider and vice versa.

Is there a better way to do this?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically just focus it until the image of the emitter die is as crisp as possible. You should see the textures on top of the die (little spots for XML2/XPG2 or current spreader lines for XML/XPG).

If you want to absolutely max throw you may need to buy a lux meter and then take measurements after making each adjustment.

Starik1

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so basically what I was doing then. I see a square die with a thin rectangular protrusion extending from one side, but it looks pretty crisp over a wide adjustment range.

Thank you for your reply.

inetdog

Enlightened
You may find that the wall at 6' is too close though.
Depends on the focal length of the lens you use.
For a large, longer FL, lens you should double check using a more distant wall.