Nitecore Diffuser/Filter Review

soul347

Newly Enlightened
So my 2 diffusers came in the mail and I thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

NDF40 Diffuser http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=80

NFD40 Filter http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=78

Here are my initial observations:

NDF40 Diffuser (Cone shaped):
-This works like a lantern. It not only shoots light straight ahead, but spreads light directly around the diffuser itself.
-It works great for lighting up a small area while tail standing especially if you are outside and don't have a white ceiling to bounce light off, or while hanging above like on a tree or inside a tent
-It nicely diffuses the hot spot to make a uniform beam
-The beam isn't perfectly free from artifacts and rings
-The entire diffuser lights up so its great for getting attention, directing traffic, etc. It works great with my SRT7 because you have an instant red traffic wand while using the red LED.
-Works really well in beacon mode
-Works great for reading either by pointing directly on the page, or tail standing the light on a table
-Fits most if not all 40mm flashlight heads. I find that it doesn't go on perfectly and you have to play around with it.

NFD40 Filter:
-The filter works really well for shooting light forward and turning even a tight beam into a really nice flood light. I was very impressed by how clean the beam looks with it on, and how it really softens the light so that it isn't harsh on the eyes especially at night. Zero artifacts
-Fits perfectly on 40mm flashlights, not just nitecore. It's easy to put on and take off, but will not come off easily on its own.
-The bezel is made of a nice soft rubber, so very heat and impact resistant. When I saw the pictures I initially thought it was made of a hard plastic
-Also works great for reading, but you need to hold the light and point it toward the book

Both are great, and have their different functions.

markeday

Newly Enlightened
So my 2 diffusers came in the mail and I thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

NDF40 Diffuser http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=80

NFD40 Filter http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=78

Here are my initial observations:

NDF40 Diffuser (Cone shaped):
-This works like a lantern. It not only shoots light straight ahead, but spreads light directly around the diffuser itself.
-It works great for lighting up a small area while tail standing especially if you are outside and don't have a white ceiling to bounce light off, or while hanging above like on a tree or inside a tent
-It nicely diffuses the hot spot to make a uniform beam
-The beam isn't perfectly free from artifacts and rings
-The entire diffuser lights up so its great for getting attention, directing traffic, etc. It works great with my SRT7 because you have an instant red traffic wand while using the red LED.
-Works really well in beacon mode
-Works great for reading either by pointing directly on the page, or tail standing the light on a table
-Fits most if not all 40mm flashlight heads. I find that it doesn't go on perfectly and you have to play around with it.

NFD40 Filter:
-The filter works really well for shooting light forward and turning even a tight beam into a really nice flood light. I was very impressed by how clean the beam looks with it on, and how it really softens the light so that it isn't harsh on the eyes especially at night. Zero artifacts
-Fits perfectly on 40mm flashlights, not just nitecore. It's easy to put on and take off, but will not come off easily on its own.
-The bezel is made of a nice soft rubber, so very heat and impact resistant. When I saw the pictures I initially thought it was made of a hard plastic
-Also works great for reading, but you need to hold the light and point it toward the book
Thanks for your thoughts,I'm going to get some colored ones.

Both are great, and have their different functions.

Last edited:

Bob Damon

Enlightened
I have the NFD40, and use it on the EA4 and a Sunwayman D40a. As you reported, it works great to make a nice floody beam. Very useful when you want to see a wise area. And easy to attach and remove. Everyone should have one.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
Nitecore also has 60mm nominal flat filters and diffusers like the second link above links to that fit the TM series lights as well as the SkyRay King and clones as well as the SupFire M6 and the Fenix TK50 and TK60 as well as other 60mm and close to 60mm diameter bezel lights. Rubber body so they fit a range from about 58mm to 62mm or so. White flat front diffuser as well as red, green and blue filters are available.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Wondering if Nitecore will come out with rectangular filters/diffusers to fit the new EAX Hammer.